long story short: I have just finished my bachelor's last fall from CSUF. I also just took a SLPA course from Loma Linda and currently waiting on my license to be able to work as a SLPA. I plan on applying for grad school for next fall (or summer, if i can get into schools with a part-time track). here are some schools I'm thinking of applying to:

University of Iowa

University of Washington

Portland State University

Northern Arizona University

University of the Pacific

If any of you have been a SLPA prior to applying for grad school and have gotten into any of these schools, I would appreciate your input. My #1 concern are recommendation letters. I haven't made much "connections" with the professors during undergrad, I made a few but they were my general ed professors. It's obviously a bit too late for me to try and get to know them because I am done with undergrad. Where did you get your recommendations from? are SLP supervisors good to get those letters from? Also, definitely need help in study tips for the GRE, organizing grad applications, and how to do the statement of purpose. 

HELPPPP.

these are the only questions I could think of for now. LOL. but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! thank you!!

I just finished a year of SLPA work and did not get into any of the above schools....but my circumstance might be different, my GPA was not the highest. 

I would go to your profs anyway, explain your situation (applying to grad school, need letters). It may feel weird and like you're using them, but they know the deal. Only go to them if you got an A in their course. Ask them if you can set an appt with them to talk about grad school and come ready to talk about your career goals. Bring your resume and letter of intent for them to read. I applied to SLP programs this year and was told by my advisor that programs highly value professor LOR or LOR from an SLP you did an internship with.

On 4/12/2016 at 3:29 PM, thatonefilipinogirl said:

long story short: I have just finished my bachelor's last fall from CSUF. I also just took a SLPA course from Loma Linda and currently waiting on my license to be able to work as a SLPA. I plan on applying for grad school for next fall (or summer, if i can get into schools with a part-time track). here are some schools I'm thinking of applying to:

University of Iowa

University of Washington

If any of you have been a SLPA prior to applying for grad school and have gotten into any of these schools, I would appreciate your input. My #1 concern are recommendation letters. I haven't made much "connections" with the professors during undergrad, I made a few but they were my general ed professors. It's obviously a bit too late for me to try and get to know them because I am done with undergrad. Where did you get your recommendations from? are SLP supervisors good to get those letters from? Also, definitely need help in study tips for the GRE, organizing grad applications, and how to do the statement of purpose. 

HELPPPP.

these are the only questions I could think of for now. LOL. but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! thank you!!

I have a 3.4, 303 GRE and worked as a SLPA for one year. I got into NAU's summers only program. NAU does allow you to apply to both full time track and summers only track with the same application. I got into 4 other programs in Texas, Arizona, Alabama, and Tennessee. I advise to apply to different states and some "safety" schools that don't get as many applicants.  I got one undergrad professor for LOR, my clinical supervisor/teacher for the SLPA program, and my current SLPA boss. Study tip for GRE, I used Magoosh. It's 100% online and you can do a little bit a day. Worked great! Raised my score 13 points in just a few months of studying. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
On April 18, 2016 at 3:52 PM, McJoderson said:

I would go to your profs anyway, explain your situation (applying to grad school, need letters). It may feel weird and like you're using them, but they know the deal. Only go to them if you got an A in their course. Ask them if you can set an appt with them to talk about grad school and come ready to talk about your career goals. Bring your resume and letter of intent for them to read. I applied to SLP programs this year and was told by my advisor that programs highly value professor LOR or LOR from an SLP you did an internship with.

Thank you! Sorry this was a bit late of a reply but I wasn't notified that I got any replies at all here.

Anyway, I have tried that though before. However, some professors turned me down because I was graduating and even though I got an A in their class, some of them didn't feel that they'll be able to write me a strong recommendation letter. =/

On April 18, 2016 at 3:41 PM, vheart said:

I just finished a year of SLPA work and did not get into any of the above schools....but my circumstance might be different, my GPA was not the highest. 

I have heard of people with 4.0's still not getting into grad schools. somewhat kinda discouraging. 

On April 19, 2016 at 9:54 PM, slpgradapplicantfall2016 said:

I have a 3.4, 303 GRE and worked as a SLPA for one year. I got into NAU's summers only program. NAU does allow you to apply to both full time track and summers only track with the same application. I got into 4 other programs in Texas, Arizona, Alabama, and Tennessee. I advise to apply to different states and some "safety" schools that don't get as many applicants.  I got one undergrad professor for LOR, my clinical supervisor/teacher for the SLPA program, and my current SLPA boss. Study tip for GRE, I used Magoosh. It's 100% online and you can do a little bit a day. Worked great! Raised my score 13 points in just a few months of studying. Good luck!

That's nice to know that with your choices of whom to ask for LOR, you were still accepted to a lot of schools! That was my initial idea of whom to ask.. except I still haven't gotten a job as a SLPA. I got my license probably two weeks ago. applying for a job is another challenge.

Thanks for the tips! Also, let me know how NAU is, I really want their program since they have a part-time track. 

On 4/12/2016 at 3:29 PM, thatonefilipinogirl said:

University of Iowa

University of Washington

HELPPPP.

Hi there, hoping to hear a little more about the loma linda SLPA program - I messaged you about it..thanks!