Reporting GRE Subject Test Scores?

vnatch

Hi, 

I'm a junior, and I've been thinking/planning for grad school apps for about a month now. I just took my GRE Biochemistry subject test yesterday, and lets just say it was harder than I expected. Obviously I won't know my score for about a month (and I always tend to be too hard on myself after exams) but I'm trying to plan for whether or not I should report this score. This thinking led me to a few questions:

What is considered a "good" biochem score for applying to PhD programs? I know that the raw score in itself doesn't matter much, and the percentile is much more important, but I have no idea what the threshold is for looking like a strong applicant. This probably differs somewhat from one school to another; but generally, I am applying to a number of top tier programs (Stanford, Berkeley, Penn, etc.) and also a few middle tier schools (UC Santa Barbara, Boston U, Northeastern). I read somewhere on the Internet that anything about 70th percentile is considered great, but that seems a bit low to me. 

Also, how bad would I have to do for me not to report my score? I've heard conflicting stuff on this as well....None of the schools I'm applying to actually require this subject test, but they say its recommended. I've heard then that a bad score can't hurt you but a good score can help you. I've also read that no matter what the score, its better to report it and show them that you at least tried than to not report it at all. Can anyone validate this? 

I wouldn't report it, but it depends on the program and your background as an applicant. I also took it and didn't do as well as I would have liked (in the mid-80s% range but my cell bio subscore was way lower since I'd never taken a class on that). I ended up applying for neuro programs, some which may have said they recommend or even strongly recommend it, but I don't think not doing so hurt me and I got interviews at similar top-tier programs.

I would probably only submit it if it's above 85 or even 90% for those top schools. I think I would also submit it if your science GPA is low or the graduate programs might not recognize your undergrad institute, but it's your call. It's probably more important from students at less well-know LACs or for international applicants. If you have a high GPA (3.8 or 3.9+), good general GRE scores (90%+), and good recommendations from professors you've done research with, I bet you'll get a lot of interviews!

In other words, if you think it would help your application, I would probably submit it. I do think if it's on the lower side it may hurt you if everything else indicates that you're a super strong applicant.

Also, the biochem GRE test is one tough test that covers an extremely wide range of subjects! The raw scores that get 99% are far far lower than any other subject test, so even if you thought you might not have done well, you might surprise yourself. Good luck!

I think it depends. My overall score was about 70%, but the sub score for the field I was applying to (Molecular Bio) was 97%, so I submitted it and I think it helped a little bit. So I guess the lesson is only submit if you get above 85% in your overall or the specific field you are applying for. 

I never took it, but it was because of the advice from someone at Harvard... she told me it only helps you if you do extremely well otherwise an average (or lower) score can hurt you really badly.  And I just think that unless you have a serious issue with GPA or are changing fields (ie going from a psychology major to wet lab molecular biology research), don't waste the money.  It isn't worth it.

And I'd like to include my obligatory upset 20-something anti-establishment comment; THESE STUPID STANDARDIZED TESTS ARE JUST THERE TO EQUALIZE YOUR APPLICATION NOT ENHANCE IT.  MAN, IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY WITH ETS.

That being said, just make sure you do well on the general GRE... study for like 3 weeks then take it once and you should be fine.  Don't put more money into the hands of ETS!  They're just trying to own you! (I'm partially kidding but mostly unhappy that we still have to deal with this crap going into grad school.  I know, I know, it's there as kind of a check for your undergrad education.  But still.)

9 hours ago, biochemgirl67 said:

And I'd like to include my obligatory upset 20-something anti-establishment comment; THESE STUPID STANDARDIZED TESTS ARE JUST THERE TO EQUALIZE YOUR APPLICATION NOT ENHANCE IT.  MAN, IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY WITH ETS.

Right on! Seriously, standardized tests are dumb and are better indicators of your socio-economic class than your ability to perform well in school.

4 hours ago, kimmibeans said:

Right on! Seriously, standardized tests are dumb and are better indicators of your socio-economic class than your ability to perform well in school.

I know that a lot of schools say it's "recommended" to take the subject test... But my philosophy was that if they weren't going to consider me because of a $200 test, then I didn't want to go there anyway.  If my grades, recommendations, and coursework wasn't enough, then they could go pound sand.  It worked out, so I'd encourage younger applicants to consider not taking it.

I took the Biology test because one program recommended it, and I thought it would help ensure that the admissions committees wouldn't discount my very high GPA because I attended a relatively unknown liberal arts college. I scored in the 95% overall and 98% in my subfield (Ecology and Evolution), but honestly I don't think it affected my outcomes at all. At least I didn't waste any time studying for it, but I did waste the money. 

I've since served on the admissions committee for my current program (which doesn't require or recommend a subject test), and the subject test scores didn't come up at all.  

If not required for a program, I would suggest submitting a subject test score only if it's >85% or if it's on par with or higher than your general GRE percentiles, especially if you have a high GPA (>3.8). Based on my experience, I'm inclined to think that a decent subject test score is really only likely to help a student with a lower GPA or general GRE; I think it is more likely to hurt a very strong application than help unless the score is high (>90%). 

Never took it, wasn't necessary for Harvard/Penn/Columbia/Yale anyway. It depends on your specific application - in general, only take it if you don't have a lot of research experience and need a quick resume booster. 

I was told that the subject test is only recommended when you have a low GPA or when your school's reputation is not known, just to make sure your GPA actually reflects your knowledge in the field.