If you get in next year, how old will you be when you start your PhD?

a fragrant plant

I am surprised to learn that many of my fellow applicants are applying straight out of undergrads. That means some people are starting their PhDs at the age of 21/22. That seems so young to me!

Well, if I get in next year I'll be starting my PhD at the age of 26. To me it's the perfect timing. How about you guys?

I actually wanted to do a PhD straight after undergrad, but didn't make the deadlines during that year. The following year I was going to do that and applied, but then decided that I probably should do the MS route instead. My applications didn't do as expected and so I am reapplying again. I will be 24 when I start my MS and may pursue or change to a PhD if I get heavily involved in research (and absolutely love it).

I'm applying straight out from a 3 year BA, so I'll be 20 if I start in the fall (my birthday's in November, so I've always been a bit younger than everyone else in my year anyway). I'm trying to downplay my age as much as possible in my applications, though, because I think it will only hurt my chances to draw attention to it. I'm afraid being younger just makes one seem less mature and focused than the older applicants.

I'm applying straight out from a 3 year BA, so I'll be 20 if I start in the fall (my birthday's in November, so I've always been a bit younger than everyone else in my year anyway). I'm trying to downplay my age as much as possible in my applications, though, because I think it will only hurt my chances to draw attention to it. I'm afraid being younger just makes one seem less mature and focused than the older applicants.

If I get in next fall I'll be starting at 21. It made me cringe to fill out the parent/gaurdian information for Indiana (I noticed that's on your list) because I was under 21 when I applied (dec 1 international deadline, dec 8th birthday).

If I get in next fall I'll be starting at 21. It made me cringe to fill out the parent/gaurdian information for Indiana (I noticed that's on your list) because I was under 21 when I applied (dec 1 international deadline, dec 8th birthday).

Isn't it scary? I can't figure out why they want to know, but I doubt it's good. Maybe it's something innocuous having to do with financial aid.

I was 21 when I started my MA and 23 when I started my PhD. I just finish everything on time (4 years for BA, 2 years for MA). Last year I think I was the youngest person in my dept (younger than the MA students too) but this year we have a bunch of MA students who are straight from undergrad so I'm no longer the youngest.

I am going straight from undergrad but (if I get in) I will be 39 (!!!!)

Took me awhile to get around to starting undergrad.

Congrats!! At least you finished your undergrad. I had a friend in my undergrad program who was in his 40s.

Edited by joro

I'll be 24. I was considering applying for 2009, but the deadlines were right at the start of my Master's. No way was I ready! I can't imagine applying straight out of undergrad. I'm glad I have the gap year now- it will be nice to spend a year out of academia for the first time since high school...

Edited by Venetia

I started at 21 and roughly half my class is straight from undergrad and the other half went to work for a while first.

regarding the parental information thing for those under 21 I believe it's because in some states your parents are partially legally liable for you until you turn 21.

Went straight from undergrad to law school with reservations about my choice of a JD over a Ph.D. It didn't take me long to realize my mistake. I've been working since I left law school after the first semester, first as a temp. worker assisting a consulting group at a chemical plant (actually, a very good job working with very cool people). When the 3-month contract ended, I hit the job market again to start saving money before grad school next fall, and I found a job at a university library, which is where I've been ever since.

So I will be 24 when school begins once again for me next fall. And I am so happy that I will have had a year-and-a-half away from school when I start grad courses. Taking this time off has been one of the best decisions I've ever made, as I've finally learned what it's like to have to work a full-time, 40 hour a week job, and I've also had the time to devote months and months to my applications and preparations for grad school, which I would not have had the luxury of having if I had gone for Ph.D right out of undergrad. I know that I wasn't mature enough to tackle Ph.D applications my senior year. Time off can do wonders for your perspective.

i'll be 23. took a year off after undergrad. i'm nervous about being so young, but i've talked to a lot of people who regret not doing this earlier when they had the freedom to move anywhere without regard to spouses or kids. it's really impossible to tell when the right time is. upsides and downsides to everything i suppose. i feel like now is the right time for me, but who the heck knows?

If I am accepted to PhD programs this year, I will be 22 when I start, as I'm currently finishing a 4-year undergraduate degree. I thought about taking time to do other things, like maybe getting an MA and teaching at a private secondary school for a while to earn some money before doing anything else, and to prevent myself from going insane from constant research and educational stress. But I decided not to do that because I know that eventually I will want to get a PhD, and I'd rather get that qualification under my belt sooner rather than later. It would be great if I could be on my desired formal career path before the time I'm 30. Although I know that working as a professor is extremely stressful and that my life won't become magical and breezy after getting a PhD, I think it would be beneficial to have the insanity and insecurity (intellectual and financial) of being a student out of the way by the time I have kids.

Gee thanks, guys. No, really. I needed something else to have an inferiority complex about. Stellar!

I'll be 33 when I go somewhere and 38 -- if i'm lucky and focused and obsessive and lucky and, well, lucky -- when I get out.

I asked my mother last night if they shot people when they turn 40. She assured me that they do not. They do it at 39 she says.

So, this process better be fun.

I'll be 33 when I go somewhere and 38 -- if i'm lucky and focused and obsessive and lucky and, well, lucky -- when I get out.

I wouldn't worry about it. My mom started her PhD at 33, after having had 3 kids, and finished at 41... You'll be fine.

Gee thanks, guys. No, really. I needed something else to have an inferiority complex about. Stellar!

I asked my mother last night if they shot people when they turn 40. She assured me that they do not. They do it at 39 she says.

So, this process better be fun.

I like your spirit on this.

I will be 36 when I *start* and hopefully just 38 when I am done. But I am only going for the masters and then back into the workforce for the next 15 yrs. I want my PHD somewhere in my 40s or 50s so I can become an adjunct instructor or professor and then eventually in my 50s or 60s an assistant prof if I am lucky. I don't want to be a full time professor though. Well that's the plan anyway.

Oh and a cautionary note for all you whipper-snappers out there from this geezer. Ok not a geezer but beginning to push middle age. I applied to Grad School a year (23y/o) out of my undergrad where I was a mediocre (but improved) student. I applied because I couldnt find a job related to my undergrad or interests. I got into one school but got zilch in financial aid. Had trouble plugging into the career center because I had to maintain a full time job to pay for school and subsistance, which killed opportunities to get into my profession. I also lacked direction in what I wanted to do and let my attention wander. A year into school I got engaged, then married. Left school to move cross country and became a father not too long after that. It has taken 11 years since I left Grad school attempt #1 to try again. This time I've learned my lessons and have a plan of action.

I'll be 28. It has been six years since undergrad. I've worked in that time, but I keep doing more study. Post-grad diplomas, masters, etc. My friends from uni have pretty established grown-up lives, but I keep interrupting mine. I've come to terms with the fact that this path means no real financial security until my mid-thirties.