Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

21 minutes ago, sam89 said:

Do you guys know how interviews for Fulbright work? Do only certain countries do them? Are they just for ETA or for research as well? 

Only a handful of countries do interviews. Some of the countries list it on their country page on the Fulbright website I believe. You will get an email if they want to interview you though. They just seem to ask you about your project and why you deserve the fulbright. It seems rather simple and they generally last 15 minutes.

2 hours ago, AnnMarie said:

Only a handful of countries do interviews. Some of the countries list it on their country page on the Fulbright website I believe. You will get an email if they want to interview you though. They just seem to ask you about your project and why you deserve the fulbright. It seems rather simple and they generally last 15 minutes.

Thanks! 

Ok, kind of freaking out. I'm a semi-finalist for study in the UK and I have not gotten a phone interview even though I know the UK definitely does them. I applied to not a very popular school (only 9 applied last year) so does that mean they won't do them for that particular partner award? Thoughts?

3 hours ago, momo25 said:

Ok, kind of freaking out. I'm a semi-finalist for study in the UK and I have not gotten a phone interview even though I know the UK definitely does them. I applied to not a very popular school (only 9 applied last year) so does that mean they won't do them for that particular partner award? Thoughts?

Last year, I was nominated as semifinalist 1/15, received an invitation to interview on 2/15 ("invitation to interview ..." in email subject line), and learned of my final status (Alternate, indicated by "(A)" in the email subject line) on 3/22. So, based on last year, it looks like it takes a month between each step, though I promise this will feel much more agonizing than a month's time if you are anything like me.

EDIT: by the way, I was applying for a UK open award. The panel of 3 I interviewed with had no affiliation with my school of choice at that time, so my guess (???) is that it's not partner-award dependent. Two were directors of the "US-UK Fulbright Commission" who seemed to run all US-to-UK awards, as well as an American alumna of Columbia University who was "Programme Manager – US Postgraduate Awards". All were reasonably nice people.

EDIT2: I believe many others applying for the UK received interviews before I did. My interview was on 2/25 based on the old email.

Edited by sat0ri

8 hours ago, momo25 said:

Did you apply to Royal Holloway? 

10 hours ago, momo25 said:

Just to clarify, not all U.K. Programs do an interview and not all applicants will be interviewed for those that do interview. In fact, some people don't get an interview but do get the grant.

Edited by Horb
A word

Hi everyone! I'm also a semi finalist for Poland, and thought I'd share some insight I got from my program advisor: he said that part of the reason for interviews is to suss out language ability, and that since I'm a heritage speaker, it's likely that most, if not all, of the interview will be in Polish. But it also depends on the country-- apparently last year our research applicants to Russia and Mexico had their whole interviews in Russian or Spanish, but applicants to Columbia had most of theirs in English, for example. Anyway, it's something to potentially prepare for. (I, for one, am super nervous about this possibility because my speaking isn't very good at all, eek.)

1 hour ago, bluet said:

Hi everyone! I'm also a semi finalist for Poland, and thought I'd share some insight I got from my program advisor: he said that part of the reason for interviews is to suss out language ability, and that since I'm a heritage speaker, it's likely that most, if not all, of the interview will be in Polish. But it also depends on the country-- apparently last year our research applicants to Russia and Mexico had their whole interviews in Russian or Spanish, but applicants to Columbia had most of theirs in English, for example. Anyway, it's something to potentially prepare for. (I, for one, am super nervous about this possibility because my speaking isn't very good at all, eek.)

Yea. I spoke to a previous Poland interviewee and she told me she had no Polish experience but none of her interview was held in Polish. Imy a heritage speaker like yourself, but there are many things I don't understand. I can't talk political in Polish for instance. But I've prepared statements in Polish to say to them so they can get a feel for my language ability.

Hello, first time posting and first time applying for Fulbright. Congrats to all the recommended semi-finalists here!! I applied and am a semi-finalist for UK partnership grant as well through UCL focusing on Art History. I am actually already accepted into the UCL MA History of Art program (I had to defer last year once I found out my POI was going to be on sabbatical that year). A little worried myself since UCL hasn't awarded anything in the arts for at least 8-10 years. UCL's Fulbright page clearly states they interview, so now praying I hear back for one! If anyone has interviewed with a UK institution for a Fulbright before: do you have any tips? 

Thanks & Good luck to everyone!!

Edited by McGHEE

16 minutes ago, McGHEE said:

Hello, first time posting and first time applying for Fulbright. Congrats to all the recommended semi-finalists here!! I applied and am a semi-finalist for UK partnership grant as well through UCL focusing on Art History. I am actually already accepted into the UCL MA History of Art program (I had to defer last year once I found out my POI was going to be on sabbatical that year). A little worried myself since UCL hasn't awarded anything in the arts for at least 8-10 years. Praying I hear back for an interview! If anyone has interviewed with a UK institution for a Fulbright before: do you have any tips? 

I've interviewed at Cambridge and Oxford, accepted at both, and interviewed unsuccessfully with the US-UK Fulbright commission if you had any specific questions for me (either publicly or privately). The general tip I would have, is make sure they are impressed by how impactful your work is. My first project was on synthetic chemistry to improve cancer outcomes (no one in the panel was even remotely STEM-related), but based on their follow up questions I don't think they really understood why I thought my project was important and generally seemed bored (so I wish I explained it more fundamentally and was more engaging). Interestingly though, when they found out I started my academic career in the humanities, mentioning an award I won on postmodern American fiction, they lit up like a match. So I guess a major tip is know your audience. If you have any specific questions, let me know!

26 minutes ago, McGHEE said:

Hello, first time posting and first time applying for Fulbright. Congrats to all the recommended semi-finalists here!! I applied and am a semi-finalist for UK partnership grant as well through UCL focusing on Art History. I am actually already accepted into the UCL MA History of Art program (I had to defer last year once I found out my POI was going to be on sabbatical that year). A little worried myself since UCL hasn't awarded anything in the arts for at least 8-10 years. Praying I hear back for an interview! If anyone has interviewed with a UK institution for a Fulbright before: do you have any tips? 

I had an interview last year and after asking a former winner about their experience it seems like some of the questions are pretty standard:

Why did you choose that specific university, why do you want to go to the UK, how will studying in the UK impact you...essentially the application.  The other questions were about what you would do while you were there (you as an ambassador to the UK) and how engaged you would be with people in the UK (learning about the culture and society at large).  

I hope this helps some!

31 minutes ago, McGHEE said:

Hello, first time posting and first time applying for Fulbright. Congrats to all the recommended semi-finalists here!! I applied and am a semi-finalist for UK partnership grant as well through UCL focusing on Art History. I am actually already accepted into the UCL MA History of Art program (I had to defer last year once I found out my POI was going to be on sabbatical that year). A little worried myself since UCL hasn't awarded anything in the arts for at least 8-10 years. UCL's Fulbright page clearly states they interview, so now praying I hear back for one! If anyone has interviewed with a UK institution for a Fulbright before: do you have any tips? 

Make sure you provide info not in the app. Like, expand upon your topic, expand about why what you're doing is important, about why you chose that program. Be able to justify why a tax payer should fund your study. And have a good idea of what you'd do to integrate into your community (I did the interview two years ago).

9 minutes ago, Dilemma1 said:

I had an interview last year and after asking a former winner about their experience it seems like some of the questions are pretty standard:

Why did you choose that specific university, why do you want to go to the UK, how will studying in the UK impact you...essentially the application.  The other questions were about what you would do while you were there (you as an ambassador to the UK) and how engaged you would be with people in the UK (learning about the culture and society at large).  

I hope this helps some!

To add to this, here are some other specific questions I remember:

*Imagine you just arrived in the UK and we're in an elevator together. Tell me about your project and why you're here. 

*Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 

*You have a free weekend in the UK to do whatever you want. How would you spend it? 

*You're explaining a current issue in the US to a British person. What issue do you pick and how do you explain it? 

*(follow up) explain why you think there is such a polarization in American politics (referring to Trump and Sanders at the time).

*Have you been keeping up with any current issues in the UK? 

*Explain a time you were in a leadership role and how those you worked with would characterize your leadership style. 

*Explain your personal journey (I did not get this one but I talked to someone who did and was caught off guard by it).

Thanks for all the feedback! So far sounds pretty similar to what I was anticipating. I have been researching the boards and all the members like crazy so I understand their backgrounds. Keeping my fingers crossed! 

21 minutes ago, sat0ri said:

To add to this, here are some other specific questions I remember:

*Imagine you just arrived in the UK and we're in an elevator together. Tell me about your project and why you're here. 

*Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 

*You have a free weekend in the UK to do whatever you want. How would you spend it? 

*You're explaining a current issue in the US to a British person. What issue do you pick and how do you explain it? 

*(follow up) explain why you think there is such a polarization in American politics (referring to Trump and Sanders at the time).

*Have you been keeping up with any current issues in the UK? 

*Explain a time you were in a leadership role and how those you worked with would characterize your leadership style. 

*Explain your personal journey (I did not get this one but I talked to someone who did and was caught off guard by it).

Gah! Those were so much better than the questions I was asked.

hey all, congrats to the other semi-finalists! and a question: I applied as an artist (creative writing) for Poland. I got the semi-finalist email the same day as everyone (phew!) but I haven't received anything about an interview. Does anyone know if arts applicants get interviewed? Or anyone else in the same boat? Thanks for any advice.... 

Edited by Em411

3 hours ago, bluet said:

2 hours ago, AnnMarie said:

Yea. I spoke to a previous Poland interviewee and she told me she had no Polish experience but none of her interview was held in Polish. Imy a heritage speaker like yourself, but there are many things I don't understand. I can't talk political in Polish for instance. But I've prepared statements in Polish to say to them so they can get a feel for my language ability.

So apparently this interview is going to be a video conference! Also, I was told by the Polish Fulbright people that the interview would be held in English. Not a thing was mentioned about testing our Polish speaking capabilities. I was told that, " the Academic Committee is going to discuss with you your grant objectives, your motivation for applying for the award, how do you perceive yourself as the Fulbright Grantee/ U.S ambassador to Poland etc. ". Sounds like basic questions. I'm just worried about what the heck I'm going to say if someone asks me about Trump or the general state of politics in America right now...I don't know what to say to anyone about that. What would you guys say? @bluet, what is your project about?

20 minutes ago, Mossy.artist said:

So apparently this interview is going to be a video conference! Also, I was told by the Polish Fulbright people that the interview would be held in English. Not a thing was mentioned about testing our Polish speaking capabilities. I was told that, " the Academic Committee is going to discuss with you your grant objectives, your motivation for applying for the award, how do you perceive yourself as the Fulbright Grantee/ U.S ambassador to Poland etc. ". Sounds like basic questions. I'm just worried about what the heck I'm going to say if someone asks me about Trump or the general state of politics in America right now...I don't know what to say to anyone about that. What would you guys say? @bluet, what is your project about?

I would still practice your polish, and maybe the email depends on what you put down as a proficiency level. The "etc." could mean that they might ask something in Polish or ask you to demonstrate your abilities.

1 hour ago, Mossy.artist said:

This is very comforting as I've been a big ball of stress. Lol. As for the Trump question, if it is asked, I just plan to talk about the feeling of partisan divisiveness that has grown in our country to what we see today. I don't know that they will ask that though. Kind of like how people are taught as children that they can't always get everything they want and they have to find a middle ground, but for some reason that sentiment has been lost in our politics over the last decade or two.

1 hour ago, Horb said:

I would still practice your polish, and maybe the email depends on what you put down as a proficiency level. The "etc." could mean that they might ask something in Polish or ask you to demonstrate your abilities.

I have to agree with this. I know that I would not be able to speak the entire interview in Polish, despite speaking it every day in my own home. We don't talk politics in Polish or other business topics so I'm lacking in that area. But I think preparing a just in case paragraph describing who you are as a person and what your interests are is a good idea to demonstrate capabilities.

Edited by AnnMarie

2 hours ago, Horb said:

That is true although I'm really surprised that the Polish Fulbright person would not mention that when I asked her what to expect. I put down Intermediate for my language skill and it would make sense for them to see if my Polish actually is that good. I'm really not worried about the language part. @AnnMarie did you still want to practice? :) I'm still worried about all the political stuff though..."How do you see yourself as an ambassador to Poland?", confused, I support my countries ideals, but whats been going on lately.. >< Also I know that Poland can be pretty conservative so I really don't know what would be the right thing to say!

Hi everyone!

I am a semi finalist for Mexico. Is anyone else here wanting to research in Mexico? Also does anyone know if you have to send in all of your transcripts if you have some transfer credits in getting your BA? I am at MA level now, still wondering if I need to send everything in or just my final BA degree transcript and MA transcript. 

Good luck with the interviews everyone!

4 hours ago, 18C said:

Hi everyone!

I am a semi finalist for Mexico. Is anyone else here wanting to research in Mexico? Also does anyone know if you have to send in all of your transcripts if you have some transfer credits in getting your BA? I am at MA level now, still wondering if I need to send everything in or just my final BA degree transcript and MA transcript. 

Good luck with the interviews everyone!

Pretty certain you just need to send in the final BA one since any transfer credit that counts towards your degree should appear on the final transcript for your BA (if it's like my university). Unless they don't show up on your final BA transcripts, you don't need to send in the transfer credit transcripts separately! :^)

(re: interviews -- thanks & back at you! super nervous and excited. I didn't have the chance to check my email the past two weeks until recently, where I found out I was a semi-finalist for an ETA in Poland with an interview in two weeks! :o It's been an exhilarating couple of days!)

Edited by indexes

Hey All! 

I'm a semi finalist for Morocco ETA. Congrats on people who have already heard about interviews! And congrats for those who also got Semi-Finalist status! 

It seems like we're in for another long wait, but I was wondering if anyone knew about if Morocco has interviews normally. There isn't much on the ETA site itself, and in the google spreadsheet it doesn't seem to have anything about Morocco ETAs getting interviews. I'm curious cause I'm currently in another country as a PCV and so my Arabic and French have fallen by the wayside, if I need to do an interview using language I know that the third language is going to invade my speech and it's going to reflect pretty poorly on my actual language skills. I'm wondering if I should start brushing up... yesterday. 

Thanks for any insight or direction!

3 hours ago, BeeKayCee said:

Hey All! 

I'm a semi finalist for Morocco ETA. Congrats on people who have already heard about interviews! And congrats for those who also got Semi-Finalist status! 

It seems like we're in for another long wait, but I was wondering if anyone knew about if Morocco has interviews normally. There isn't much on the ETA site itself, and in the google spreadsheet it doesn't seem to have anything about Morocco ETAs getting interviews. I'm curious cause I'm currently in another country as a PCV and so my Arabic and French have fallen by the wayside, if I need to do an interview using language I know that the third language is going to invade my speech and it's going to reflect pretty poorly on my actual language skills. I'm wondering if I should start brushing up... yesterday. 

Thanks for any insight or direction!

Hi @BeeKayCee. First off: congratulations on making it past the first round! That's a huge accomplishment in and of itself.

As for interviews: I'm an ETA in Bahrain this year. Neither me nor any of my fellow ETAs had interviews. We have also spent time with the Moroccan and Jordanian ETAs, and I personally have not heard anything from them about having been interviewed--although I never asked any one this question directly. 

Hope this helps a bit!

Edited by busybee
Forgot to say congrats!