McGill Grad Program

smallaxe

Hi all!

Now that I'm nearing the end of my MA coursework, I'm considering schools to apply to for a PhD in socio/cultural anthropology. I'm curious to know what people have to say about the McGill Anthro program. I've heard from some that the department is low in funding and seems to be in a crisis of sorts... perhaps even amalgamating with the sociology department!

I'd love to hear some other grad students' experiences - what are the faculty-student relationships like, how did funding compare with other schools, how does the department fit into the overall university structure, etc. Feel free to DM me!

I am not a current student, but I did chat with some current students before I applied to McGill. For PhDs, it sounds like the department currently only offers 3 years of funding. Just a note though that tuition in Canada is much better than in the U.S. There is a chart on their graduate school page that can elucidate on this further: https://www.mcgill.ca/student-accounts/tuition-charges/fallwinter-term-tuition-and-fees/graduate-fees (and remember, that's in Canadian dollars, not US--- the Canadian dollar is equivalent to 77 cents on the US dollar atm). I hope this helps, but if current students want to add some information, that would be helpful to me as well! 

Hmm. That's a huge disadvantage compared to other schools. I'm Canadian so the tuition cost isn't a factor. That said, you shouldn't bank on the CAD being that low forever! :P Of course, it's still less than you would pay in the US, even if the currencies were on par!