Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

On 3/28/2017 at 9:25 AM, theanine said:

To those of you who are Finalists, how soon did the Commission get in touch with you after you were notified? Was it only after you submitted the documents, or..?

I am also super confused about this. I got my finalist notification a week ago from IIE but I haven't heard anything from the Commission yet (even though I already uploaded the two documents on the self service portal and have been approved). Can the ETAs in Colombia chime in to see if you have received word from the commission there? 

Also, the instructions on the finalist resource website said to upload the terms and conditions page to the self-service portal and to send a copy to the Fulbright Commission of your country. Does that mean to e-mail over the signed terms and conditions to the Fulbright commission contact listed in the website? (I feel really, really incompetent right now, but I have been re-reading everything three times to make sure I didn't miss anything and I am still confused??). 

On 3/28/2017 at 7:25 AM, theanine said:

To those of you who are Finalists, how soon did the Commission get in touch with you after you were notified? Was it only after you submitted the documents, or..?

I waited more than a week...so patiently, of course :)

Even now, I have received a second email but it still doesn't contain all the pertinent info, like which day our in-country orientation begins...

1 hour ago, ibette said:

I am also super confused about this. I got my finalist notification a week ago from IIE but I haven't heard anything from the Commission yet (even though I already uploaded the two documents on the self service portal and have been approved). Can the ETAs in Colombia chime in to see if you have received word from the commission there? 

Also, the instructions on the finalist resource website said to upload the terms and conditions page to the self-service portal and to send a copy to the Fulbright Commission of your country. Does that mean to e-mail over the signed terms and conditions to the Fulbright commission contact listed in the website? (I feel really, really incompetent right now, but I have been re-reading everything three times to make sure I didn't miss anything and I am still confused??). 

Yes, I waited a more than a week before hearing from the Hungarian Fulbright Commission. Even now, after a second round of emails from them, things are not clear. In the doc I received on Monday this week it says they will provide me with a grant document to sign soon... I think at that point I will include the terms and conditions, but really I have no clue! The finalist page does say to send them along as instructed so I'm betting you will hear eventually...

58 minutes ago, LibbyCreek said:

Yes, I waited a more than a week before hearing from the Hungarian Fulbright Commission. Even now, after a second round of emails from them, things are not clear. In the doc I received on Monday this week it says they will provide me with a grant document to sign soon... I think at that point I will include the terms and conditions, but really I have no clue! The finalist page does say to send them along as instructed so I'm betting you will hear eventually...

Thank you for the reassurance, Libby! I kind of became concerned when I saw there were deadlines associated with the first notification e-mails (2 weeks). It doesn't help I just came back from a conference and will be traveling for another one next week which makes me nervous I might miss important e-mails because my inbox gets flooded easily. I contacted a previous Colombia Fulbright Research recipient and he also let me know that things may be a little slow so I will continue to patiently wait :)

12 hours ago, ibette said:

12 hours ago, mdct123 said:

I'm still waiting for the letter. Got acceptance on the 17th.

11 hours ago, LibbyCreek said:

10 hours ago, ibette said:

Thank you for the reassurance, Libby! I kind of became concerned when I saw there were deadlines associated with the first notification e-mails (2 weeks). It doesn't help I just came back from a conference and will be traveling for another one next week which makes me nervous I might miss important e-mails because my inbox gets flooded easily. I contacted a previous Colombia Fulbright Research recipient and he also let me know that things may be a little slow so I will continue to patiently wait :)

There is one document, the terms and conditions, that you can download from the admitted portal. It's about 10 pages and requires you to initial each page, and sign at the bottom. This can be uploaded to the portal ASAP. Hold on to the pdf.

Peru did not contact for almost a week after I was notified. The response time for the email from the commissions is country specific - once you get this email, they should send two or three documents.

1) the terms and conditions (which you've already completed and submitted to IIE hopefully) which you can already return assuming you've saved the copy you uploaded to the people in NYC.

2) The Grant Award document. This was one page for me, and details my grant start date, length, monthly stipend amount, and requires a signature. This will be emailed back to your contact in the commission, and will need to be uploaded in the IIE portal for approval as well.

3) I received a questionnaire asking for details on my passport, photos, expected departure and arrival dates, dependent information, and details on my affiliation for the consulate to get me a research for the duration of my stay. I don't know if all countries include this, but it's a possibility.

Hope this helps clarify somewhat. Be patient!

4 minutes ago, jarp729 said:

There is one document, the terms and conditions, that you can download from the admitted portal. It's about 10 pages and requires you to initial each page, and sign at the bottom. This can be uploaded to the portal ASAP. Hold on to the pdf.

Peru did not contact for almost a week after I was notified. The response time for the email from the commissions is country specific - once you get this email, they should send two or three documents.

1) the terms and conditions (which you've already completed and submitted to IIE hopefully) which you can already return assuming you've saved the copy you uploaded to the people in NYC.

2) The Grant Award document. This was one page for me, and details my grant start date, length, monthly stipend amount, and requires a signature. This will be emailed back to your contact in the commission, and will need to be uploaded in the IIE portal for approval as well.

3) I received a questionnaire asking for details on my passport, photos, expected departure and arrival dates, dependent information, and details on my affiliation for the consulate to get me a research for the duration of my stay. I don't know if all countries include this, but it's a possibility.

Hope this helps clarify somewhat. Be patient!

Thank you so much for your input @jarp729 I uploaded the Terms and Conditions and they have been approved (phew). I also have the scanned copy which I might have sent prematurely to the Colombian Fulbright Commission (oops). But it's good to hear that people are not being immediately sent the Grant Award document. Thank you again!

On 3/29/2017 at 0:32 PM, aheather said:

THIS IS SO RELATABLE

I'm working at a summer camp, so I'm covered through the end of August. After that, which continent will I live on? We don't know!

Haha EXACTLY. I'll honestly feel soooooo much better once I have any kind of answers about what the summer and fall will bring.  You're applying to Malaysia, right? A ton of my coworkers are Malaysian, and they're some of the kindest, humblest, and hardest-working people I've ever met. That's obviously just speaking from my personal experience, but I wish you luck! I hope that you get to go and meet lots of awesome Malaysians! 

And congrats @chemteachersrule!!!!!!!! That's amazing!!

Edited by Imke

Does anyone have any updates about Fulbright-Clinton Public Policy announcements? I was notified that I was a semi-finalist and saw on the spreadsheet there have been some interviews, but nothing else thus far...Applied to Malawi, Chile and Samoa. Trying my best to be patient, but it's so difficult! If anyone is privy to info, I'd love to hear it!

7 minutes ago, grimets said:

Does anyone have any updates about Fulbright-Clinton Public Policy announcements? I was notified that I was a semi-finalist and saw on the spreadsheet there have been some interviews, but nothing else thus far...Applied to Malawi, Chile and Samoa. Trying my best to be patient, but it's so difficult! If anyone is privy to info, I'd love to hear it!

Have you had an interview yet? I heard that they would be making finalist determinations between by Mid April at the latest and but possibly beteeen late march and early April.

11 minutes ago, Miracle_2017 said:

Have you had an interview yet? I heard that they would be making finalist determinations between by Mid April at the latest and but possibly beteeen late march and early April.

Have either of you been interviewed? I saw in the spreadsheet that they've done interviews for Malawi, but that's all I've seen for sure. I emailed a couple of weeks ago to ask about the African Union interviews (I applied to the AU, Cote d'Ivoire, and Kosovo), and the response I got was unclear, that he had to talk to his State Department colleague to see what was happening with them. Was that the response you got, @grimets?

Just now, ADSA said:

Have either of you been interviewed? I saw in the spreadsheet that they've done interviews for Malawi, but that's all I've seen for sure. I emailed a couple of weeks ago to ask about the African Union interviews (I applied to the AU, Cote d'Ivoire, and Kosovo), and the response I got was unclear, that he had to talk to his State Department colleague to see what was happening with them. Was that the response you got, @grimets?

No interview. His response to me was even more vague...

"A number of the interviews have already taken place, and I'm not sure if/when any others will be scheduled at this stage.

I'll let you know when I hear any further word on this, or about your candidacy more generally, though.

Many thanks for your continued patience."

Feels like a no ha

3 minutes ago, grimets said:

No interview. His response to me was even more vague...

"A number of the interviews have already taken place, and I'm not sure if/when any others will be scheduled at this stage.

I'll let you know when I hear any further word on this, or about your candidacy more generally, though.

Many thanks for your continued patience."

Feels like a no ha

Ha, yes, I'm sure they're pretty wary at this point to give out too much information so as not to jump the gun on decisions. I'll let you know if I hear anything new! 

1 hour ago, ADSA said:

Yeah, I interviewed for Malawi.

Has anyone gotten a hold of the Germany ETA contact person? I have called but no answer. I am also worried that calling may annoy/distract the Fulbright people. 

I am exhausted from getting super anxious when 5:30 comes around then not hearing anything back.