Eng Master's Programs to Help PhD Admit Chances

LosOsos

Hi All,

I did my undergrad at UC Berkeley in Engineering Physics and trying to get into a PhD Materials Science and Engineering program in Nanomaterials, ideally with an emphasis on improving electrode properties for fuel cells and batteries. I have a year of undergrad research in the Nuclear Engineering dept at Cal working on mass and heat flow of an experimental reactor, but do not have any publications, presentations, etc. I graduated a few years back but have been working as a Field Engineer for a company that manufactures ozone generators.

I've kinda struck out on admissions this season and I'm pretty sure it's due to my lack of research experience and a lower than ideal GPA (3.05 GPA, GRE V166 Q167 A4.0). Right now my options are the Boise State M.S. MSE program, most likely studying radiation effects on materials, and a Master's Industrial Internship Program in Applied Physics at University of Oregon. My question is which of these programs would best lead into a PhD MSE program.

The Oregon program is a one year master's program that involves an intensive summer session where you take approx. 12-16 units, followed by another quarter of 8-12 units. Then it culminates with a 9 month internship in industry. The track I am applying for is for Optical Materials and Devices, mainly focusing on device physics and the operation of optic devices (TEM,SEM, X-Ray Diff., etc.) but does not generate a thesis.

I am leaning more towards the Oregon program but unsure if it is something that will increase my chances for admission into a PhD program. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.