Americorp VISTA vs. Grad School

CCD2016

Hello everyone. I am currently trying to decide between two primary options I have moving forward. To start, I have been considering a year in Americorp in the VISTA program. It is in my area of interest, housing policy and homelessness, and could provide good experience, educational stipend at the end, and in general make me a much better candidate for grad programs. I did not do particularly well on the GRE the first time around, so I could also take the year and try and improve my GRE score. I understand that VISTA's don't get paid much, etc. But if I did Americorp I would have a roommate (girlfriend) lined up in the area that would allow me to control renting costs, etc. 

Additionally, I could go to grad school right away. I got into what would be considered my top option (mainly because of regional preference/it is where I want to live long term) but the problem is I did not get any funding. In general, the school does not give out a lot of funding. I would be fortunate, however, because the program centers on mostly evening/weekend classes so I could work while going to school to help control the loans I would have to take out. Plus, I know more people in the area so I could likely have more opportunities. Additionally, I do not have any loans leaving undergraduate, making myself a little more flexible. Altogether, I would, in a worst case scenario, have to take out 30k for my Master's. More likely, though, I would be able to keep the costs closer to 20-25k if not lower depending on opportunities that arose. 

I guess more specifically, is 30k of debt for an MPA in social policy/policy analysis too much? Like I said, I have no undergraduate debt. 

Advice?

Edited by CCD2016

Have you spoken to the admissions office of the program about any deferment possibilities? Potentially, you would defer enrollment for one year to complete the Americorps VISTA program.

Assuming you are coming straight from undergrad, I would personally recommend taking a gap year to get some work-related experience.

41 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

Have you spoken to the admissions office of the program about any deferment possibilities? Potentially, you would defer enrollment for one year to complete the Americorps VISTA program.

Assuming you are coming straight from undergrad, I would personally recommend taking a gap year to get some work-related experience.

Yeah, I have not directly asked about deferment but I know it is a possibility at the school. I am interested in the Americorp position for a lot of reasons, but namely that it is with a good site, working in an area I am interested in. So, I am leaning that direction for sure. 

I am particularly interested in public policy and social policy/social work. Are there other opportunities, other than Americorp, that you would suggest looking into? Things you did that you found helpful/valuable? 

15 hours ago, CCD2016 said:

I am particularly interested in public policy and social policy/social work. Are there other opportunities, other than Americorp, that you would suggest looking into? Things you did that you found helpful/valuable? 

I was close to accepting a two-year Americorps VISTA position when I heard back from my current employer (anti-poverty advocacy and research non-profit). I work with a couple colleagues who have done a VISTA program, and they regard it as a positive experience overall. I think service learning opportunities like VISTA can provide good prospective if you are interested in connecting direct social work to broader social policy and programming.

Also, if you do defer, ask if there is a possibility that they would re-evaluate your application for available funding next year; by then, you'll have a good chunk of your VISTA program completed, and could ask your supervisors to write letters of rec on your behalf. This possibility varies by department and program, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/23/2016 at 5:19 PM, CCD2016 said:

Hello everyone. I am currently trying to decide between two primary options I have moving forward. To start, I have been considering a year in Americorp in the VISTA program. It is in my area of interest, housing policy and homelessness, and could provide good experience, educational stipend at the end, and in general make me a much better candidate for grad programs. I did not do particularly well on the GRE the first time around, so I could also take the year and try and improve my GRE score. I understand that VISTA's don't get paid much, etc. But if I did Americorp I would have a roommate (girlfriend) lined up in the area that would allow me to control renting costs, etc. 

Additionally, I could go to grad school right away. I got into what would be considered my top option (mainly because of regional preference/it is where I want to live long term) but the problem is I did not get any funding. In general, the school does not give out a lot of funding. I would be fortunate, however, because the program centers on mostly evening/weekend classes so I could work while going to school to help control the loans I would have to take out. Plus, I know more people in the area so I could likely have more opportunities. Additionally, I do not have any loans leaving undergraduate, making myself a little more flexible. Altogether, I would, in a worst case scenario, have to take out 30k for my Master's. More likely, though, I would be able to keep the costs closer to 20-25k if not lower depending on opportunities that arose. 

I guess more specifically, is 30k of debt for an MPA in social policy/policy analysis too much? Like I said, I have no undergraduate debt. 

Advice?

I am a current Teach for America corps member and I considered vista before accepting my offer from TFA. I can tell you that you will not regret doing a year or two of work with AmeriCorps. It is an incredible experience and even when you are done with your education and begin working on the policy side of your area of interest, you will probably never feel as involved in the process as when you are working in VISTA. Not to mention that your GRE/GMAT scores will still be good by the time youre done. VISTA will only help with your eventual admittance into grad school.

Like you said, you will have an additional year to take the GRE. Your application will be more competitive. You will be given an AmeriCorps education award. 

I say go for it!

To answer your last question, I really don't consider 30k to be TOO much entirely, especially if that masters will check all the boxes you listed: top choice, regional preference, girlfriend/personal life wouldn't be negatively impacted, existing network etc. And you may be able to work while you complete it to boot. I will probably finish my masters with a little over 30k total, and I am not overly concerned.