Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

3 minutes ago, minswho said:

haha I'm actually from LA but ended up in Rochester, NY and Seattle since then. I guess my life is attracted to rainy and grey places?

maybe we can all grab drinks after the decision comes out? I'll probably be drinking no matter the outcome lol.

I'd be down! will also be drinking regardless of what my final status is lol

1 hour ago, SrtaOrozco said:

I WAS SELECTED FOR A FULBRIGHT ETA POSITION FOR LA RIOJA SPAIN! I'm a senior in college and teach Spanish in an immersion program once a week to kids and I checked my email during class this evening (my kiddos probably thought I was insane) and I couldn't help but leap for joy once I read my email! I am so lucky! Being a first generation college student and the first in my family to graduate high school, I don't feel I even deserve such a prestigious award. :) Who else will be in La Rioja, Spain with me? We all have to talk!!! :)

Hey where does it tell you the regional placement in the letter? I'm not seeing that anywhere

@minswho @inkstainedarm Totally! I leave for Bend OR a week from today so I will either be celebrating or heavily self-medicating in craft beer heaven. Either way beer will bee involved lol. I can't take this stress any more...Although the Fulbright would be AMAZING and make my life a million times easier and fantastic, I'll be studying at UCL regardless. So even if I get the dreaded NS (very likely since I didn't receive an interview), at least I know I'll be in the UK later this year :)

9 minutes ago, McGhee said:

@minswho @inkstainedarm Totally! I leave for Bend OR a week from today so I will either be celebrating or heavily self-medicating in craft beer heaven. Either way beer will bee involved lol. I can't take this stress any more...Although the Fulbright would be AMAZING and make my life a million times easier and fantastic, I'll be studying at UCL regardless. So even if I get the dreaded NS (very likely since I didn't receive an interview), at least I know I'll be in the UK later this year :)

It would be very cool to get a UK group going :) maybe through Facebook or something...

3 minutes ago, Vegan Burrito said:

Hey congrats! See you there! Viva España!

I love your user name!! (congrats as well, of course!)

2 hours ago, SrtaOrozco said:

I WAS SELECTED FOR A FULBRIGHT ETA POSITION FOR LA RIOJA SPAIN! I'm a senior in college and teach Spanish in an immersion program once a week to kids and I checked my email during class this evening (my kiddos probably thought I was insane) and I couldn't help but leap for joy once I read my email! I am so lucky! Being a first generation college student and the first in my family to graduate high school, I don't feel I even deserve such a prestigious award. :) Who else will be in La Rioja, Spain with me? We all have to talk!!! :)

Hoping for Galicia! That's what I put. Did they tell you officially you'd be in La Rioja? I don't have my placement yet! 

32 minutes ago, Vegan Burrito said:

I also for the ETA in Spain! I'm over the moon.  I'm sorry for everyone who is still waiting.  These past few weeks have been a struggle!

OMG CONGRATULATI0NS!!!!! So happy for us both! 

I'm already thinking about the specifics of next year (too crazy) and wondering if anyone knows how flight arrangements work? Is it a reimbursement, or a stipend? The Spain page says that they give $1,250 for flights, but I'm wondering if I can book a redeye for say $1,000 and use the extra change for set-up costs.

12 minutes ago, Vegan Burrito said:

I'm already thinking about the specifics of next year (too crazy) and wondering if anyone knows how flight arrangements work? Is it a reimbursement, or a stipend? The Spain page says that they give $1,250 for flights, but I'm wondering if I can book a redeye for say $1,000 and use the extra change for set-up costs.

Jumping on this question. How do we know exactly how much we're given? Also, are Pre-Departure Orientation costs covered?

As expected, Trump did want to completely eliminate the Fulbright Program and the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Fulbright has been spared, but only through reductions to other important international programs. 

Fuck everything about this administration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/state-departments-28-percent-cuts-hit-foreign-aid-un-and-climate-change/2017/03/15/294d7ab8-0996-11e7-a15f-a58d4a988474_story.html?utm_term=.952bd6fb0bfa

2 hours ago, Vegan Burrito said:

From what I know it's reimbursement. 

3 hours ago, mckenna81 said:

As expected, Trump did want to completely eliminate the Fulbright Program and the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Fulbright has been spared, but only through reductions to other important international programs. 

Fuck everything about this administration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/state-departments-28-percent-cuts-hit-foreign-aid-un-and-climate-change/2017/03/15/294d7ab8-0996-11e7-a15f-a58d4a988474_story.html?utm_term=.952bd6fb0bfa

Ugh. Yet another thing to call our Senators/Reps about... it's going to be a long fight on multiple fronts with this budget.

9 hours ago, Vegan Burrito said:

Wait until you get the email from the Madrid office. At least for Research Spain offers a small amount for set up costs which I didn't know about until they reached out a few days after I got the initial email from the US office.

13 hours ago, inkstainedarm said:

@McGhee it's kind of cracking me up too! Guess we're just attracted to places that are wet, rainy, and gray, and therefore also very green! (well, assuming we're all in western WA)

Count one more to team Grey Skies United. I grew up outside Seattle and applied to go to the Netherlands. 

After a week of hourly checks on this forum for Fulbright updates, I decided I would finally create a login.  I am currently waiting on an announcement for the Korean studies graduate degree grant..crossing my fingers Korea will be announced soon!

In the meantime checking reddit, the google doc, and this forum helps keep my sanity (semi) in check.  I found this post on Twitter the other day and when ever someone asks me how I'm doing I just show them this :D

unnamed.jpg

OK everyone so if waiting for Fulbright notifications is giving you intense anxiety like me... this video is incredibly inspirational and helps to put things in perspective. 

"There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.” 

Edited by tommec

2 minutes ago, tommec said:

OK everyone so if waiting for Fulbright notifications is giving you intense anxiety like me... this video is incredibly inspirational and helps to put things in perspective. 

"There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.” 

I believe that with everything going on right now, especially after the news we received this morning, we need Fulbright now more than ever.