Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

4 minutes ago, Coco Rosenberg said:

Hi everyone! I just heard back yesterday that I have been moved from an Alternate and now have been offered an ETA position in Benin for this upcoming year! I am overwhelmed and very excited that more funding was made available! I would love to connect with anyone who has previously served in Benin, with Fulbright or any other organizations, or with those who will also be there this upcoming year! (Particularly because you all probably have a better idea of all the steps and everything at this point!) I'm very excited to meet everyone at Orientation as well! :P

Congrats Coco! 

5 hours ago, screel45 said:

Thank you!! :) Congratulations to you too!! :D Where are you going?? And now that I remember, I talked to a previous Bahrain ETA grantee and she said she didn't find out details until the orientation. I think she said placement details, but how could it be possible that they don't tell us the grant amount and exact dates until then? That's crazy...ughhhhh!!! 

Hi, screel45,

Thank you!

I'm off to Morocco and really just beside myself with joy. I'm pretty sure that the ETA stipend ranges from about $1,000-$1,500 depending on the local cost of living (I'm guessing that the cost of living is probably higher in Bahrain than in Morocco ... and, of course, it varies depending on whether you're in a rural area or a capital city) and I think you can get a rough idea of the grant dates by looking at the country profiles. I know, for example, that all Morocco ETAs will be placed at the university-level, so I've looked up the official university calendar online (the semester begins in early October and ends in late July or early August) and I also managed to figure out which Moroccan cities have universities ... maybe you could do some sleuthing, too? Are Bahrain ETAs assigned to all levels or just universities?

And in the worst case, I guess the PDO is less than six weeks away! 

Best,

Hodna

5 hours ago, blank001 said:

I have a general question about the medical form. Does anyone have an idea of what grounds you can be disqualified on?

In particular I am a little worried that I might not receive medical clearance because I mention in the form that I have suffered from/received treatment for depression and anxiety in the past. I'm assuming it's not a big deal, but I'm starting to stress about it just because of how much of a loss it would be now that I've put so much time into the application process.

I've never been seriously mentally ill or hospitalized, just a somewhat sad and nervous person who has been to a few psychotherapists in the past to try to help address it. If anyone has any suggestions about ways of effectively contextualizing this in the form, please let me know.

Is it worth worrying about this, or is it something they would consider negligible? Has anyone ever heard of someone being disqualified on similar grounds?

Thanks a lot

Hey - this was discussed about 10 pages back in this thread if you want to go and see what others have said. That said, I don't think that this is disqualifying at all, as it's not something that is unmanageable or would necessarily prevent you from completing the grant. During my ETA we had an (informal) support group to talk about depression and anxiety (which can be exacerbated by the challenges of living in a totally different culture). Because of the silences around mental health, it's often easy to imagine that we're the only ones struggling. But I think this is really quite common, and anecdotally, didn't seem to stop people from receiving medical clearance.

20 hours ago, blank001 said:

I have a general question about the medical form. Does anyone have an idea of what grounds you can be disqualified on?

In particular I am a little worried that I might not receive medical clearance because I mention in the form that I have suffered from/received treatment for depression and anxiety in the past. I'm assuming it's not a big deal, but I'm starting to stress about it just because of how much of a loss it would be now that I've put so much time into the application process.

I've never been seriously mentally ill or hospitalized, just a somewhat sad and nervous person who has been to a few psychotherapists in the past to try to help address it. If anyone has any suggestions about ways of effectively contextualizing this in the form, please let me know.

Is it worth worrying about this, or is it something they would consider negligible? Has anyone ever heard of someone being disqualified on similar grounds?

Thanks a lot

Sent you a message!

On 4/29/2017 at 9:00 AM, Horb said:

GUYS GUYS GUYS: Brazil just released news that they have additional funding for 76 more grants (ETA) and are holding a special competition for them. If you did not get them this cycle, you can apply again!!! Read more here: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/component/news/?view=news&news_type_id=4

Ugh I really want to apply for this! I'm an alternate for Czech ETA (they sent me an email about this opportunity today). Even though I don't know any Portuguese or much about Brazil the way I do Europe, I'm confident I could learn by the start of the grant! Unfortunately it looks like you need at least two years equivalent of a romance language and I only have one (Spanish). Any thoughts on if this could be circumvented? (Also would it be weird to get in touch with a professor I had five years ago for a foreign language eval?). It's always the darn recs that dissuade me from trying for cool things!

2 hours ago, Dash123 said:

Ugh I really want to apply for this! I'm an alternate for Czech ETA (they sent me an email about this opportunity today). Even though I don't know any Portuguese or much about Brazil the way I do Europe, I'm confident I could learn by the start of the grant! Unfortunately it looks like you need at least two years equivalent of a romance language and I only have one (Spanish). Any thoughts on if this could be circumvented? (Also would it be weird to get in touch with a professor I had five years ago for a foreign language eval?). It's always the darn recs that dissuade me from trying for cool things!

If it is required, I wouldn't recommend applying.

12 minutes ago, Horb said:

2 hours ago, Dash123 said:

From what I understood you just need two years of a romance language. Spanish will be fine. Portuguese is honestly like a Spanish French Italian mix in my opinion so starting from one of those is probably what they are more concerned about than anything since you will be able to pick up Portuguese a lot faster. Much of the grammar is similar, it's just vocabulary differences. I don't know too many non native Portuguese speakers nor any true programs that focus on it. I say give it a shot.

Edited by hobakie

1 hour ago, hobakie said:

From what I understood you just need two years of a romance language. Spanish will be fine. Portuguese is honestly like a Spanish French Italian mix in my opinion so starting from one of those is probably what they are more concerned about than anything since you will be able to pick up Portuguese a lot faster. Much of the grammar is similar, it's just vocabulary differences. I don't know too many non native Portuguese speakers nor any true programs that focus on it. I say give it a shot.

Yes that's what's frustrating. I'm confident in my Spanish-speaking ABILITY (I have a lot of Spanish-speaking friends so I've had that kind of immersion) and a cursory look at Portuguese makes me think it wouldn't be too much of a challenge for me to learn. But it seems like Fulbright ETA's don't value self-teaching - you need the academic credits. Which is silly to me also because there are loads of people fluent in a foreign language who have never taken classes through their university! 

(Also I've just remembered that I DID take AP Spanish in high school before I took my year of intermediate Spanish in college. I wonder if that would count. Prob not.)

41 minutes ago, Dash123 said:

Yes that's what's frustrating. I'm confident in my Spanish-speaking ABILITY (I have a lot of Spanish-speaking friends so I've had that kind of immersion) and a cursory look at Portuguese makes me think it wouldn't be too much of a challenge for me to learn. But it seems like Fulbright ETA's don't value self-teaching - you need the academic credits. Which is silly to me also because there are loads of people fluent in a foreign language who have never taken classes through their university! 

(Also I've just remembered that I DID take AP Spanish in high school before I took my year of intermediate Spanish in college. I wonder if that would count. Prob not.)

The issue is that they specifically require you to have intermediate at the time of application and be advanced by the start of the grant. They say "2 years college level or the equivalent" for a reason as well. So, if you can test at intermediate by the time the app is due, go for it! If you can't, I (personally) wouldn't waste my time.

On 4/26/2017 at 1:56 AM, HBAGN said:

Hey, Mags!

You can email Fulbrightorientation@iie.org to ask about travel to the PDO.

I think you can fly to wherever you want - when you select the flights on the HRG/Concur site, there is a place to add a note if your proposed itinerary doesn't comply with all the Fulbright rules. I think you could just mention that the cost of flying to NY is substantially lower and that you will take a train at your own expense. However, if you plan to spend time in NY before (or after) the PDO, I think you will need special permission.

Here's the information from the PDO website:

"For current grantees, if you will be abroad during PDO, your international flight itinerary will be reviewed for approval prior to booking. You must submit your proposed itinerary through the HRG/Concur travel site for approval. Please note that IIE will only cover the cost of a flight up to $1,000, and any additional cost beyond $1,000 will be the responsibility of the grantee and is not eligible for reimbursement. If your flight is over $1,000 and it is approved, you will be required to call HRG/Concur to provide a credit card for the balance of the flight cost over $1,000. International flights that are under $1,000, and approved by IIE, will not require calling HRG/Concur.

Reimbursement forms will be available at the orientation. Flights must be Fly America Act compliant to be eligible for reimbursement. Please note:

• Travelers must fly into and out of the United States on U.S.-flag carriers; a foreign carrier may be used for travel between two points abroad;
  • A code-share flight qualifies as a U.S.-flag carrier provided the ticket identifies the U.S. carrier’s code and flight number;
  • International itineraries are subject to approval by IIE."

fantastic thank you! I'll email them now :)

6 hours ago, Magsthepolyglot said:

Congrats! I just got back from Malaysia the other day and absolutely loved it. Enjoy!

Thank you! Where did you go? What were your favorite parts? All the sudden I'm so interested in learning everything I can. :)

3 hours ago, mrhappy895 said:

Thank you! Where did you go? What were your favorite parts? All the sudden I'm so interested in learning everything I can. :)

I was in Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Melaka and Kota Kinabalu on Borneo. I climbed Mt. Kinabalu which is the 6th tallest peak in SEA and the views were breathtaking! Melaka was ok but very touristy. Penang was my favorite. It was so chilled with lots of street art which I love. Kuala Lumpur was also chilled and the transportation is very good so it was easy to navigate the city by train and bus. Malaysians are also such wonderful people and so helpful! I was only there for less than 2 weeks but had a great time and really hope you enjoy your Fulbright year there. It's a wonderful country. Make the most out of it!

On 5/4/2017 at 11:13 PM, Coco Rosenberg said:

Hi everyone! I just heard back yesterday that I have been moved from an Alternate and now have been offered an ETA position in Benin for this upcoming year! I am overwhelmed and very excited that more funding was made available! I would love to connect with anyone who has previously served in Benin, with Fulbright or any other organizations, or with those who will also be there this upcoming year! (Particularly because you all probably have a better idea of all the steps and everything at this point!) I'm very excited to meet everyone at Orientation as well! :P

Congrats! I'm a current Peace Corps volunteer serving in the northern part of Benin. Would be happy to chat with you more about Benin and put you in touch with about the 80 or so volunteers out here as well! PM me!!

Hello hello! Congratulations to those lucky ones who have been accepted! And good luck to those still waiting! I just wanted to repost the link to our Facebook group! It's a great place to find support, get free essay editors, get your questions answered, or just make the wait a little easier. Come join our active and growing community of almost 500 applicants, grantees, and alumni <3

facebook.com/fulbrightgrantapplicants

Hi all,

I am super excited to have gotten a CLEA grant for China (in Harbin). Thing is: I am a bit mystified about how they ended up deciding on a $500 monthly stipend. The Fulbright website states that CLEA stipends will be the same as regular Fulbright Stipends for the country in question. Needless to say $500 is much much much less that the regular monthly stipend for China. Apparently the program covers housing in Harbin, so it makes sense that would be subtracted from the stipend, but something tells me my housing is not going to look like something that costs over $1400 per month. Honestly a tad worried about making ends meet. I know it is very possible to eat on $500 a month in China as long as you don't really ever splurge, but what if I need to do anything other than just eat noodles (like I dunno, buy a coat, Harbin is cold)? 

Does anyone feel that it is worth trying to argue for a higher stipend? In general I feel super lucky to have been awarded a grant and know that there are many who would want to take my place. That being said, at the very least it's hard not to feel like Fulbright is being a tad dishonest about the level of compensation for CLEA grants on its website (I also haaaaate that they asked me to accept before revealing what the compensation will be). It all feels a bit misleading and even perhaps unethical. 

Not sure if there is really any action to take, but I did want to express my frustration and see if anyone else had similar concerns.

7 hours ago, revtowns said:

Hi all,

I am super excited to have gotten a CLEA grant for China (in Harbin). Thing is: I am a bit mystified about how they ended up deciding on a $500 monthly stipend. The Fulbright website states that CLEA stipends will be the same as regular Fulbright Stipends for the country in question. Needless to say $500 is much much much less that the regular monthly stipend for China. Apparently the program covers housing in Harbin, so it makes sense that would be subtracted from the stipend, but something tells me my housing is not going to look like something that costs over $1400 per month. Honestly a tad worried about making ends meet. I know it is very possible to eat on $500 a month in China as long as you don't really ever splurge, but what if I need to do anything other than just eat noodles (like I dunno, buy a coat, Harbin is cold)? 

Does anyone feel that it is worth trying to argue for a higher stipend? In general I feel super lucky to have been awarded a grant and know that there are many who would want to take my place. That being said, at the very least it's hard not to feel like Fulbright is being a tad dishonest about the level of compensation for CLEA grants on its website (I also haaaaate that they asked me to accept before revealing what the compensation will be). It all feels a bit misleading and even perhaps unethical. 

Not sure if there is really any action to take, but I did want to express my frustration and see if anyone else had similar concerns.

I got the CLEA for Harbin summer as well and I do not think the stipend is too low. 500 dollars a month in North China can go a long way. Even if you were to spend 100 kuai a day on food, which is a lot, you'd still have some left over.

Fulbright spent 14,000 for the language program so I do not think being frustrated over a smaller than expected stipend is warranted. It's mentioned many times on this forum but no one should go into Fulbright for the money, there are other much more generous fellowships for that if that's what you want. Additionally part of the grant is learning to survive in the host country. 500 a month is a lot more than some people make in Harbin and they can make ends meet and still eat well and such, you are going to have to adjust to China and learn to be more economic.

I apologize if my post comes off as if I am chastising you, but you should be more realistic about the situation especially given that CLEA isn't a necessity but a privilege.

Hi all,

I have a question concerning the EAD permit for J2 (dependent) visa holders. My wife started her Fulbright programme last year and it has been renewed lately for the next year. There's some paperwork to it and I wanted to ask how difficult is it to obtain it? The whole process is pretty much well described in the Internet but I'd like to have some actual info from the EAD J2 holders as well.

I'm still waiting for my new Ds2019 form. Can I apply with the previous one (it's valid till mid June) with a note saying that the Programme has been officially prolonged? Or I need to wait for the new one, get new J2 visa in my country, fill all the papers only then and then wait for 4 months (=loose 4 months of the EAD)? I have not aplied for an EAD before. I would not use it to support anyone, I just need some cash to be able to travel to Mexico (nahuatl language academic interest) or just to have some more quality time than watching bettter call saul eating 2$ nachos :/.

I thank you all in advance!   

5 hours ago, hobakie said:

I got the CLEA for Harbin summer as well and I do not think the stipend is too low. 500 dollars a month in North China can go a long way. Even if you were to spend 100 kuai a day on food, which is a lot, you'd still have some left over.

Fulbright spent 14,000 for the language program so I do not think being frustrated over a smaller than expected stipend is warranted. It's mentioned many times on this forum but no one should go into Fulbright for the money, there are other much more generous fellowships for that if that's what you want. Additionally part of the grant is learning to survive in the host country. 500 a month is a lot more than some people make in Harbin and they can make ends meet and still eat well and such, you are going to have to adjust to China and learn to be more economic.

I apologize if my post comes off as if I am chastising you, but you should be more realistic about the situation especially given that CLEA isn't a necessity but a privilege.

That's all fine and good, but saying the monthly stipend for a CLEA will be the same as the normal monthly stipend when it's not is in fact misleading (again, unless the housing in Harbin costs $1400 for some reason). As for realism, many people living in Harbin and other parts of China also make far more than $500 per month and I am hoping to return to America from a Fulbright to slog out a meager existence in the precarious economy of academia. I was never hoping to make money off of Fulbright, I just do think the compensation for CLEA grants has been presented in a misleading way that and learning the reality has left me feeling dismayed as my debts look likely to continue to grow if any contingency (medical or otherwise) occurs while in Harbin (and of course nobody is forcing me to take the grant). I also disagree that 100 kuai per day, about $15, is that much money if you have to eat out every meal because your housing likely does not have a kitchen. China is not that cheap. I apologize for my tone, but I also do not think Fulbrighters should need to disregard the precarious nature of the material conditions of these grants purely because of their prestige, especially as we make our decisions. I also think Fulbright could be far more transparent about many things. I know that will probably never change, but can we at least acknowledge those issues as we navigate this seemingly never-ending process?

I realize this all makes me sound like a defensive ass and I suppose I am being one. Maybe coming on this forum with my concerns was not a great idea. I just wanted to raise one of many strange problems that arises when dealing with all of this bureaucracy. Good luck to all as we continue to deal with it and good luck to everyone still waiting on notifications! Look forward to meeting people in June!

5 minutes ago, revtowns said:

That's all fine and good, but saying the monthly stipend for a CLEA will be the same as the normal monthly stipend when it's not is in fact misleading (again, unless the housing in Harbin costs $1400 for some reason). As for realism, many people living in Harbin and other parts of China also make far more than $500 per month and I am hoping to return to America from a Fulbright to slog out a meager existence in the precarious economy of academia. I was never hoping to make money off of Fulbright, I just do think the compensation for CLEA grants has been presented in a misleading way that and learning the reality has left me feeling dismayed as my debts look likely to continue to grow if any contingency (medical or otherwise) occurs while in Harbin (and of course nobody is forcing me to take the grant). I also disagree that 100 kuai per day, about $15, is that much money if you have to eat out every meal because your housing likely does not have a kitchen. China is not that cheap. I apologize for my tone, but I also do not think Fulbrighters should need to disregard the precarious nature of the material conditions of these grants purely because of their prestige, especially as we make our decisions. I also think Fulbright could be far more transparent about many things. I know that will probably never change, but can we at least acknowledge those issues as we navigate this seemingly never-ending process?

I realize this all makes me sound like a defensive ass and I suppose I am being one. Maybe coming on this forum with my concerns was not a great idea. I just wanted to raise one of many strange problems that arises when dealing with all of this bureaucracy. Good luck to all as we continue to deal with it and good luck to everyone still waiting on notifications! Look forward to meeting people in June!

I'm thinking that maybe it is the cost of the program plus housing which would equal the $1400 amount, but I don't know. If you want, you could ask about it. It isn't like they'll take it away. Just ask for clarification and be able to cite where you got the information from. 

I'm not sure what they could be more transparent about. I haven't felt confused by info I've received, but perhaps your experience is different.

5 minutes ago, Horb said:

I'm thinking that maybe it is the cost of the program plus housing which would equal the $1400 amount, but I don't know. If you want, you could ask about it. It isn't like they'll take it away. Just ask for clarification and be able to cite where you got the information from. 

I'm not sure what they could be more transparent about. I haven't felt confused by info I've received, but perhaps your experience is different.

I asked and and was told what was taken out was for housing and "incidentals." No idea what the incidentals are though.

36 minutes ago, revtowns said:

No you are right you do sound like a defensive ass. I'm not seeing your point, China is cheap I've been there plenty of times as I am sure you have been, the only time I do spend a lot of money is on the rare occasion I want to eat at a western restaurant or a night out drinking. We aren't living in Hong Kong Beijing Shanghai nor any other city where the cost of living is considerably higher. Further more it's for 3.5 months. They provide housing and expenses for the language academy what more do you need aside from meals and the occasional toiletries? There have been numerous other students on a CLEA who have done fine with their stipends. If I am being honest, yes I do not think you should have come on here to voice that particular concern because it sounds ungrateful and entitled. Had it been a concern about the year long stipend I'd understand since you are responsible for all expenses but since thats not the case I can't empathize. If you are spending more than 500 a month on food then that's something you need to reevaluate personally, not the fault of the program.

7 hours ago, hobakie said:

3 minutes ago, hobakie said:

No you are right you do sound like a defensive ass. I'm not seeing your point, China is cheap I've been there plenty of times as I am sure you have been, the only time I do spend a lot of money is on the rare occasion I want to eat at a western restaurant or a night out drinking. We aren't living in Hong Kong Beijing Shanghai nor any other city where the cost of living is considerably higher. Further more it's for 3.5 months. They provide housing and expenses for the language academy what more do you need aside from meals and the occasional toiletries? There have been numerous other students on a CLEA who have done fine with their stipends. If I am being honest, yes I do not think you should have come on here to voice that particular concern because it sounds ungrateful and entitled. Had it been a concern about the year long stipend I'd understand since you are responsible for all expenses but since thats not the case I can't empathize. If you are spending more than 500 a month on food then that's something you need to reevaluate personally, not the fault of the program.

wow, i just made an account to react to this post.

What is wrong with you Hobakie???????? Why are you the apologist for Fulbright? you getting paid extra? 

$500 a month for a grown person to live on is nothing, even in "northern China."  Harbin happens to be one of the more expensive cities to live on. I just did a quick google https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=China&city1=Beijing&country2=China&city2=Harbin that says that rents are cheaper but groceries are actually more expensive in Harbin than Beijing.  I this OP is fair to bring this up-- academics need to push back against institutions like Fulbright that perpetuate the cycle of academia being exclusively for those who can afford to live on nothing (i.e. can ask their parents or SO for help if they need a coat or a emergency dental procedure etc.) Also the website explicitly promises the full stipend and then gives you 1/4 of it? that is not "sounding like a defensive ass"

I've just returned from living in China and no, it is not easy to live on 100 quai, by any means. also LMAO at " 500 a month is a lot more than some people make in Harbin and they can make ends meet and still eat well and such" cool story bro???!? Glad you are an expert on frugality and the strife of the poor northerners and their delicious daily meals..... 

8 minutes ago, laowai12 said:

wow, i just made an account to react to this post.

What is wrong with you Hobakie???????? Why are you the apologist for Fulbright? you getting paid extra? 

$500 a month for a grown person to live on is nothing, even in "northern China."  Harbin happens to be one of the more expensive cities to live on. I just did a quick google https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=China&city1=Beijing&country2=China&city2=Harbin that says that rents are cheaper but groceries are actually more expensive in Harbin than Beijing.  I this OP is fair to bring this up-- academics need to push back against institutions like Fulbright that perpetuate the cycle of academia being exclusively for those who can afford to live on nothing (i.e. can ask their parents or SO for help if they need a coat or a emergency dental procedure etc.) Also the website explicitly promises the full stipend and then gives you 1/4 of it? that is not "sounding like a defensive ass"

I've just returned from living in China and no, it is not easy to live on 100 quai, by any means. also LMAO at " 500 a month is a lot more than some people make in Harbin and they can make ends meet and still eat well and such" cool story bro???!? Glad you are an expert on frugality and the strife of the poor northerners and their delicious daily meals..... 

Housing and the program is paid for separately. The stipend is for food. What do you mean living on? 

Furthermore there is nothing wrong with me, y'all on the other hand seem to have problems managing money. Good luck with that though?

Edited by hobakie