Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

33 minutes ago, gogotime said:

From what I heard from my interview, most of us should be hearing back by the end of March this year so that applicants can remain competitive and prepared for all sorts of different positions and fellowships.

Is this for all grants or just for your specific country? 

1 hour ago, yoh_rrg said:

@beamurray I certainly hope so.  I have the day off today for snow so I'm even more anxious than if I could at least go in to work!

Also have a snow day today. I've already snacked and read for a couple of hours. All I have left to do is anxiously refresh thegradcafe!

Sooo.. I've already been contacted by my host country and their research allowance is laughable. Does anyone know of any scholarships or grants that I could apply for to supplement the Fulbright funding? Research area is related to endangered plant conservation, specifically mosses. Any advice would really be appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Mossy.artist said:

Sooo.. I've already been contacted by my host country and their research allowance is laughable. Does anyone know of any scholarships or grants that I could apply for to supplement the Fulbright funding? Research area is related to endangered plant conservation, specifically mosses. Any advice would really be appreciated.

Oh no...so sorry to hear this. I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled as I continue to scour profellow.com etc. for opportunities. I think you can respond to Fulbright and request more funds. That's worth a try, right?

edit: Assuming you didn't apply at-large, would your home institution potentially help with costs? Again, I think it's worth asking. Lord knows we don't get anything we don't ask for in research universities. 

Edited by thepictureisstill

10 minutes ago, Mossy.artist said:

Fulbright usually has some extra funds!

9 minutes ago, Mossy.artist said:

How low is it? How does it compare with the cost of living in Poland?

8 hours ago, hank.img said:

@Dash123 Yeah I agree. I also came to a conclusion that even if someone denies his/her grant, I would only get it if that person had the similar profile as me.

For example, if a certain university is in need for a STEM background ETA more so than Humanities/Language background ETA, that university probably picked someone from STEM. Since I am also a STEM major, I would only get the award if the selected individual for that university denies the award for whatever reason. Although the official Fulbright website states my country's current need/preference is someone from STEM background, not all universities are looking for a STEM major so there's the reduction in my probability already. Furthermore, my major is not the only thing that defines my profile. It could easily include race, school level, side-project type, or whatever else that might meet their own "quota". So I am very curious as to how they specifically picked out the alternates. Therefore, it also made me wonder if there is basically an alternate (or two) for every university/institution that wanted an ETA and if we would only move up when our specific "finalist pair" declined. 

I honestly think it comes down more to luck at this point than anything. We could try to scrutinize but really it all has to do with which (if any) primary select denies their grant. My biggest concern is like if there was a last minute need for me, I wouldn't have time to prepare by learning Czech (language wasn't required for applying but they recommend working knowledge of the language by the time you go). If they somehow called me up in August saying "hey a spot opened up last minute," I'd be like uhhhhhhhh can you learn a whole language in a couple weeks? hah

Anyway, I really just wish they published the numbers of how many alternates there are. 

16 hours ago, Mossy.artist said:

Me:

>Opens computer 

>Sees there are 30+ new posts in the forum

>Without even stopping to read what people said, open my email

>See a P..see Congratulations...

>Bring down the foundations of my house from jumping around and screaming at the top of my lungs scaring the crap out of my husband who's in the shower

I'M GOING TO POLAND MOTHER FULBRIGHTERS!!!!!!

>Sidenote: wanted to call mom, dad, and best friends to scream at them through the phone....NO ONE PICKS UP!!! 

WWWHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now I'm going to go back and read everyone's posts. Congrats to everyone who got good news today! :D

Wahoo!!!!!  Thrilled for you! 

28 minutes ago, Mossy.artist said:

My friend did a Fulbright to Poland. When he went, the stipend was incredibly generous compared to the cost of living. He repeatedly mentioned they lived like kings in comparison to other university aged students in Krakov.

13 hours ago, medievalist86 said:

UEA is a WONDERFUL university! I studied abroad there as an undergrad a few years ago, and I loved it there! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about UEA, Norwich or anything else. I don't mind at all - my focus is on heresy and religious discrimination the Crusades, specifically regarding the Crusades from 1096-1229. How about yours? Yeah, this is my third year applying for this award, and the first year I've qualified for an interview, so I'm on pins and needles waiting for the decision. Good luck to you! :) 

Haha as someone who's never studied abroad before, I have SO MANY questions, so I'll definitely shoot you a PM! Oh that's awesome--mine is specifically centered around using the rhetoric of primary sources to determine what kind of social/cultural environments shaped able-bodied people's reactions to disability from about 1350-1480 (my past work has been on Henry VI's catatonic period). Best of luck to you as well! Hopefully we both trade this gray Washington weather for...well, gray English weather!

7 minutes ago, jmhawkin24 said:

What do the blue dates on the spreadsheet mean? Someone said it meant that the date passed but for one country 3/17/17 is in blue as well?

They said it passed or was near

5 minutes ago, Horb said:

No notifications today! I hope they are doing a big one like Spain ETA or something.

I'm officially shameless and have no qualms with calling. Just checked, they aren't working on Spain and it probably won't be today since they haven't heard decisions from the country yet.

2 minutes ago, Lab6214 said:

I'm officially shameless and have no qualms with calling. Just checked, they aren't working on Spain and it probably won't be today since they haven't heard decisions from the country yet.

...did you happen to learn who they were working on? Although the person that does Europe doesn't do Germany soooo

4 minutes ago, Lab6214 said:

What number do you call/what do you say? Asking for a friend ;)

thanks Horb!

Edited by thepictureisstill

1 minute ago, Horb said:

...did you happen to learn who they were working on? Although the person that does Europe doesn't do Germany soooo

I didn't ask, sorry. But it's not like she can not give you it because you call, it's not her decision anyway. I'd go ahead and call!

1 minute ago, thepictureisstill said:

What number do you call/what do you say? Asking for a friend ;)

Haha. Sure you are ;)

If you go onto the website http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/regions and click on the region, the American contact person will be listed on the left side of the page.

11 minutes ago, Horb said:

No notifications today! I hope they are doing a big one like Spain ETA or something.

Hey Horb! How did you find this out? they told you they were working on a big group? hehe I hope it's India!

1 minute ago, sam89 said:

Hey Horb! How did you find this out? they told you they were working on a big group? hehe I hope it's India!

Oh, no no no! I know nothing. I was just noticing how there haven't been any notifications (at least on this forum) and I was hoping that meant a big group was being notified. I don't know if that is the case. Maybe they have no countries to notify today *shrugs*