What do you hope to gain?

ljo377

Now that I've decided where to go, I've been thinking a lot about what I hope to gain during the VERY short two years I'll be pursuing an MSW! I've worked for 5 years since undergrad and spent the past 2.5 years or so deliberating on how and where to take this step to continue my education, so I feel like I have some direction, but I'd be curious to hear what others plan to challenge themselves to learn or experience. And do you have any plans or advice for maximizing your time (and getting your money's worth) in grad school?

Here are some things I hope to gain through my macro-oriented degree program and time in grad school:

• Practical skills in nonprofit administration (especially budgeting/finance, organizational change, executive leadership, etc.)
  • After talking to a current student in my program, I was inspired to hopefully take some courses in program/policy evaluation.
  • Hopefully become involved in intersectional justice work in my new community. Or maybe take a break from that because I'm super burned out. We'll see ;) 
  • Take advantage of broader university resources like lectures, cultural experiences and performances, classes that aren't in my department...
  • Time and space to read, write, discuss and reflect (I miss this SO MUCH -- it becomes such a low priority when you're always hustling between work, volunteering, etc.)
  • Have an open mind as I hone in a little more on potential career paths for after the program

That's a great question, ljo377!

I definitely am on the same page re: an open mind for potential career paths. I am very interested in early years child psychotherapy, but I am also naturally drawn to healthcare and grief counselling (children's hospice comes to mind). 

I am looking forward to going back to school and being an a learning environment! I am very much excited to become involved in community programmes and take courses in social justice. 

Finally, I am happy to be obtaining a professional registration (license) which offers me the flexibility of working in so many different types of jobs all across the world.

I look forward to seeing what other people share.

xx

My mother is a hospice nurse - it is such a special profession! She says people who choose that route have a true calling.

I talked to another person at a meeting today who said that even though she is on the administrative/management side of things at her nonprofit, she wishes she had taken some courses in counseling since she often works very closely with youth leaders. Made me think that it might be helpful to learn more about facilitation skills, creating healthy dialogue, etc. 

So many things to learn, so little time!