Is a professor more likely to take you on if they don't have to fund you?

gatsby2016

I'm in a self funded course only masters program and about half way thru. My school also has a funded MS program. DGS told me I can petition to enter the MS track but I need a professor to take me on. I'm about to see a few professors next week. I've already picked my classes for fall and the professors that I see are the instructors for my fall courses.

I guess I won't be an RA, but I believe TA is doable. Most importantly, the school only needs to fund me for one semester of classes (plus thesis) if I get approved. Does it help me?

How much commitment does a professor needs to put it for a MS student? I guess I'm trying to think from his perspective to gauge my chances. If I write a good thesis or find a topic that he is interested in, would that help? 

I also got an internship position doing research in the field. Would this count as "research experience"?  Or does it only count if you do it in an university?Thanks

23 hours ago, gatsby2016 said:

How much commitment does a professor needs to put it for a MS student? I guess I'm trying to think from his perspective to gauge my chances. If I write a good thesis or find a topic that he is interested in, would that help? 

This would depend on whether or not you're planning to work in that professor's lab or use their equipment to help you do your research. It's going to be impossible for anyone to help you gauge your chances because this is a bit of an unusual situation.

I'm sorry since this isn't directly an answer, but I talked to a graduate affairs advisor from my undergrad. He said that it always helps if a program "doesn't have to pay for you, or for you for the whole time." He was talking about PhDs and fellowships, but maybe it's applicable to your situation.