Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

6 hours ago, chemteachersrule said:

Just wanted to hear from you all: Are you guys posting on FB/Twitter/IG/any social media that you have received a Fulbright? Or is this something that you can not reveal? I could have sworn I read somewhere years back that you shouldnt reveal it on social media (maybe im dreaming)...ive been keeping it on the low and have told only select people. What are yall's thoughts?

The only thing I have read about social media and Fulbright is that if you make a blog you have to make it explicit it's your personal thoughts and not speaking on behalf of the Fulbright program. I agree with @Horb that you're technically not awarded until you're all set and done with the paperwork and medical clearance. 

Does anyone have any insight concerning how we go about purchasing flights? I know that the program reimburses you, but is there a price limit? When do we expect to get the money back? Thanks!

52 minutes ago, jarp729 said:

Does anyone have any insight concerning how we go about purchasing flights? I know that the program reimburses you, but is there a price limit? When do we expect to get the money back? Thanks!

It is in the info they send when you win the award. It maxes out at 1400 and the options are to buy it yourself and be reimbursed or use Fulbright's travel agent.

17 minutes ago, Horb said:

It is in the info they send when you win the award. It maxes out at 1400 and the options are to buy it yourself and be reimbursed or use Fulbright's travel agent.

That would explain it. I went through all the emails I received from IIE and my host country's commission and the only thing stated was "provides round trip transportation" with no details of amount or how to go about getting in contact with the Fulbright travel agent, etc. I'll write to my contact at IIE. Thanks!

Hey all. NS for Ireland here. Just wanted to get the word out. Not too surprised since the masters program he grant was for got cancelled

42 minutes ago, jarp729 said:

That would explain it. I went through all the emails I received from IIE and my host country's commission and the only thing stated was "provides round trip transportation" with no details of amount or how to go about getting in contact with the Fulbright travel agent, etc. I'll write to my contact at IIE. Thanks!

Oh my bad! It must have just been my award letter. I assumed it was standard. Mine was $1400, which I think was round trip...but maybe per one-way ticket? Not sure...

2 hours ago, jarp729 said:

I actually jumped the gun and bought my tickets before I knew any details because I found a good deal XD I'm not sure about your host country, but mine is providing $1500 for a round trip. This money will be given to me in the country's currency at some later point (when I'm already there?). An important detail to keep in mind is that you must abide by the Fly America Act which states that if you are using federal funding to purchase plane tickets then, it must be with an American-owned airline. There are exceptions and its different for each country. Luckily for me, my case fell within those exceptions (thank goodness). You can always ask your country's coordinator for the final word on whether you can get away with using a non-American airline. You would end up doing this if there were no American flights to that location or if America had an agreement with the country(ies) you were landing in, etc. 

Don't you love planning for it all!? I'm about to wrap up my last semester of college and it is so hard to concentrate! XP

Has anyone heard more about Fulbright Clinton? The senior manager told me the majority of the decisions had been made but he was waiting on DC approval to tell us last week. Seem like that approval is in place since a few people have heard?? 

3 hours ago, Mossy.artist said:

I actually jumped the gun and bought my tickets before I knew any details because I found a good deal XD I'm not sure about your host country, but mine is providing $1500 for a round trip. This money will be given to me in the country's currency at some later point (when I'm already there?). An important detail to keep in mind is that you must abide by the Fly America Act which states that if you are using federal funding to purchase plane tickets then, it must be with an American-owned airline. There are exceptions and its different for each country. Luckily for me, my case fell within those exceptions (thank goodness). You can always ask your country's coordinator for the final word on whether you can get away with using a non-American airline. You would end up doing this if there were no American flights to that location or if America had an agreement with the country(ies) you were landing in, etc. 

Don't you love planning for it all!? I'm about to wrap up my last semester of college and it is so hard to concentrate! XP

Thanks for all of this information! I'll definitely be sure to keep the Fly America Act in mind when I'm going about purchasing tickets! I hope they do make an exception, as once I'm in Lima I have to fly a Peruvian owned airline to get to my destination. This is definitely fun to plan, but really stressful - I'm on a contract until June 27 and I leave for Peru on July 7 so I've got a quick turn around!

Since it looks like most of the acceptances have gone out, I wanted to ask... How does everyone plan on engaging with their host country? I'm especially curious with the UK winners plan on doing