San Jose State University (CA)

I'm an alumni from the undergrad program there and did also apply for grad there this fall. 

I've been hearing from my friends in the program about the dysfunction of the program currently which has caused the delay, many were told that they will release it this week. 

Quite honestly, I went there and I wouldn't greatly recommend it. Feel free to message me for more info. 

Someone just posted on the results page that they got in today. They received their acceptance in the mail via the postal service. Odd, considering it was on a Sunday. But perhaps, we will hear something tomorrow!

19 hours ago, kkasza said:

Someone just posted on the results page that they got in today. They received their acceptance in the mail via the postal service. Odd, considering it was on a Sunday. But perhaps, we will hear something tomorrow!

Thank you for the update! I'm anxiously waiting by my mailbox now.-. I keep refreshing my portal but it still says refer to department, how about yours? At this point the only thing keeping my hopes up is that my to do list says I need to send my transcript with degree posted.

1 hour ago, OneTwenty3 said:

Thank you for the update! I'm anxiously waiting by my mailbox now.-. I keep refreshing my portal but it still says refer to department, how about yours? At this point the only thing keeping my hopes up is that my to do list says I need to send my transcript with degree posted.

I am, too! My portal also says the same thing, but I don't have anything on my to-do list. But that's probably due to I graduated last year! Good luck! I hope you, and everyone else, hears something soon! It's been a long wait! I wish they were quicker.

A friend of mine got her acceptance in the mail friday (but we live near SJSU so maybe the mail traveled faster). Haven't checked the mail today but so far nothing. 

2 hours ago, SLP4lyfe said:

A friend of mine got her acceptance in the mail friday (but we live near SJSU so maybe the mail traveled faster). Haven't checked the mail today but so far nothing. 

That sounds logical! I'm living in Wisconsin, so maybe snail mail isn't as efficient. I'm surprised they chose to send physical letters as opposed to e-mails or updating our student center! I really hope I get in.

@kkaszaI was an undergrad there, wouldn't recommend it as a top choice. But I wish you all the best! 

Especially since there is such limited time, snail mail seems unpractical. 

Edited by SLP4lyfe

4 minutes ago, SLP4lyfe said:

@kkaszaI was an undergrad there, wouldn't recommend it as a top choice. But I wish you all the best! 

Especially since there is such limited time, snail mail seems unpractical. 

Why would you say that? I'm just curious.

I received my acceptance via postal mail yesterday- I live really close to San Jose though, so perhaps it got here faster as compared to those who live farther away.

11 hours ago, SLP4lyfe said:

@kkaszaI was an undergrad there, wouldn't recommend it as a top choice.

Would you be able to share a little bit of your experience in the program from an undergrad perspective? Thank you!

On 4/12/2016 at 10:32 AM, sesame_mochi said:

I received my acceptance via postal mail yesterday- I live really close to San Jose though, so perhaps it got here faster as compared to those who live farther away.

Would you be able to share a little bit of your experience in the program from an undergrad perspective? Thank you!

Does your portal say you're accepted or does it say refer to department? 

56 minutes ago, sesame_mochi said:

Under "Application Status", status is "Referred to Grad Dept". Hope that helps! Good luck :)   

That gives me hope, since I live in San Jose but haven't received anything yet. Has anybody gotten a rejection letter?

@kkasza @sesame_mochi 

Personally consider it a below average program. They focus on multiculturalism/bilingualism yet there are now additional classes or discussion in any class about this area. of all the professors only 4 aren't white, which doesn't reflect well on how important they deem diversity. All classes take place in the single classroom shared by the whole department. The department itself is dated (as in materials, assessment tools, furniture, etc.) and receives little funding from the university. Heck, we had to have bake sales and pitch in money to fund our own graduation! 

I honestly think that if its your only option then go for it and you'll get a decent experience. But the professors def. pick favorites and see even grade accordingly. And there isn't a dept. chair at the moment from what I've heard, and they special ed dept. chair is helping out by being dept. chair for both depts. 

It's just a big mess right now! I'm sorry if i crushed any hopes, I just don't want anyone to be blinded by these issues! 

@updownleftright I was told by a fired currently still in the program that they released waitlist letters last monday and that on the 18th (today) they would mail out the rejection letters. 

• 2 weeks later...