Fulbright-Hays 2016-2017

anthroapplicant

I'm surprised this hasn't been started yet!  I have a couple of questions for the veterans:

1. can one of my referees also be my language evaluator?

2. do I have to submit a language evalutation for my native language?

3. how strict is the F-H review committee with respect to the priority fields? I am an anthropology student and my topic touches on economics and development, but doesn't exactly fit into either category. Will I still get those 2 extra points? 

Couldn't seem to find the answers to these questions on the application instructions. Thanks for your help!

I got some answers from DOE for these questions! 

1. "There’s nothing in the application guidelines that would prevent the student applicant from using the same individual for both the recommendation and the language reference form.  However, I would advise the applicant to try and select someone else so that a conflict does not appear.  The evaluators may take that into consideration when reviewing and scoring the student’s application package."

2. "Page 40 of the application states:

Indicate all foreign languages to be used in your research during the fellowship period and obtain a completed Fulbright-Hays Foreign LanguageReference Form for each foreign language listed. If English or your native tongue is the language of research, you must list it here, but a Foreign Language ReferenceForm is not required. Though a reference form is not required, the G5 system mandates a form. For English only, please list yourself as the reference writer and submitthe form. This will alleviate any technical problems with the form. Please see criteria 3 under Qualifications of the Applicant."

I see there is not much interest in the Fulbright-Hays in this forum this year. Is everyone just busy working on their grants and other academic work?

On April 16, 2016 at 0:23 AM, anthroapplicant said:

I'm surprised this hasn't been started yet!  I have a couple of questions for the veterans:

1. can one of my referees also be my language evaluator?

2. do I have to submit a language evalutation for my native language?

3. how strict is the F-H review committee with respect to the priority fields? I am an anthropology student and my topic touches on economics and development, but doesn't exactly fit into either category. Will I still get those 2 extra points? 

Couldn't seem to find the answers to these questions on the application instructions. Thanks for your help!

I applied to F-H in the past. I was told to never use my referees as language evaluators when I applied. Are you in an anthro department? What's your foreign language? Language evaluators are usually from your university's modern languages departments, or other qualified language instructors/faculty on your campus (but outside your department). This may require getting in contact with people you don't know and setting up an appointment to have them evaluate you! 

On the priority fields, F-H is very strict --- that is one of the things that makes it hardest to get one in my opinion! The US government (yes, even the dept of education!) wants to fund "strategic" research abroad, and they'll give you all kinds of extra points if you fit the special language or topical parameters. The only people who were awarded Fulbright-Hays grants in my region when I applied scored ABOVE 100, because of all of those bonus point possibilities. Eek!

3 hours ago, farflung said:

I applied to F-H in the past. I was told to never use my referees as language evaluators when I applied. Are you in an anthro department? What's your foreign language? Language evaluators are usually from your university's modern languages departments, or other qualified language instructors/faculty on your campus (but outside your department). This may require getting in contact with people you don't know and setting up an appointment to have them evaluate you! 

On the priority fields, F-H is very strict --- that is one of the things that makes it hardest to get one in my opinion! The US government (yes, even the dept of education!) wants to fund "strategic" research abroad, and they'll give you all kinds of extra points if you fit the special language or topical parameters. The only people who were awarded Fulbright-Hays grants in my region when I applied scored ABOVE 100, because of all of those bonus point possibilities. Eek!

Thanks farflung! My foreign language is an indigenous Central American language that is NOT in the DOE's less commonly taught languages list... I'll try to make the case that it is a strategic language (it really is...) but it seems unlikely for me to get the extra points. I will definitely need to use an evaluator who does not work for my university. 

But, another question: if my project is on economic anthropology, do you think that will count as an "economic" study? Or do you they really only want economists applying under that heading?

Thanks again!

On April 19, 2016 at 8:12 PM, anthroapplicant said:

Thanks farflung! My foreign language is an indigenous Central American language that is NOT in the DOE's less commonly taught languages list... I'll try to make the case that it is a strategic language (it really is...) but it seems unlikely for me to get the extra points. I will definitely need to use an evaluator who does not work for my university. 

But, another question: if my project is on economic anthropology, do you think that will count as an "economic" study? Or do you they really only want economists applying under that heading?

Thanks again!

In my experience (I'm also in Western Hemisphere), your use of an indigenous language WILL definitely give you a leg up in Fulbright-Hays, even if it's not on the "strategic" list. So talk it up! Hooray! Nearly everyone I know in the Western Hemisphere who currently has a Fulbright-Hays speaks an indigenous language. (PS - you can look at past grantees on the website and see their project titles and where they are working). 

Sure, I think if you're in economic anthropology it totally counts as an "economic" study. And even if it doesn't, I don't think it will hurt you any to try to have your proposal reviewed under that heading. How many economists do you know are wanting to do intensive, area-studies oriented dissertation fieldwork (i.e. the kind of work funded by Fulbright-Hays)? This is quite uncommon in economics, so if reviewers interpreted this category narrowly they wouldn't have people to give grants to! Good luck!!