Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

1 minute ago, hobakie said:

Housing and the program is paid for separately. The stipend is for food. What do you mean living on? 

day to day life. sure food can be cheap but that is also usually just noodles or wontons which leave you needing something more nutritious, transit, cab when the metro closes at 9 pm, your sim card, entrance fee to a museum, long underwear since you are relocating near siberia, things come up in the course of living that aren't rent or food (hopefully, unless you are a bland robot tethered to your dorm room). And god forbid you have a credit card payment, or a private student loan that doesn't care about forbearance, or need to get a teatnus shot or something and the bad fulbright insurance isn't covering it, or you crack your tooth on something in the 10 quai dumplings you resigned to eating... then what do you do?

10 minutes ago, hobakie said:

Housing and the program is paid for separately. The stipend is for food. What do you mean living on? 

Ultimately, just trying to point out that there does seem to be some amount of missing money here if we are to take the Fulbright website at its word? Maybe the Fulbright has never been a particularly generous institution and has always been a bastion of privilege--which has probably helped it to serve its nebulous ideological purposes--can I at least hope it be honest with us?

Edited by revtowns
Overstated claim

5 minutes ago, laowai12 said:

day to day life. sure food can be cheap but that is also usually just noodles or wontons which leave you needing something more nutritious, transit, cab when the metro closes at 9 pm, your sim card, entrance fee to a museum, long underwear since you are relocating near siberia, things come up in the course of living that aren't rent or food (hopefully, unless you are a bland robot tethered to your dorm room). And god forbid you have a credit card payment, or a private student loan that doesn't care about forbearance, or need to get a teatnus shot or something and the bad fulbright insurance isn't covering it, or you crack your tooth on something in the 10 quai dumplings you resigned to eating... then what do you do?

1. if you are eating bland noodles everyday in China that's YOUR problem. I have always been able to get good and cheap food, if you are eating the plain stuff you are doing it wrong. Burgers can't always be your go to, it's China fam.

2. We both know sim cards are stupid cheap so don't play as are metro cards, you could also invest in a bike.

3. It's summer not winter.

4. There's also plenty of free and fun things to do in one of the largest countries in the world that don't include partying or drinking. Once again sounds like you are doing it wrong.

5. If the stipend was 500 a month why would you not plan ahead when it comes to credit cards and loans? This isn't the full grant, you can't get full grant benefits, it's an additional language program meant to enhance the project, if you do not think it's economically sound do not go, wait until your year long grant. 

You sound very much like the type of person who I dislike when they are in China. "Break teeth on 10 quai dumplings" if you are that weary and afraid and picky of the food why go? 

51 minutes ago, revtowns said:

I asked and and was told what was taken out was for housing and "incidentals." No idea what the incidentals are though.

hi, revtowns!

I'm sorry to hear this.

I don't have any advice, but I wanted to let you know that your frustration seems totally legitimate and justified to me. Of course no one's doing the Fulbright for the money (or for the health insurance!), but I do think we deserve to know what we're getting into. It's a major accomplishment to win a Fulbright, but if you've won, it's only because you're majorly accomplished. There's a clear lack of respect in telling a grantee his or her stipend will be x amount and then expecting them to go along with the program uncomplainingly when the stipend mysteriously is cut in half. Of course, it's possible that funding was cut or the language institute's tuition was sharply increased, but you deserve to have that information clearly communicated to you.

The language institute sounds like a great opportunity, but depending on your personal situation perhaps it's no longer feasible (some Fulbrighters might be getting sweet checks from their parents to help with the expenses, others might be struggling to repay student loans or other debt ...), but I hope whatever you decide you'll have a good and fruitful experience.  

best,

Hodna

1 minute ago, HBAGN said:

hi, revtowns!

I'm sorry to hear this.

I don't have any advice, but I wanted to let you know that your frustration seems totally legitimate and justified to me. Of course no one's doing the Fulbright for the money (or for the health insurance!), but I do think we deserve to know what we're getting into. It's a major accomplishment to win a Fulbright, but if you've won, it's only because you're majorly accomplished. There's a clear lack of respect in telling a grantee his or her stipend will be x amount and then expecting them to go along with the program uncomplainingly when the stipend mysteriously is cut in half. Of course, it's possible that funding was cut or the language institute's tuition was sharply increased, but you deserve to have that information clearly communicated to you.

The language institute sounds like a great opportunity, but depending on your personal situation perhaps it's no longer feasible (some Fulbrighters might be getting sweet checks from their parents to help with the expenses, others might be struggling to repay student loans or other debt ...), but I hope whatever you decide you'll have a good and fruitful experience.  

best,

Hodna

Hi Hodna,

Thank you so much for this post. Was beginning to feel very politically alienated and pessimistic (haha I should have probably learned to disengage in comment wars at this point). I hope you have a wonderful experience as well!

9 minutes ago, hobakie said:

1. if you are eating bland noodles everyday in China that's YOUR problem. I have always been able to get good and cheap food, if you are eating the plain stuff you are doing it wrong. Burgers can't always be your go to, it's China fam.

2. We both know sim cards are stupid cheap so don't play as are metro cards, you could also invest in a bike.

3. It's summer not winter.

4. There's also plenty of free and fun things to do in one of the largest countries in the world that don't include partying or drinking. Once again sounds like you are doing it wrong.

5. If the stipend was 500 a month why would you not plan ahead when it comes to credit cards and loans? This isn't the full grant, you can't get full grant benefits, it's an additional language program meant to enhance the project, if you do not think it's economically sound do not go, wait until your year long grant. 

You sound very much like the type of person who I dislike when they are in China. "Break teeth on 10 quai dumplings" if you are that weary and afraid and picky of the food why go? 

thankfully I will be there in the Autumn. Pretty sure laowai12's general point that things happen in life and money is the only way to deal with them under a system rapacious neoliberal capitalism that has colonized China as much as it has destroyed the public institutions of the United States stands, dumpling point notwithstanding. Glorifying poverty is never a good plan unless one desires the continuance of poverty.

3 minutes ago, revtowns said:

thankfully I will be there in the Autumn. Pretty sure laowai12's general point that things happen in life and money is the only way to deal with them under a system rapacious neoliberal capitalism that has colonized China as much as it has destroyed the public institutions of the United States stands, dumpling point notwithstanding. Glorifying poverty is never a good plan unless one desires the continuance of poverty.

Since when is a paid fellowship poverty? You know what ,yes, thankfully you will be there autumn and not the summer. I do not have the energy nor tact to respectfully play along with your complaints and excuses. Good luck sir you will need it.

2 hours ago, revtowns said:

Ultimately, just trying to point out that there does seem to be some amount of missing money here if we are to take the Fulbright website at its word? Maybe the Fulbright has never been a particularly generous institution and has always been a bastion of privilege--which has probably helped it to serve its nebulous ideological purposes--can I at least hope it be honest with us?

I get that some things are not always clearly spelled out with some fellowships and programs. I had that experience with a couple of the ones I applied to this year. Still, imo you should have asked more questions. I also completely get that you expected, it seems like, to have money to cover something that isn't your living expenses in China. Debt or something I'd guess. At least, I hope so. If not then you really were expecting too much freedom in what you were spending while on a fellowship. 

All that aside..... nebulous ideological purposes? You applied for it did you not? 

Out of everything you said, this is what really stands out to me.

Were you randomly selected to receive a fellowship without applying? Did you then bullshit the decisions board and tell them you were onboard with their nebulous ideological purposes to get (what you thought was) a free ride for awhile and a prestigious bullet point on your CV? 

Sounds like you shouldn't have been awarded the thing in the first place really. 

Its like listening to the NSEP scholarship and fellowship people who don't want to do government service after the program is over. Deserve jail time for fraud if hey take tax payer money. 

Hi everyone,

I have applied for Fulbright 2017-2018 and have gave 2 exams GRE and TOEFL . After that I received an email from IIE for my placement in university. I did skype interview with 2 professors and they accepted me to work in thir laboratory. Now, I received an email that I have not been selected. Could anyone can give me any idea what happened, is this normal?

17 hours ago, hobakie said:

Since when is a paid fellowship poverty? You know what ,yes, thankfully you will be there autumn and not the summer. I do not have the energy nor tact to respectfully play along with your complaints and excuses. Good luck sir you will need it.

15 hours ago, UnawareInGeneral said:

I get that some things are not always clearly spelled out with some fellowships and programs. I had that experience with a couple of the ones I applied to this year. Still, imo you should have asked more questions. I also completely get that you expected, it seems like, to have money to cover something that isn't your living expenses in China. Debt or something I'd guess. At least, I hope so. If not then you really were expecting too much freedom in what you were spending while on a fellowship. 

All that aside..... nebulous ideological purposes? You applied for it did you not? 

Out of everything you said, this is what really stands out to me.

Were you randomly selected to receive a fellowship without applying? Did you then bullshit the decisions board and tell them you were onboard with their nebulous ideological purposes to get (what you thought was) a free ride for awhile and a prestigious bullet point on your CV? 

Sounds like you shouldn't have been awarded the thing in the first place really. 

Its like listening to the NSEP scholarship and fellowship people who don't want to do government service after the program is over. Deserve jail time for fraud if hey take tax payer money. 

I tried to resist replying to these, but this conversation ended on such cruel and insulting terms that it has left me unable to sleep.  Also, I might have to meet both of you some day so I hope to try to end things on a slightly more civil note (and I know I am responsible for some of the incivility) or at least explain myself fully. Anyways, here goes:

As for UnawareInGeneral's comments, I believe my application materials all clearly reflected my politics, which are critical of forces such as colonialism and capitalism and their role in shaping the modern world, forces that the Fulbright are inarguably implicated in at least a bit. Still, kudos to Fulbright for believing in academic freedom and the possibilities of intercultural intellectual exchanges. They do not demand ideological purity like you seem to (throwing people in jail for fraud?!). I can go further explaining my views on Fulbright if you are actually interested (not to mention things like how taxpayer money is used. I mean, shit, I never wanted my tax dollars to pay for drone strikes in Pakistan or bombing Syria or a militarized police force, but here we are), though I might prefer to do so in private messages for obvious reasons. And I definitely do not want to invest any more labor into a conversation that is only going to end in ad hominem attacks and calls for imprisonment.

Yes, there is a contradiction in accepting a Fulbright and being a bit critical of it (also, all I ever said was it had a nebulous ideology, meaning complicated). However, choosing to critically examine the world we live in often reveals that there is no alternative to taking part in what we are critical of, including when one is working on a PhD in the humanities and in constant need to secure chances for research funding (yes I have applied for other grants) in between teaching undergraduates for little compensation and attempting to make “progress.” I know this is the path I chose and I need to accept responsibility for that, but it is also a tiring path as I am sure many people are aware. That path gets more difficult when it turns out the limited amount of possible compensation is less than what one was led to believe, which was all I was posting about initially. I do not think bringing that up makes me entitled or ungrateful. Also, the difficult path does not end after the Fulbright in a lucrative job for me (and I’m sure that’s also the case for many others), it ends in desperately trying to write my dissertation and find a full-time job in the humanities that will allow me to finally pay off my debt.

I am not asking for pity, just a little bit of understanding and not being first dismissed, then condescended to, then insulted. hobakie I hope you can see why I am upset. If you want to talk more in person I am sure we can find a way to do so soon enough. Though I was mad yesterday, I ultimately would prefer there to be no hard feelings and a chance for understanding, if that is at all possible. On the small scale, I think the only way for anything to get better in the world is for people to at least try to understand each other’s positions and to work collectively to make the institutions they are a part of slightly easier for all to navigate. To those ends, I understand your position living in China is cheap and $500 is enough for food and believe you are right. Please listen to mine that it is frustrating to feel mislead about one’s compensation and to be put in a position where the options are to decline a prestigious grant or to take the risk of only having enough money to eat cheaply with next to no safety net (yes, I do have debt repayments that will not stop when I go to China. That is also of course partly my fault, but again, it makes decisions complicated).

I write this both in a heavy-handed spirit of dialogue (and if you take it for condescension, well, you’re probably not entirely wrong there) and with the pragmatic recognition that I might have to room with one of you in DC. Can we please chill out a bit and be nicer to each other, I’m tired.

20 hours ago, revtowns said:

I asked and and was told what was taken out was for housing and "incidentals." No idea what the incidentals are though.

Probably utilities, the cost of the course, cost of staff, etc.

5 minutes ago, Horb said:

Probably utilities, the cost of the course, cost of staff, etc.

the website states under different sections that tuition will be fully covered and that "Critical Language Enhancement Award recipients receive the same monthly maintenance stipends as for other Fulbright grants in the host country."

That is all the info that was provided prior to a week ago and I took it to be true. Maybe I should have asked more questions, but still, it is frustrating and misleading...

Hi guys! I've been selected for a research grant and I'll be working in Madrid! Does anyone know of a Facebook group or anything similar for Spain grantees? Or would there be any interest in starting one?

Thank you! Congrats and best of luck to everyone!!

3 hours ago, revtowns said:
22 hours ago, laowai12 said:

the website states under different sections that tuition will be fully covered and that "Critical Language Enhancement Award recipients receive the same monthly maintenance stipends as for other Fulbright grants in the host country."

That is all the info that was provided prior to a week ago and I took it to be true. Maybe I should have asked more questions, but still, it is frustrating and misleading...

So, I just looked at the CLEA information and I do agree that it sends mixed messages. It does say that grantees "receive the same monthly maintenance stipends as for other Fulbright grants in the host country." It also says that funds are not available for transit, test fees, and a few other things. I agree that we should be able to trust Fulbright and, while I don't think they are being deceitful, I do think they need to be more transparent and note that while the amount awarded is technically the same, you aren't being paid a lump sum amount equal to your regular Fulbright amount (which honestly, makes sense consideirng they are paying tuition and for rent, so it should be less than the lump sum monthly amount). They should state you're being paid X amount minus expenses for A, B, C, totaling Y. Do I think they need to list that on the website? No. But I do think it should be included in grantee paperwork or in acceptance emails.

As for what @hobakie said, I agree with some of it, but I do think the tone was way out of line. Fulbright is very clear that the stipend is modest and that, in some cases, it may not be enough to live off of. I'm thinking of those placed in München who can expect to spend almost their entire grant stipend on housing. You certainly should not be expecting to pay down credit card debt or student loans using your Fulbright stipend. We apply knowing the financial limitations of Fulbright and if someone didn't know this beforehand, then I'm led to believe they didn't do their due diligence before applying for the grant. You can find this information by contacting previous Fulbrighters and looking at Fulbright focused blogs.

Additionally, I've seen a few people mention that Fulbright benefits those with wealthy parents or SOs or that Fulbright thinks its prestige and honor is a form of payment. I disagree with these statements. Of all the fellowships out there, Fulbright is the least restrictive on what they want IMO. They don't care that much about GPA, income level, etc. They want people who crave this opportunity and they especially want people who wouldn't be able to have this opportunity without a a funded grant. Sure, some people with have other financial resources if something happens (parents, SOs, etc.) but many of us will not. I know living off of $20,000 in the second most expensive city in the US that the financial struggle is real. I have student loans to pay. I have grocery bills, rent, and utilities to pay. I've learned to be frugal and yet still live life. Perhaps this is a skill set some of us will gain on Fulbright. That said, if someone wants to donate a billion dollars so we all can get paid more, not gonna complain ;) 

Agree or disagree with me, but I do hope that future conversations can be less vicious and more helpful and productive. 

18 minutes ago, Horb said:

So, I just looked at the CLEA information and I do agree that it sends mixed messages. It does say that grantees "receive the same monthly maintenance stipends as for other Fulbright grants in the host country." It also says that funds are not available for transit, test fees, and a few other things. I agree that we should be able to trust Fulbright and, while I don't think they are being deceitful, I do think they need to be more transparent and note that while the amount awarded is technically the same, you aren't being paid a lump sum amount equal to your regular Fulbright amount (which honestly, makes sense consideirng they are paying tuition and for rent, so it should be less than the lump sum monthly amount). They should state you're being paid X amount minus expenses for A, B, C, totaling Y. Do I think they need to list that on the website? No. But I do think it should be included in grantee paperwork or in acceptance emails.

As for what @hobakie said, I agree with some of it, but I do think the tone was way out of line. Fulbright is very clear that the stipend is modest and that, in some cases, it may not be enough to live off of. I'm thinking of those placed in München who can expect to spend almost their entire grant stipend on housing. You certainly should not be expecting to pay down credit card debt or student loans using your Fulbright stipend. We apply knowing the financial limitations of Fulbright and if someone didn't know this beforehand, then I'm led to believe they didn't do their due diligence before applying for the grant. You can find this information by contacting previous Fulbrighters and looking at Fulbright focused blogs.

Additionally, I've seen a few people mention that Fulbright benefits those with wealthy parents or SOs or that Fulbright thinks its prestige and honor is a form of payment. I disagree with these statements. Of all the fellowships out there, Fulbright is the least restrictive on what they want IMO. They don't care that much about GPA, income level, etc. They want people who crave this opportunity and they especially want people who wouldn't be able to have this opportunity without a a funded grant. Sure, some people with have other financial resources if something happens (parents, SOs, etc.) but many of us will not. I know living off of $20,000 in the second most expensive city in the US that the financial struggle is real. I have student loans to pay. I have grocery bills, rent, and utilities to pay. I've learned to be frugal and yet still live life. Perhaps this is a skill set some of us will gain on Fulbright. That said, if someone wants to donate a billion dollars so we all can get paid more, not gonna complain ;) 

Agree or disagree with me, but I do hope that future conversations can be less vicious and more helpful and productive. 

My tone didn't change until the OP's did. Whether anyone was offended by it or not is no longer of concern for me. My biggest annoyance is listening or watching others be clearly ungrateful and condescending for the opportunity presented to us especially when it is optional. Had the question been framed solely in a way that reflected curiosity over the stipend amount it wouldn't have gotten to that point. Instead it was full of complaints and whining about money, which we are fortunate enough to even be getting let alone debating. 

I understand wanting to keep whatever semblance of peace on this forum however when you place blatant entitlement on a public space do not expect everyone to want to play nice. That being said I'm done with this topic and no longer want to be mentioned in it. Thank you kindly and in advance. 

40 minutes ago, hobakie said:

My tone didn't change until the OP's did. Whether anyone was offended by it or not is no longer of concern for me. My biggest annoyance is listening or watching others be clearly ungrateful and condescending for the opportunity presented to us especially when it is optional. Had the question been framed solely in a way that reflected curiosity over the stipend amount it wouldn't have gotten to that point. Instead it was full of complaints and whining about money, which we are fortunate enough to even be getting let alone debating. 

I understand wanting to keep whatever semblance of peace on this forum however when you place blatant entitlement on a public space do not expect everyone to want to play nice. That being said I'm done with this topic and no longer want to be mentioned in it. Thank you kindly and in advance. 

@hobakie We disagree on how to read tone then. They weren't ungrateful for the opportunity; rather, they were upset that they had been mislead over the amount. Fulbright is essentially a job. If someone said, "hey, we will pay you $2000 per month" and you accepted and then you found out you were being paid $500, you wouldn't say "Oh wow. I'm just so fortunate to have a job when many others don't" would you? Or would you be upset that you were misled? Because that is basically the situation here. 

39 minutes ago, Horb said:

@hobakie We disagree on how to read tone then. They weren't ungrateful for the opportunity; rather, they were upset that they had been mislead over the amount. Fulbright is essentially a job. If someone said, "hey, we will pay you $2000 per month" and you accepted and then you found out you were being paid $500, you wouldn't say "Oh wow. I'm just so fortunate to have a job when many others don't" would you? Or would you be upset that you were misled? Because that is basically the situation here. 

I definitely said I was done with this topic. That meant done with this topic as in do not mention nor @ me again.

Hi all! I recently met with my university's fulbright advisor and I have a few questions. I want to do it on civic engagement among people with disabilities. They recommended against this as it could be 'too political.' It makes sense to an extent, but our school has not received a research grant since this advisor has been here so I am not too confident in their say on the matter. Is their input reliable? Thanks! I would love to go more in depth with someone who might be able to shine some light on this!

10 hours ago, Horb said:

Thank you for the well thought-out and considerate response Horb! In general Fulbright compensations seem a tad confusing, as they seem clearly designed to pay all living expenses in some countries, but not in others. I wonder if whatever foreign policy calculus they use to determine if a region is "critical" affects this?

Also, part of what is cool about Fulbright is that it does attract so many different types of people at different stages of their lives/careers, but I am guessing that sometimes makes productive conversations about things like money a bit difficult. Haha in any event, pretty sure I will take the CLEA grant and try to tighten my belt this summer while teaching to have some savings for contingencies. Thank you again for taking the time to read and respond.

Edited by revtowns
mistake

42 minutes ago, hugheswf said:

Hi all! I recently met with my university's fulbright advisor and I have a few questions. I want to do it on civic engagement among people with disabilities. They recommended against this as it could be 'too political.' It makes sense to an extent, but our school has not received a research grant since this advisor has been here so I am not too confident in their say on the matter. Is their input reliable? Thanks! I would love to go more in depth with someone who might be able to shine some light on this!

I would hope that the US Fulbright reviewers would not care too much about the politics, even if they are critical of the US (hopefully that won't change in Trump's America), but some in-country reviewers might be sensitive about certain topics and you should be careful about that (for instance, in my statement for China, I changed the wording about the situation in Xinjiang from "colonial," to "complicated'). In general though, I would not change the focus of your project because of political concerns. Just maybe be a bit strategic about how you frame it. Haha also yeah, it does seem like your advisor might not know everything.

Hi!  Have any of the other Germany study/research grantees received their grant authorization documents yet?  My preliminary grant offer letter said that it would arrive in 4-6 weeks and it's been longer than that, so I'm just wondering! 

7 hours ago, revtowns said:

Thank you for the well thought-out and considerate response Horb! In general Fulbright compensations seem a tad confusing, as they seem clearly designed to pay all living expenses in some countries, but not in others. I wonder if whatever foreign policy calculus they use to determine if a region is "critical" affects this?

Also, part of what is cool about Fulbright is that it does attract so many different types of people at different stages of their lives/careers, but I am guessing that sometimes makes productive conversations about things like money a bit difficult. Haha in any event, pretty sure I will take the CLEA grant and try to tighten my belt this summer while teaching to have some savings for contingencies. Thank you again for taking the time to read and respond.

No worries! I just felt like you were getting attacked for a fairly straightforward and important question. And yeah, I agree. If you get a UK grant, the cost of living in London will far exceed the stipend in many cases. Perhaps it wouldn't matter as much if we could work (like, part time tutoring or something).

6 hours ago, awilliams said:

Hi!  Have any of the other Germany study/research grantees received their grant authorization documents yet?  My preliminary grant offer letter said that it would arrive in 4-6 weeks and it's been longer than that, so I'm just wondering! 

I have not received mine! I'm not sure what the hold up is :(