Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

2 minutes ago, kfm said:

I hope so! But I'm afraid Ireland applicants may be waiting a bit longer.

I applied for one of the specific degree program grants and the program has been suspended from the school's side. I heard this directly from the school and haven't heard from Fulbright on whether or not they plan to find another way to run the grant. 

But since it seems the country results come out all together, part of the wait may be due to the commission having to figure out that issue.

That would certainly explain the long wait...I reaaaaalllyyyyyy hope they send something out today. I'm going to lose my marbles if I have to wait another weekend. Was it the Archival research award that was suspended? I see that award has an asterisks in place of award on the fulbright statistics page.

39 minutes ago, thepictureisstill said:

That would certainly explain the long wait...I reaaaaalllyyyyyy hope they send something out today. I'm going to lose my marbles if I have to wait another weekend. Was it the Archival research award that was suspended? I see that award has an asterisks in place of award on the fulbright statistics page.

No that ones not a degree specific award and it's the one I applied to, so I certainly hope not! But I'm already in a degree program, so that's not it. 

40 minutes ago, thepictureisstill said:

I think that one just has * because it hasn't been offered before so they don't have previous data. I don't know if the one I applied for is suspended by Fulbright, just by the school, so I'm waiting to hear from them 

7 minutes ago, kfm said:

I think that one just has * because it hasn't been offered before so they don't have previous data. I don't know if the one I applied for is suspended by Fulbright, just by the school, so I'm waiting to hear from them 

Which one was it?

7 minutes ago, Nirerin said:

No that ones not a degree specific award and it's the one I applied to, so I certainly hope not! But I'm already in a degree program, so that's not it. 

6 minutes ago, kfm said:

That makes sense. Thanks for the further info!

13 hours ago, gorilla_queen said:

East Asia-Pacific people: Who else absolutely lost it today with the notifications from Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines showing up on the spreadsheet? I was absolutely freaking out. Does this mean that we can expect more tomorrow?! This has been the most promising day of noties in a longgggg time...

I did! Suddenly it became very real. Taiwan, 你在哪里?

To any Germany ETA people who haven't yet stumbled onto our little thread on the spreadsheet, there is some kinda-news: apparently the German Commission was supposedly out of the office (potentially for the Berlin Conference? idk) but are back in today. I don't know where the person heard this, but if that's true, it's poooooossible that we might finally get notifications today!

12 hours ago, cruxclaire said:

I've started having dreams about it. I can't even escape in sleep. <_<

Me too, I had a dream last night actually, that I saw Germany ETA notified on the spreadsheet, and I checked my email and I only got one email and you know what that means! I made some ramen to feel better about it this morning

2 hours ago, Imke said:

To any Germany ETA people who haven't yet stumbled onto our little thread on the spreadsheet, there is some kinda-news: apparently the German Commission was supposedly out of the office (potentially for the Berlin Conference? idk) but are back in today. I don't know where the person heard this, but if that's true, it's poooooossible that we might finally get notifications today!

I saw this too my good German ETA fellow, Someone else left a remark mentioning that it still might be next week till we hear. I think it really depends on if the German commission sent their decisions to the US before they left, or if they are working on them now upon returning. If they are working on them now, I'm guessing we'd hear next week. But hey, watch me be totally wrong and we get a notification today. Not a single country has heard anything yet today after all

Quick question, would having a mental illness disqualify you from a fulbright? I was recently diagnosed with ocd, but it hasn't negatively affected my work. Although I don't know what to expect regarding the medical history and examination portion of the Fulbright. So I just wanted people's thoughts on this :). 

Edited by ag2017

42 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

I saw this too my good German ETA fellow, Someone else left a remark mentioning that it still might be next week till we hear. I think it really depends on if the German commission sent their decisions to the US before they left, or if they are working on them now upon returning. If they are working on them now, I'm guessing we'd hear next week. But hey, watch me be totally wrong and we get a notification today. Not a single country has heard anything yet today after all

I'm getting to a point of cynicism about it where I feel like if they can notify next week, they will notify next week, especially because they notified for research early in the morning. And it's already 3 p.m. Eastern. I would love it if they'd prove me wrong but I can't get my hopes up. 

Anyone waiting to do a Fulbright fellowship to the United States? I'm a Canadian applicant who made it past the national level, and the final results should be coming in soon...I hope...

1 minute ago, cruxclaire said:

I'm getting to a point of cynicism about it where I feel like if they can notify next week, they will notify next week, especially because they notified for research early in the morning. And it's already 3 p.m. Eastern. I would love it if they'd prove me wrong but I can't get my hopes up. 

Ha! That's a good point. I think they will notify in the morning just like they did for research. That looks like the trend for the previous year too. At this rate, it does seem more likely for them to notify next week :/ 

3 minutes ago, gorilla_queen said:

Are we getting any notifications today? Where are my East Asia Pacific people? It feels like we're the only ones left, even though I can see we aren't hahah

I've been constantly checking my e-mails all day in hopes that they would notify today. But starting to realize it might not be until next week :(  What country are you waiting on? 

Just now, pgf040 said:

I've been constantly checking my e-mails all day in hopes that they would notify today. But starting to realize it might not be until next week :(  What country are you waiting on? 

Same here, especially after yesterday's set of notifications rolling in! I'm waiting on Brunei-- what about you? Good luck! We got this.

1 minute ago, gorilla_queen said:

Same here, especially after yesterday's set of notifications rolling in! I'm waiting on Brunei-- what about you? Good luck! We got this.

Good luck to you as well!! We've waited so long and hopefully it will only be one more weekend of anxiously checking our emails.

I'm waiting on Taiwan ETA. My adviser was mentioning that the State Department was trying to get the countries to notify everyone earlier than last year, but I guess that hasn't really been the case so far. 

Just now, pgf040 said:

Good luck to you as well!! We've waited so long and hopefully it will only be one more weekend of anxiously checking our emails.

I'm waiting on Taiwan ETA. My adviser was mentioning that the State Department was trying to get the countries to notify everyone earlier than last year, but I guess that hasn't really been the case so far. 

Thank you! This wait is a test of character itself, haha. It helps to know that I'm not the only one <3

I also heard that about the state department trying to get all notifications out-- I think their goal was April 1st. Sigh. Distractions are key!! I've eaten so much ice cream this week!!

18 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Ha! That's a good point. I think they will notify in the morning just like they did for research. That looks like the trend for the previous year too. At this rate, it does seem more likely for them to notify next week :/ 

Maybe next Wednesday? Since they seem to be unwilling to notify on days other than Tuesday through Thursday? 

I'm annoyed because I've wasted my spring break in a state of distraction, worrying about this. It seemed like they were making a greater effort to notify before the end of March, which is good because people's grad school and other grant offers often have early April acceptance deadlines, but it looks like they're reverting to April this year.