Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

On 2/1/2017 at 11:21 PM, bluet said:

Ooh, 4 hours of sleep sounds rough-- but it probably made your mind remember it as worse than it really was! I think it was really clear to the interviewers that I was nervous too (I rambled some and definitely didn't feel like I nailed my answers), and I bet they see that all the time. And they still have our proposals and other materials-- I don't think any interview could TOTALLY negate all that, you know? At least that's what I'm hoping. 

On 2/2/2017 at 5:02 AM, indexes said:

I talked to a current Fulbrighter (in Jordan) and they said this is totally normal, if that helps to ease your nerves. :) Also no need stressing about something that has passed, so now you can relax and breathe. Fingers crossed for you, @Mossy.artist!

Sorry I just never responded to these encouraging responses! I had my interview on a Monday and was stuck in an emotional rut over it for the rest of the week! Its just so stressful knowing that I could have messed up months and months of work and waiting in 20 minutes! I am hoping that I was just remembering it badly like you suggested @bluet. And hearing that Fulbrighters being flustered in their interviews is normal is very reassuring @indexes. I do hope that interviewers can be understanding and read more into our essays than our interview performance! 

Was super excited last week when I got notification of having made it to the second round (i.e. recommended to the host country)! 

I need to send those transcripts soon, but I'm still waiting on a professor who hasn't filed a grade to expunge an incomplete from last semester. He's had the last assignment for two weeks now, would it be appropriate to send him a gentle reminder that I need the grade soon?

20 minutes ago, maelia8 said:

Was super excited last week when I got notification of having made it to the second round (i.e. recommended to the host country)! 

I need to send those transcripts soon, but I'm still waiting on a professor who hasn't filed a grade to expunge an incomplete from last semester. He's had the last assignment for two weeks now, would it be appropriate to send him a gentle reminder that I need the grade soon?

I think if you were to word it as, when do you think you'll have submitted it so that I know when to request the transcript? That way it is less of a DO THIS NOW reminder.

1 hour ago, maelia8 said:

I would send the following just in case (maybe you can word it better than I can :P): 

"Good Afternoon ___________,

I hope you are doing well. I wanted to check-in with you on the previous assignment I submitted on (date) for a grade replacement on _______ class. I currently have an Incomplete grade for the course and I need to send my official transcripts for a program application by February 17th. Do you believe the grade replacement paperwork will be completed by then? Thank you so much!"

This is kind of a selfish question. I received a Gates Cambridge scholarship (!!!) which is a full scholarship and my feeling is that I should withdraw from the Fulbright competition this year, but part of me wants to keep trying to see if I would get the Fulbright scholarship and then decline it if I was lucky enough to get it. This is selfish but my only reason would be to put it as a honorary award (in name only; no funding) in my CV. I have a strong feeling I should withdrawal now as it seems to be the right thing to do, but maybe not, and so I thought I asked you all.

Hello all! First time poster and this was the first time I applied for a Fulbright. I was selected as a semi-finalist for research at a UK institute (Bristol, specifically). I haven't received an email about an interview and I'm wondering what this means for me, realistically. Anyone have advice on what to expect? Thanks and congratulations/good luck to everyone going through interviews/experiences similar to mine!

5 hours ago, sat0ri said:

This is kind of a selfish question. I received a Gates Cambridge scholarship (!!!) which is a full scholarship and my feeling is that I should withdraw from the Fulbright competition this year, but part of me wants to keep trying to see if I would get the Fulbright scholarship and then decline it if I was lucky enough to get it. This is selfish but my only reason would be to put it as a honorary award (in name only; no funding) in my CV. I have a strong feeling I should withdrawal now as it seems to be the right thing to do, but maybe not, and so I thought I asked you all.

Wow ! Congrats ! I would probably wait it out but not sure if that's the right choice ?

1 hour ago, mckenna81 said:

I am! I applied for one of the postdoc awards. My understanding is that there is no interview.

What program did you apply for?

I did a study program, to get a Masters in French literature in Montréal. I'm a semifinalist, but I'm wondering what the process is for Canada... The website's not very clear.

7 hours ago, sat0ri said:

YAY, CONGRATS!!

I would go forward, just to see if you get it and since you did put effort into it. If you do get it and reject it, then you're not really taking away a spot. Other hand, you could not get it and it all resolves itself! Either way, going forward won't harm or deprive anyone of an opportunity. Again, congrats!! 

14 hours ago, sat0ri said:

So, I'll play devil's advocate and say that I find it dishonest to keep going forward if, at the end of the day, you know you'd reject it 100%. If you might accept the Fulbright (which I'm not sure why you would...), then stay in. I know if you reject it, it'll just go to someone else, but I'm sure that person would rather think themselves the first choice rather than the second.

That said...I'd probably stay in the running out of curiosity too, especially if you were hoping to do Fulbright later in your career, in which case, knowing how good of an application this one was may help.

13 hours ago, jlking9 said:

Hello all! First time poster and this was the first time I applied for a Fulbright. I was selected as a semi-finalist for research at a UK institute (Bristol, specifically). I haven't received an email about an interview and I'm wondering what this means for me, realistically. Anyone have advice on what to expect? Thanks and congratulations/good luck to everyone going through interviews/experiences similar to mine!

Hey, I don't really have any advice, but I'm in the exact same boat (semi-finalist for study at East Anglia) and I haven't received anything about an interview either! Maybe a lot of the notifications are later this year? (holding onto the hope that it isn't just a flat rejection)

I know there have also been discussions upthread about how not every program does interviews, and even programs that do do interviews don't always interview the person who will ultimately be the winner. So, who knows!

2 hours ago, inkstainedarm said:

Hey, I don't really have any advice, but I'm in the exact same boat (semi-finalist for study at East Anglia) and I haven't received anything about an interview either! Maybe a lot of the notifications are later this year? (holding onto the hope that it isn't just a flat rejection)

I know there have also been discussions upthread about how not every program does interviews, and even programs that do do interviews don't always interview the person who will ultimately be the winner. So, who knows!

@inkstainedarm and @jlking9 I am in the same boat as you two! I applied for partnership with UCL and I still haven't heard either. We could all be rejected, they could be taking longer this year (not surprising with some of the issues going on in our country) or perhaps they aren't doing as many interviews as before. Who knows :(. Unfortunately, there are just too many variables which mean we have to continue the nerve-racking process of waiting it out for more results :blink: Hopefully it's good odds that so few of us UK partnerships have heard anything and it means a delay not rejection. Best of luck to you two!!

22 hours ago, sat0ri said:

Congratulations! I don't think there's anything wrong with waiting to see what you hear. I was an Alternate for a research grant to Italy last year, and I can tell you that I would have loved for one of the people who got the grant to turn it down for a better/different opportunity! Also, if you receive it and do decline it, you definitely want to put that on your CV. If you stay in academia, having an international fellowship like the Fulbright is really important for the job market (I'm on that now).

On 2/7/2017 at 11:46 AM, Horb said:

I'm also a grad applicant, but my FPA sat in on selection last year and he said that the affiliation strength was a big factor. For example, you might need, say, an affiliation with a university, but if you're also doing something his a hospital as part of your research, your app would be MUCH stronger to have an affiliation with them as well. So, tl;rd yeah, affiliation is a considerable factor.

Sounds promising. Thank you!

On 2/9/2017 at 11:06 PM, gyeum said:

I did a study program, to get a Masters in French literature in Montréal. I'm a semifinalist, but I'm wondering what the process is for Canada... The website's not very clear.

I'm applying for a program in Montréal as well, but one that doesn't require French proficiency. I know the scholar awards are different than the student awards, but my assumption is that if you're a semi-finalist and haven't been contacted about an interview, they probably just don't do them. I think most countries don't.

On 1/18/2017 at 4:36 PM, Mossy.artist said:

Grrr! Wish I knew what the interview would be about...Need to find a current or previous Fulbrighter to Poland!!

Hey, I applied to Fulbright ETA in Poland and have talked to last year's winners and they told me that there is only one interview (Skype). I just had mine 3 days ago and now anxiously waiting. I don't know how research grant for Poland works but I feel like it's pretty much the same. 

On 2/2/2017 at 2:58 PM, indexes said:

Done. Hopefully correctly! Thanks for the tip, didn't know we could edit it.

It looks like the interview dates this year are a week earlier than last year. Hopefully that translates to knowing our fates faster in March. :-P Also, are there any other Poland ETAers around? :blink:

Hey! I hope your interview went well! I can't help but to think I could have said some things better than I did now that I just had my interview... WELP good to know that someone else is on the same boat!

1 hour ago, Horb said:

I just realized that I could find out my fate in 5 weeks if Germany does its normal third Wednesday of March. It seems so close and so far away...

We're facing the same thing with Poland! I'm so nervous! It seems like February is going by so fast.

On 2/3/2017 at 9:16 PM, Dash123 said:

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone else here has a chronic disease (or even mental health issue) and is applying for a Fulbright? Aside from trying to plan how to manage it abroad if I'm selected for my ETA, I'm wondering if there will be any stage in the application where medical issues could bar a person from going? I believe I'll be able to handle my condition as long as I have my medications with me, but is this something I'll have to disclose?

Thanks,

Dash

Hey! I have a few serious chronic digestive system issues and I applied/will again (told you guys I'd still be checking to make sure everything's going okay ;) ). Basically I researched how I'd get my meds and handle it while I was there, and even some alternative treatments that we don't have here in the US. I contacted Fulbright about it to make sure it wouldn't eliminate me after I got rejected this time, because I didn't want to work on revamping my app just to get rejected again because of an illness. Basically, you just have to get a note from your doctor saying you are healthy enough to complete your proposed project (everyone has to, not only people with illnesses). I don't think you have to disclose it specifically, but I would tell the person you're working with most closely, especially if it's something that you might need help with. Good luck!

Edited by iDance