Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

On 3/24/2017 at 3:20 PM, Lab6214 said:

I go to Truman, a small state school in Missouri, and of our 9 ETA semifinalists, 8 of us are finalists and the 9th is an alternate! We are all overjoyed and can't believe our good luck! 

FOUR to Spain (including me), one to South Africa, one to Korea, one to Georgia, one to Nepal, and an alternate for Colombia. I'm a very proud Bulldog today! 

Truman represent!

On 3/24/2017 at 6:12 PM, ld4977 said:

Yay!! So happy to see this -- not fair that they made you wait so long after announcing research! Did they give you your location placement? Luckily the NL is so small that wherever you are won't be too far from civilization. Look forward to meeting you! :) 

They haven't provided the location yet, but I plan to email next week since the interviewer said the schools themselves would be the ones selecting us.  Where are you going to be stationed?

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 7:28 PM, JAvS said:

Hi everyone! So I've been lurking on this forum for a little while, thought I'd come out of the shadows.

I got the dreaded (A) for an ETA in Bulgaria, but I'm not giving up yet! I'm so sorry to everyone that didn't make it this round and CONGRATULATIONS to those accepted!! 

Thank you all for being so kind and supportive to each other. It's so refreshing to see so much positivity on the Internet, especially in a competitive setting like this. This forum got me through all this, for real.

You all are rock stars and I wish you the best of luck! 

@catsbloom @Tera @Jess2323 @lightaheadi and whoever I'm missing, you are all worthy and excellent in your own ways and I'm proud of us! 

Aww thanks so much <3 I'm honestly super lucky to still have a way to teach English in Korea, given everything goes well~ I know we all have such bright futures and I really appreciated being a part of this forum, even though it was only for a few weeks. You are all so welcoming and I truly wish everyone the best :)

10 hours ago, aheather said:

Maybe someone already asked this, but ETAs, what made you apply to your specific country? 

I assume research grants let the research lead the location in part, but if you didn't have that anchoring your application, why'd you chose to try to go live somewhere? 

I chose Malaysia after my research project for Nepal was not pulling together. My choice was very, very random, but the more I dug into what it'd be like to live there, the more I felt like it fit me. I was initially looking for ETA positions without a language requirement or that required French, and Malaysia fit the bill. Then I looked into KL's growing art scene, the structure of the program, and other things that took me from "well, it's not the grant I wanted to Nepal...." to "this is actually perfect for me and my life's ambition

What's your story? 

I wonder this a lot of ETA-- I do feel like it was random in a lot of ways but once I committed to the Netherlands I found reason after reason why it felt like the right choice.  And when it comes to the personal statement, you can't really just say "Netherlands and Bulgaria both checked all of my boxes, so I just went with my advisor's suggestion," so you have to really find what about that program in that country makes it the best fit.  The fact that I've already been teaching for four years made me more intentional in finding a place where I felt like I could grow and develop or it wouldn't be as worthwhile. For me, the presence of effective high school tracking with emphasis on vocational programs was a huge draw and something I'd like to see implemented more intentionally where I currently work, so of course now it feels like a couldn't have picked anywhere else but I definitely see what you're getting at. Interested to read other people's justifications.

On 3/24/2017 at 9:29 AM, mrhappy895 said:

Also, was wondering if anyone who has been awarded is slated to start January 2018? Obviously this is forward-thinking, but if things go well I wouldn't start until then; curious if anyone has grand plans or great ideas for how to spend a brief fall term post-grad and pre-FB

If I am awarded the grant I will plan to start January 2018. I'm also worried about how to spend the time since I am currently applying for jobs as the project/job I'm currently on will be ending soon. Do I take a job and just quit after only working for 8 months if I am awarded the grant!?! Do I pretend I don't know I'd be leaving in January? I don't want to turn down job offers just to ultimately receive a NS and even if I am fortunate enough to receive a P I still gotta find a way to pay the bills .. 

Anyone else in a similar situation or have any good advice? 

9 minutes ago, Photogeographic said:

If I am awarded the grant I will plan to start January 2018. I'm also worried about how to spend the time since I am currently applying for jobs as the project/job I'm currently on will be ending soon. Do I take a job and just quit after only working for 8 months if I am awarded the grant!?! Do I pretend I don't know I'd be leaving in January? I don't want to turn down job offers just to ultimately receive a NS and even if I am fortunate enough to receive a P I still gotta find a way to pay the bills .. 

Anyone else in a similar situation or have any good advice? 

Maybe leverage the Fulbright as a way to ensure future employment if it's a career job? If it's just for wages, take the job and then give them a 2-month notice before you leave. Life happens, make sure you take care of yourself.

14 hours ago, eliza.e.campbell said:

Okay so I know this is kind of a dumb and premature question, but for accepted people: how does it work for accepting the award? Are there any immediate next steps? I know there are the forms you have to submit, but it doesn't seem like there's a very clear timeline. Congrats to everyone who's found out and good luck to all waiting and making new plans!

I don't know if every letter is different, but I had to verbalize to my contact through email that I am accepting the award. I was also given a deadline to do that. The portal's additional information to turn the wheels faster.

2 hours ago, Herbie said:

Maybe leverage the Fulbright as a way to ensure future employment if it's a career job? If it's just for wages, take the job and then give them a 2-month notice before you leave. Life happens, make sure you take care of yourself.

I don't know if every letter is different, but I had to verbalize to my contact through email that I am accepting the award. I was also given a deadline to do that. The portal's additional information to turn the wheels faster.

I wouldn't do a 2 month notice. They could let you go on the spot.

5 hours ago, Photogeographic said:

Do I take a job and just quit after only working for 8 months if I am awarded the grant!?! Do I pretend I don't know I'd be leaving in January? 

Yes. You gotta eat. Only do this with a job you can afford to burn bridges with, of course. But you need a job and no one is going to hire you if you tell them you're leaving in January. Is it ethical to lie (or withhold the truth)? Technically no, but in my experience loyalty is one of those things that is expected of employees and never really reciprocated by employers. Do what you need to do for you.

On 3/24/2017 at 0:38 PM, Briangc said:

Yes. I just got an email from Fulbright New Zealand.

I'm an alternate : (

Any stats on the chances of me getting selected afterall? I imagine slim..

Hey! First off, CONGRATULATIONS. I know being an alternate can seem disheartening, but from a not rec first round for the same country I am still happy for you and rooting for you to get it! Would you mind if I DM'd you to talk about the process? 

On 3/24/2017 at 9:29 AM, mrhappy895 said:

Also, was wondering if anyone who has been awarded is slated to start January 2018? Obviously this is forward-thinking, but if things go well I wouldn't start until then; curious if anyone has grand plans or great ideas for how to spend a brief fall term post-grad and pre-FB

I was awarded the Nepal ETA, and I wouldn't be starting till March 2018! It's FOREVER waiting.

I applied to a few graduate schools just in case Fulbright didn't work out. Once I was awarded the Fulbright, I contacted my department advisors at the two schools where I was admitted and interested in going (Vanderbilt and Columbia), and they both were willing to work with me. I'll be doing a semester of school (Fall 2017), taking off 2018, and then coming right back to my Master's program in Spring 2019! My program advisor at Vandy told me that they were more than willing to work with Fulbright grantees on taking leaves of absence! So if grad school is something you're interested in, definitely ask your advisor to work with you! I didn't think they would let me take a year off in the middle of the program, so I was pleasantly surprised.

If that hadn't worked out, I would've just worked locally for a few months! Something to keep busy and pay bills :)

9 hours ago, mckenna81 said:

This process is breaking my brain.

I'm waiting on another fellowship from a European country that notifies in April, and I literally just thought "So is it April in Europe yet?"

I am actually getting dumber while I wait. 

:lol::lol:

14 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Im betting that we are going to get a lot of notifications today!

Michigan just sent out a "hang tight if you're still waiting and let us know if you hear anything" email to all semi-finalists and it just about gave me a heart attack to see "Fulbright U.S. Student Program - Second Round Notifications" in my inbox. lol. Serious spike in the ol' cortisol levels. 

On a more productive note, I'm forcing myself to prep (yet another) residency application that takes place in the first few months of 2018. Need to get a full time faculty application in before April 9th as well. How is everyone still waiting passing the time? 

Hello! I discovered this forum only a fortnight ago, have been lurking ever since, and wanted to pop-in to thank you all for sharing your experiences on your Fulbright journey. The kindness and consideration people have shown to each other, and to future Fulbright applicants, despite the potential for competitiveness is a great testament to the solidarity of this particular community. I am very grateful for people's generosity and openness, and for the work everyone has put into updating the Google Doc and keeping records. Thank you all.

As for myself, I am on the other side of the Fulbright equation, having applied to carry out research in the US next year. Last year's candidates found out before St Patrick's Day, so I am a little bit beside myself with nerves at this point.

Best of luck to all those who will be scattering to the four winds on Fulbright awards! And fingers crossed for those awaiting news still.

On 3/21/2017 at 7:59 PM, Saudades95 said:

Hi! Any other Brazil research grant recipients here? Would love to hear where my fellow finalists are conducting their research! Congrats to everyone who has found out so far, and sending good thoughts to everyone still waiting. :)

Did you receive an email from the commission?