Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
jenrd

Fulbright 2017-2018

2,239 posts in this topic

@McGhee it's kind of cracking me up too! Guess we're just attracted to places that are wet, rainy, and gray, and therefore also very green! (well, assuming we're all in western WA)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, inkstainedarm said:

@McGhee it's kind of cracking me up too! Guess we're just attracted to places that are wet, rainy, and gray, and therefore also very green! (well, assuming we're all in western WA)

I'm actually an East Bay Cali native, but now in North Tacoma/Ruston. So yes, very rainy!  I think that weather makes me more productive lol. If it's gray and gloomy might as well spend it writing or in a museum, archive or library, right? ;) If we all get it, we'll have to form a WA to UK group!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, inkstainedarm said:

@McGhee it's kind of cracking me up too! Guess we're just attracted to places that are wet, rainy, and gray, and therefore also very green! (well, assuming we're all in western WA)

haha I'm actually from LA but ended up in Rochester, NY and Seattle since then. I guess my life is attracted to rainy and grey places?

maybe we can all grab drinks after the decision comes out? I'll probably be drinking no matter the outcome lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, minswho said:

haha I'm actually from LA but ended up in Rochester, NY and Seattle since then. I guess my life is attracted to rainy and grey places?

maybe we can all grab drinks after the decision comes out? I'll probably be drinking no matter the outcome lol.

I'd be down! will also be drinking regardless of what my final status is lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also for the ETA in Spain! I'm over the moon.  I'm sorry for everyone who is still waiting.  These past few weeks have been a struggle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SrtaOrozco said:

I WAS SELECTED FOR A FULBRIGHT ETA POSITION FOR LA RIOJA SPAIN! I'm a senior in college and teach Spanish in an immersion program once a week to kids and I checked my email during class this evening (my kiddos probably thought I was insane) and I couldn't help but leap for joy once I read my email! I am so lucky! Being a first generation college student and the first in my family to graduate high school, I don't feel I even deserve such a prestigious award. :) Who else will be in La Rioja, Spain with me? We all have to talk!!! :)

 

Hey where does it tell you the regional placement in the letter? I'm not seeing that anywhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@minswho @inkstainedarm Totally! I leave for Bend OR a week from today so I will either be celebrating or heavily self-medicating in craft beer heaven. Either way beer will bee involved lol. I can't take this stress any more...Although the Fulbright would be AMAZING and make my life a million times easier and fantastic, I'll be studying at UCL regardless. So even if I get the dreaded NS (very likely since I didn't receive an interview), at least I know I'll be in the UK later this year :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, McGhee said:

@minswho @inkstainedarm Totally! I leave for Bend OR a week from today so I will either be celebrating or heavily self-medicating in craft beer heaven. Either way beer will bee involved lol. I can't take this stress any more...Although the Fulbright would be AMAZING and make my life a million times easier and fantastic, I'll be studying at UCL regardless. So even if I get the dreaded NS (very likely since I didn't receive an interview), at least I know I'll be in the UK later this year :)

It would be very cool to get a UK group going :) maybe through Facebook or something...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lab6214 said:

SPAİN CAME OUT AND I'M GOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey congrats! See you there! Viva España!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Vegan Burrito said:

Hey congrats! See you there! Viva España!

I love your user name!! (congrats as well, of course!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sat0ri said:

I love your user name!! (congrats as well, of course!)

Another poster indicated they received their regional placement. Does your letter say that too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SrtaOrozco said:

I WAS SELECTED FOR A FULBRIGHT ETA POSITION FOR LA RIOJA SPAIN! I'm a senior in college and teach Spanish in an immersion program once a week to kids and I checked my email during class this evening (my kiddos probably thought I was insane) and I couldn't help but leap for joy once I read my email! I am so lucky! Being a first generation college student and the first in my family to graduate high school, I don't feel I even deserve such a prestigious award. :) Who else will be in La Rioja, Spain with me? We all have to talk!!! :)

 

Hoping for Galicia! That's what I put. Did they tell you officially you'd be in La Rioja? I don't have my placement yet! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Vegan Burrito said:

I also for the ETA in Spain! I'm over the moon.  I'm sorry for everyone who is still waiting.  These past few weeks have been a struggle!

OMG CONGRATULATI0NS!!!!! So happy for us both! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Lab6214 said:

OMG CONGRATULATI0NS!!!!! So happy for us both! 

This is going to be a great year.  I can't wait to be back in that beautiful country :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm already thinking about the specifics of next year (too crazy) and wondering if anyone knows how flight arrangements work? Is it a reimbursement, or a stipend? The Spain page says that they give $1,250 for flights, but I'm wondering if I can book a redeye for say $1,000 and use the extra change for set-up costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Vegan Burrito said:

I'm already thinking about the specifics of next year (too crazy) and wondering if anyone knows how flight arrangements work? Is it a reimbursement, or a stipend? The Spain page says that they give $1,250 for flights, but I'm wondering if I can book a redeye for say $1,000 and use the extra change for set-up costs.

Jumping on this question. How do we know exactly how much we're given? Also, are Pre-Departure Orientation costs covered?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As expected, Trump did want to completely eliminate the Fulbright Program and the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Fulbright has been spared, but only through reductions to other important international programs. 

Fuck everything about this administration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/state-departments-28-percent-cuts-hit-foreign-aid-un-and-climate-change/2017/03/15/294d7ab8-0996-11e7-a15f-a58d4a988474_story.html?utm_term=.952bd6fb0bfa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vegan Burrito said:

I'm already thinking about the specifics of next year (too crazy) and wondering if anyone knows how flight arrangements work? Is it a reimbursement, or a stipend? The Spain page says that they give $1,250 for flights, but I'm wondering if I can book a redeye for say $1,000 and use the extra change for set-up costs.

From what I know it's reimbursement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mckenna81 said:

As expected, Trump did want to completely eliminate the Fulbright Program and the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Fulbright has been spared, but only through reductions to other important international programs. 

Fuck everything about this administration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/state-departments-28-percent-cuts-hit-foreign-aid-un-and-climate-change/2017/03/15/294d7ab8-0996-11e7-a15f-a58d4a988474_story.html?utm_term=.952bd6fb0bfa

Ugh. Yet another thing to call our Senators/Reps about... it's going to be a long fight on multiple fronts with this budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Vegan Burrito said:

I'm already thinking about the specifics of next year (too crazy) and wondering if anyone knows how flight arrangements work? Is it a reimbursement, or a stipend? The Spain page says that they give $1,250 for flights, but I'm wondering if I can book a redeye for say $1,000 and use the extra change for set-up costs.

Wait until you get the email from the Madrid office. At least for Research Spain offers a small amount for set up costs which I didn't know about until they reached out a few days after I got the initial email from the US office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, inkstainedarm said:

@McGhee it's kind of cracking me up too! Guess we're just attracted to places that are wet, rainy, and gray, and therefore also very green! (well, assuming we're all in western WA)

Count one more to team Grey Skies United. I grew up outside Seattle and applied to go to the Netherlands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thepictureisstill said:

Best wishes for good news today!

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now