Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

45 minutes ago, smithsonian25 said:

I work in the study abroad office at my university. I walked in today and my Fulbright advisor said they sent an update to all the advisors telling them it would be soon and to be patient. If only I had the patience to wait....

As in later today or just soon? Lol all of us are so eager to hear!

Medically cleared! I don't know why I was so worried about it, but this makes everything feel so much more real now! I should also hear about my school placement tomorrow. ^_^ Still sending good vibes to everyone waiting to hear back! <3

Looking to discuss some pre-departure anxieties with someone who has been in a similar situation. If anyone knows a female who has been or currently is a Fulbrighter in Latin America and is willing to exchange emails, please message me!

Does anyone have any experience or know someone who declined a fulbright offer and successfully reapplied? This is jumping the gun a bit but if I were to receive fulbright I'd be juggling a few other fellowships. While they aren't as prestigious, they'd give me the much needed language training prior to the start of my grant. I'd also get more experience living by myself outside of the country for a long period of time something that made me nervous with fulbright because it would be that anxiety piled on top of my research(I'm an undergraduate and studied abroad for a semester but that wasn't technically living by myself). I guess I'm torn on what to do and probably restless from waiting for notifications for so long?? any advice would be appreciated

Random question, but I've seen a couple people on here say that they want to keep their applications open even though they don't think they'd accept anymore, OR someone saying that it's a huge honor just to be a Semi-Finalist and that it looks good on a Resume. 

So my question is (and perhaps there are two different answers): How does someone who doesn't accept a Fulbright, (Either because of non-acceptance to final stage, OR because they decided to do something else) list this on their resume/CV/whatever else they want?

Edit: I am asking because while I have not heard back from Fulbright yet, I think I am going to accept an offer from a University, but I remember people talking about putting this on their resume and how it looks good. I'd like to capitalize on this is possible. You know, make all the waiting and work worth something. 

Edited by BeeKayCee
Explanation

3 hours ago, BeeKayCee said:

Random question, but I've seen a couple people on here say that they want to keep their applications open even though they don't think they'd accept anymore, OR someone saying that it's a huge honor just to be a Semi-Finalist and that it looks good on a Resume. 

So my question is (and perhaps there are two different answers): How does someone who doesn't accept a Fulbright, (Either because of non-acceptance to final stage, OR because they decided to do something else) list this on their resume/CV/whatever else they want?

Edit: I am asking because while I have not heard back from Fulbright yet, I think I am going to accept an offer from a University, but I remember people talking about putting this on their resume and how it looks good. I'd like to capitalize on this is possible. You know, make all the waiting and work worth something. 

If you get it, but turn it down, you usually put something like: "U.S. Student Fulbright Research (or ETA or Study) Award -- Declined"

But be prepared to answer why you declined such a prestigious award. For semi-final, I'm mixed. I put it down because I was a semi-finalist to the UK, which has a much higher rejection rate than other countries and I was told that is why I should put it down. It is definitely an honor, but something you probably rotate off your register in a few years, whereas if you win the grant, that sucker stays on it forever.

18 hours ago, smithsonian25 said:

Honestly I have no idea. My advisor just said I should hope for this week, but also said she had no idea on the specific timeline.

For a specific country/region, or just in general?

(fricken Malaysia notifying in mid-April, come onnnnn!!! Tell me where I'm living next year!!!!)

1 minute ago, aheather said:

(fricken Malaysia notifying in mid-April, come onnnnn!!! Tell me where I'm living next year!!!!)

Preach 

7 minutes ago, aheather said:

I'm really sorry everyone! I don't think my earlier post helped anyone with the waiting game. But to answer your question I think she just meant in general... She didn't give me much information because I don't think she was given much herself. Since I applied for the France ETA maybe she just meant the European region, but this is all just speculation. I will bug her with some more questions when I go into the office today!

Edited by smithsonian25

10 minutes ago, thepictureisstill said:

I must admit that the unexpected extended wait time is making my expectations plummet, which means less disappointment when notifications do come out.

Same :o

I've been putting off applying to full time jobs because I wanted to know about the Fulbright and be sure I could safely accept any offers beforehand (I don't want to burn any bridges with so little work experience), but I'm graduating in May and waiting is starting to seem like a bad move. If Germany doesn't notify today or tomorrow (or if I get bad news today or tomorrow lol) I think I'll just start applying places.

13 minutes ago, thepictureisstill said:

I must admit that the unexpected extended wait time is making my expectations plummet, which means less disappointment when notifications do come out.

Me too. I'm also half expecting to realise I somehow missed the rejection email, having nursed small embers of false hope this past while.

27 minutes ago, cruxclaire said:

I've been putting off applying to full time jobs because I wanted to know about the Fulbright and be sure I could safely accept any offers beforehand (I don't want to burn any bridges with so little work experience), but I'm graduating in May and waiting is starting to seem like a bad move. If Germany doesn't notify today or tomorrow (or if I get bad news today or tomorrow lol) I think I'll just start applying places.

I'm in the exact same conundrum. This is the only thing I applied for (unwisely) so if I don't get the ETA I'll have to start looking too.