Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

"Attendance at Pre-Departure Orientations is mandatory. Exemptions will only be considered for extenuating circumstances by the Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs (ECA) of the U.S. Department of State. Information on filing an exemption will be made available to grantees invited to the Pre-Departure Orientations in early April."

I only just received notification yesterday, but was wondering if anybody has any more information on filing an exemption. I'm overseas with the Peace Corps and the process to request vacation days is a timely one so I need to know pretty much ASAP when/how/if I can get an exemption. 

50 minutes ago, jakem1023 said:

If you want to start subscribing to superstitious belief I'd recommend it...within 24 hours of using this supposed "reverse magic" I got notified! 

Worth a try eh? Seems like an awful lot of waiting left for South America and Latino countries...good luck!

Alright then... how about a bet that Mexico comes out last? @hj2012, let's hope this works!

19 hours ago, hj2012 said:

No word today :( I'm really hoping we won't have to wait until next week...

No kidding :/ I wonder if they're off for Good Friday or Easter. This forum is pretty much just going to be you and me now :/

fingers crossed for something today, otherwise have a lovely weekend and try not to stress too much!

21 minutes ago, limones said:

No kidding :/ I wonder if they're off for Good Friday or Easter. This forum is pretty much just going to be you and me now :/

fingers crossed for something today, otherwise have a lovely weekend and try not to stress too much!

I am still checking in from time to time! I will be in Colombia and they are taking some time to send me some documents which I am patiently waiting for. :) I lived in Mexico for a bit and I absolutely loved it!

11 minutes ago, ibette said:

I am still checking in from time to time! I will be in Colombia and they are taking some time to send me some documents which I am patiently waiting for. :) I lived in Mexico for a bit and I absolutely loved it!

Have so much fun in Colombia! I have never been but I used to live down the street from a Colombian restaurant and it was life changing. Eat extra arepas for me :)

Promoted from Alternate for Korea ETA yesterday! I don't think I've ever been more excited! I'm thrilled to meet some of you guys.

Have any Korea ETAs received their Grant Authorization Document yet? I'm eager to know the details of the grant, particularly our departure date!

1 minute ago, PeterBell said:

Promoted from Alternate for Korea ETA yesterday! I don't think I've ever been more excited! I'm thrilled to meet some of you guys.

Have any Korea ETAs received their Grant Authorization Document yet? I'm eager to know the details of the grant, particularly our departure date!

Congrats!  I love hearing about promotions :D  Have a great time in South Korea next year!

On 4/13/2017 at 0:02 AM, jakem1023 said:

"Attendance at Pre-Departure Orientations is mandatory. Exemptions will only be considered for extenuating circumstances by the Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs (ECA) of the U.S. Department of State. Information on filing an exemption will be made available to grantees invited to the Pre-Departure Orientations in early April."

I only just received notification yesterday, but was wondering if anybody has any more information on filing an exemption. I'm overseas with the Peace Corps and the process to request vacation days is a timely one so I need to know pretty much ASAP when/how/if I can get an exemption. 

I would also like to know if anyone else has more info (just got promoted two days ago!), as the PDO for my country conflicts with my graduation ceremony and while that's definitely not as prohibitive as being across the globe, it's probably going to be my last graduation (at least for a while) and I want to attend.

On 4/14/2017 at 0:51 PM, limones said:

I am still checking and hoping you get it!! YOU GOT THIS!! :) 

10 hours ago, bjoshi said:

Hi! Has anybody not heard from their host countries yet? I'm with Nepal, and I got the grant a month ago. I still haven't heard anything from my host country, and I'm wondering if that's normal?

By "haven't heard anything" do you mean no grant documents or anything?  I did get an email with a request to return the grant document and other forms within two weeks and then only after I had submitted anything I began getting emails from my host country with info and suggestions about how I could be preparing.  If you haven't even received any documents I would reach out and just ask what to expect-- it would certainly be better to make sure you didn't miss some sort of welcome correspondence from your school there!

12 hours ago, bjoshi said:

Hi! Has anybody not heard from their host countries yet? I'm with Nepal, and I got the grant a month ago. I still haven't heard anything from my host country, and I'm wondering if that's normal?

From the website, it looks like Nepal has a host commission country. Indonesia contacted me three days later with all required documents for me to sign. Try emailing them

Edited by chemteachersrule

20 hours ago, bjoshi said:

Its been close to two weeks but I haven't heard back about documents for China. I even emailed asking about that and CLEA and still no response. All we can do is wait more I guess :lol::lol:

On 4/15/2017 at 1:22 AM, littlegate said:

I would also like to know if anyone else has more info (just got promoted two days ago!), as the PDO for my country conflicts with my graduation ceremony and while that's definitely not as prohibitive as being across the globe, it's probably going to be my last graduation (at least for a while) and I want to attend.

Hope we get clarification this week...I suppose they are waiting to inform the rest of the programs before releasing information on how to get an exemption? 

14 hours ago, chemteachersrule said:

From the website, it looks like Nepal has a host commission country. Indonesia contacted me three days later with all required documents for me to sign. Try emailing them

Do you suppose commission country's have a quicker document turn around time than non-commission countries? I have sent some time sensitive requests to Fulbright but I imagine they are overwhelmed on a number of different items (including notifications on the remaining countries)! 

I just really need to know ASAP what date I will be flying, whether it be the first week of September or the last! 

On 4/14/2017 at 10:51 AM, limones said:

Thanks! I was out of town this weekend, which helped take my mind off things. I actually thought about the Easter thing too. I started to get emails about TA assignments for the upcoming year...so I really hop we hear soon!

On 4/15/2017 at 1:22 AM, littlegate said:

So I contacted Fulbright and they told me: "You will  receive an email with a link to the orientation website within the upcoming weeks. You can file for an exemption request, all decisions and dates are made by the State Department." 

On 3/24/2017 at 1:15 PM, theanine said:

I GOT IT! There are literal tears in my eyes.

Hey! I got Korea ETA too! I literally just joined this forum after stalking it throughout the entire app process, haha. Do you know if there's a facebook group for us yet? I have so many questions about all our forms and I'd like to get hyped with others, so I'm wondering if I should create one. 

12 hours ago, jakem1023 said:

So I contacted Fulbright and they told me: "You will  receive an email with a link to the orientation website within the upcoming weeks. You can file for an exemption request, all decisions and dates are made by the State Department." 

Thanks Jake! I guess this whole process is just going to be a lot of waiting until we actually get to our host countries.

6 hours ago, christineangeline said:

Hey! I got Korea ETA too! I literally just joined this forum after stalking it throughout the entire app process, haha. Do you know if there's a facebook group for us yet? I have so many questions about all our forms and I'd like to get hyped with others, so I'm wondering if I should create one. 

Hey! I'm also a Korea ETA finalist! There is the Fulbright Grant Applicants group with current Fulbrighters, Fulbright finalists, applicants, etc. 

I asked on that group if there was a Korea ETA 2017-2018 group yet or if I should make one, and a girl who is a current Korea ETA said that the KAEC will make an official group for us soon - maybe waiting for medical clearances and all that! 

2 hours ago, aheather said:

HOLY HECK GUYS I JUST GOT PROMOTED FROM ALTERNATE!!!!!

I'M GOING TO MALAYSIA!!!!!

Ahhhhhhh congratulations! Can't say I'm not envious, but so happy for you! :)

Hi, everyone!

Can anyone help me to understand which is my "grantee number" - is it the number that begins with two letters and is followed by eight numbers (send in the initial selection email) or is it the eight-character-long number that was automatically populated in my Fulbright Self-Service account? 

I am asking because the medical form submission specifically requests a "grantee number" but I've been sent both a "Fulbright ID number" and a "Participant ID" and don't know which one to use ...

Thanks!

-Hodna