Dropping out of MPH program to pursue anthropology only. Advice?

yezzy123

Hi everyone!

I have completed 1 year of a master in public health program and I found it utterly useless. I had fed into the idea that anthropologists had to be "anthropologists and something useful," but have decided I just want to be an anthropologist. I'm not on scholarship and I don't want to waste another 50k+ on this MPH. The only problem is that I feel that it will look bad that I dropped out. I've made an okay graduate GPA (about a 3.75). Do you guys think it will hurt my chances for applying for an anthropology PhD program? Do you have any advice on how to proceed and/or spin this?

There's actually a really good option for you if you still want to get your MPH. Look at the University of South Florida because they have a Anthropology PhD/MPH combined program available. So that would still give you a chance to get the degree in MPH that might help on the outside and still get your PhD in Anthropology.

2 hours ago, bioarch_fan said:

There's actually a really good option for you if you still want to get your MPH. Look at the University of South Florida because they have a Anthropology PhD/MPH combined program available. So that would still give you a chance to get the degree in MPH that might help on the outside and still get your PhD in Anthropology.

Another perspective: I'm starting at USF this fall, but opted not to do an MPH. When I visited, I met several students there who are doing it and they basically told me that it's a waste of time/their public health advisors made life more difficult than necessary.

17 hours ago, ecopolitiq said:

Another perspective: I'm starting at USF this fall, but opted not to do an MPH. When I visited, I met several students there who are doing it and they basically told me that it's a waste of time/their public health advisors made life more difficult than necessary.

I'll have to go with ecopolitiq and say that it is indeed useless and I'm really not interested in salvaging the MPH. 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I found out that I can take one more class and get a certificate in public health instead and that would be MUCH more useful to me than a full degree and shouldn't mess up my CV. For anyone stuck in a similar situation, I recommend this route. I'd also say that if you're not sure about an MPH, start in the certificate program. You can always transfer into the masters if you DO like it.