Programs in Human Complexity, Computational Social Science?

Abe

Hi there,

I'm interested in finding programs that are interdisciplinary in nature: marrying computer programming with math and the social sciences to model and analyze human behavior.

As far as I can tell this means I'm looking for graduate (MS and PhD) programs in Human Complex Systems, Quantitative Social Science, Mathematical Behavioral Sciences, Computational Social Science, Social Complexity, Social Computing, and Behavioral Modeling...

I've discovered programs at George Mason, Carnegie Mellon, UC Irvine, Harvard, and UCLA.

Are there any others out there? It's such an emerging (read: new) field that it's hard finding programs--in part because each school focuses on slightly different aspects and calls their programs slightly different names.

Thanks in advance!

Warm regards,

Abe

• 5 years later...

Bump. No replies? I am also very interested in this area, and just as confused as to which programs to apply to (and how many there actually are). I know that the University College Dublin offers a relevant PhD, as well as the Free University of Brussels, I believe.

I'm interested in computational methods as well, but there is not much (as far as I can tell) work being done at the intersection of computer science and sociology. Which is really too bad. There is a lot of scholarship done with networks, but (again, as far as I can tell) not the type of networks that are dealt with in complexity theory or computer science. The one exception I can think of is the Human Nature Lab at Yale which is affiliated with the sociology department.

IIRC Cornell and Yale both have labs focused on this (very cool) stuff. Axton at George Mason is also doing awesome computational social science research -- he's almost an evangelist for these methods.

The Ph.D. program in computational social science at George Mason is amazing. Pioneering scholars, cutting-edge work, really interesting stuff ... sadly, no funding. I think it will be a really formidable program in the near future. 

Good points about Cornell. I also didn't know about the Human Nature Lab at Yale - thanks! Portland State has a PhD in Systems Science, although I have no idea about its reputation. There are a few more options in Europe besides the two I mentioned. ETH Zurich has offered PhDs in Computational Social Science in the past, and is still open to research proposals I think. Warwick used to have a Complex Systems PhD, but now it just has a Mathematics program (MSc + PhD) which focuses on systems science (MathSys).

Does anyone know just how much collaboration there usually is between the Soc department and the Complex Adaptive Systems institute at Michigan? It looks like the Poli Sci department is more integrated with the institute.

Good points about Cornell. I also didn't know about the Human Nature Lab at Yale - thanks! Portland State has a PhD in Systems Science, although I have no idea about its reputation. There are a few more options in Europe besides the two I mentioned. ETH Zurich has offered PhDs in Computational Social Science in the past, and is still open to research proposals I think. Warwick used to have a Complex Systems PhD, but now it just has a Mathematics program (MSc + PhD) which focuses on systems science (MathSys).

Does anyone know just how much collaboration there usually is between the Soc department and the Complex Adaptive Systems institute at Michigan? It looks like the Poli Sci department is more integrated with the institute.

That's the impression I get as well. I'd need to double check some bibliographies before I made any definitive remarks though. But I think the only "traditional" social scientist in the "BACH" group is Axelrod, who works in the political science department.  http://www.lsa.umich.edu/cscs/aboutus/bachgroup

The Ph.D. program in computational social science at George Mason is amazing. Pioneering scholars, cutting-edge work, really interesting stuff ... sadly, no funding. I think it will be a really formidable program in the near future. 

No funding?!? That is crazy, and I did not know that.

I once looked at outcomes for Mason CSS PhDs, and many of them end up in Silicon Valley or similar highly paid companies -- now I'm wondering if it's just so they can pay off their $100K+ in student loans. I mean, that could climb to $200K. Not worth it in my book.

Yeah Mason is out of the question without funding. I also went through the Michigan Complex Systems "featured students" section and didn't see any Soc people. I find it a little strange, honestly. Anyone have any idea about the Carnegie Mellon program?

"Does anyone know just how much collaboration there usually is between the Soc department and the Complex Adaptive Systems institute at Michigan? It looks like the Poli Sci department is more integrated with the institute."

Elizabeth Bruch is joint between Michigan Sociology & the Complex Systems Center.  Sociology students in this area also work with Scott Page, who is a political scientist.  http://www.lsa.umich.edu/cscs/people/corefaculty

• 11 months later...

There are also individual faculty members doing interesting work at various schools. For example, this past summer I attended a very informative session on "Big Data and Social Movements" at the ASA annual meeting in Chicago. Prof. Christopher Bail from Duke was one of the presenters; he teaches a Computational Sociology course at Duke and makes all of the course materials available online http://www.chrisbail.net/p/teaching.html You might find his work of interest.

I know one grad student who is doing a Medical Anthro PhD jointly at UC Berkeley and UCSF. He does computational modeling to study brain evolution, human development, and language emergence and diversification. I'd look into the UCB+UCSF Medical Anthropology program and also check out D-Lab where a lot of computational folks come together to form interdisciplinary working groups on specific topics.

• 1 month later...
On 21/2/2015 at 10:19 AM, ShehzadMA said:

Yeah Mason is out of the question without funding. I also went through the Michigan Complex Systems "featured students" section and didn't see any Soc people. I find it a little strange, honestly. Anyone have any idea about the Carnegie Mellon program?

Well, as I understand it, the way to go with Carnegie Mellon is to join the Center for Computational Analysis of Social and Organizational Systems (CASOS), In order to work with the center, you need to be a student in one of the following PhD programs at the university; http://casos.cs.cmu.edu/phd/

They also have a Summer Institute and a Certificate in Social Network Analysis.