Question About SSHRC Scholarship

lashe

Hey everyone,

I recently got SSHRC offered to me, however, I have not yet been admitted into the school that it was offered from. Is this something that typically happens? Is there a chance I would still be declined from the school after receiving this scholarship? It is my first time applying for a Master's so I am not sure what is standard for this type of thing! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

Unfortunately yes, you can get the SSHRC and not get a position at the school. Two years ago I received the SSHRC at both Carleton and University of Saskatchewan, but didn't secure a spot. So had to turn it down! Thankfully I received one at the school I did get accepted at :)

Edited by Sevenoffs
Missed something from OP.

On 4/16/2016 at 3:01 PM, Sevenoffs said:

Unfortunately yes, you can get the SSHRC and not get a position at the school. Two years ago I received the SSHRC at both Carleton and University of Saskatchewan, but didn't secure a spot. So had to turn it down! Thankfully I received one at the school I did get accepted at :)

That seems odd. Doesn't the school itself decide who is awarded the CGS-M's from their pool of applicants? Why would a school offer the funding to an applicant if they were not going to offer admittance? 

Edited by thrillhouse

Yes, that does seem odd. But thank you both for your feedback! I guess I will continue to wait and see what happens in the next couple of days with my fingers crossed! 

On April 18, 2016 at 10:30 AM, thrillhouse said:

That seems odd. Doesn't the school itself decide who is awarded the CGS-M's from their pool of applicants? Why would a school offer the funding to an applicant if they were not going to offer admittance? 

Yeah, the new system is weird. It used to be that you were ranked and either got it or didn't, and could take to whatever school you wanted. The schools rank the funding applications completely separately from the actual grad school position applications. Which is how you end up with funding and no position. Ranked well and could pull in money, but the professor I applied with didn't get first dibs on accepting a student that year. <_<

1 hour ago, biggoalies said:

I wonder if you could use the scholarship as leverage to get in the program... I think it's worth trying to contact the GPD.

That works if you get it right away, but if you are waitlisted then often your answer is due before you really know whether you are getting it or not! Worth a try though. 

On 4/18/2016 at 10:30 AM, thrillhouse said:

I was told that there is a general committee for the university that decides the awards, but it is the department that decides if they want to admit you.