Graduate Application Advice Needed-Stats are Attached

NOESYChemist

Hello all:

I was hoping to gather advice from others regarding chemistry graduate school admissions and possibly delaying the application process.

My stats are as follows:

Area of interest-Synthetic Organic

B.S. Chemistry 2012 (Top 25 public university, not renowned for its chemistry program)

American student

Cumulative GPA-3.36; Major GPA-3.62

Three semesters of undergraduate research. However, no publications.

Participation in student ACS chapter including a poster presentation at a national meeting.

One departmental scholarship and one departmental award.

Chemistry Subject GRE-75%; General GRE- Have not taken yet.

Currently, I work in industry for a medium-sized (global presence) chemical company. I have over three years of research experience here working on synthetic projects, research and development, and process optimization. During this time I have greatly expanded my synthetic skillset and characterization knowledge (2D NMR, GC methodology, etc.). I have received various awards and a promotion in my current role.

My initial plan was to apply for the Fall 2017 programs when they open. However, based on my ambitious graduate school list and my objectively poor GPA and lack of publications, I’ve considered postponing until 2018. I may try to use my contacts at my undergraduate institution to work in one of the labs of the organic faculty members over the weekends for a year given that I still live in reasonable proximity. My goal would be to have at least one publication to reinforce my application for Fall 2018.

I should point out that I will have three highly endorsing LOR from both academic and industrial chemists (albeit not Nobel Laureates!) that can attest to my research capabilities.

Each of the graduate schools on my list contains multiple investigators that strongly interest me. My top school is Scripps (La Jolla). A comprehensive list follows below:

UI-Urbana Champaign, U Penn, UNC Chapel Hill, Princeton, UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, UW-Madison, Ann Arbor.

To summarize and clarify, do you all think that I should keep working for one more year and put in the time during my weekends towards a publication? Or do you think that I should just move forward with the Fall 2017 application process? I’ve considered applying for 2017 and then re-applying in 2018 if things go poorly. However, I would hate to put my recommenders through the same process only a year later.

Many thanks for your thoughts or advice.

I actually think that your post-bac working experience plus GRE subject test can outweigh your GPA. It isn't as bad as you think especially since you are a local applicant. I think that, if you can, try to get LORs from individuals who are doing academic / basic research instead of industry. One from industry is fine, but hopefully you have more LORs from PI instead of industrial chemists.

I think that you just need a good general GRE score to complete the package. And based on your list, I'm sure you'll get in somewhere as long as you write a good SOP. If you have more than 3 years of research total, I think it is good enough that you can try to apply for Fall 2017.

• 3 weeks later...
On April 18, 2016 at 11:46 PM, NOESYChemist said:

However, I would hate to put my recommenders through the same process only a year later.

Inconveniencing my recommenders was one of my concerns when I was choosing the number of programs to apply to.  The advice I was given (by one of my recommenders, as a matter of fact) was to not worry about troubling them--it's part of their job, and if they've agreed to write a recommendation, it's because they are eager to see you succeed and want to help you as best as they can.  If you feel ready, go for it, and if it doesn't work out and you have to try again next year, then go for it again next year.  Your recommenders will support you along the way, and if they feel they can't write you a strong letter for whatever reason, they will usually tell you to ask someone else.