NDSEG 2010

Neurone

Hello,

I didn't see an NDSEG thread, so I'm sorry if I'm creating some sort of redundancy.

Anyway, This is my first time applying for the award, and I see that they ask you to fill in some of your previous awards and honors. Last cycle I got an honorable mention for the NSF GRFP; should I list this on my NDSEG application? I'm worried that they might pass me over thinking that its likely that I'm reapplying for and may win the NSF fellowship. Any thoughts on this?

Kevin

Hello,

I didn't see an NDSEG thread, so I'm sorry if I'm creating some sort of redundancy.

Anyway, This is my first time applying for the award, and I see that they ask you to fill in some of your previous awards and honors. Last cycle I got an honorable mention for the NSF GRFP; should I list this on my NDSEG application? I'm worried that they might pass me over thinking that its likely that I'm reapplying for and may win the NSF fellowship. Any thoughts on this?

Kevin

I would list it.

Doesn't the NDSEG application ask you which other fellowships you're applying for, anyway? The NSF and NDSEG applications are both overseen by the same agency (ASEE) anyway, and I think they might share data.

I'm applying too, BTW.

• 2 weeks later...

I would list it.

Doesn't the NDSEG application ask you which other fellowships you're applying for, anyway? The NSF and NDSEG applications are both overseen by the same agency (ASEE) anyway, and I think they might share data.

I'm applying too, BTW.

Great, thanks a lot and good luck with your application! Also, it doesn't seem like they take publications in edited volumes. Am I correct in thinking this?

-Kevin

Hi,

Is it appropriate to recycle some of the materials from SMART application for NDSEG such as research statement?

Both online applications are pretty much identical to each other, so I was wondering will the two programs share information to each other.

Thanks,

I-Tsang

Did anyone else find it hard to write the "Summary of Goals" statement? I felt like it was impossible to cram everything they asked for into 3000 characters. I write pretty concisely, but I think that 4000 characters would have been the minimum necessary to address all their topics.

I agree, I had an even harder time with the sections like leadership experience with the ridiculous 400 character limit.

But it's done now, no more NSF, NDSEG, now maybe I can get some actual work done... Well at least until March, then it will just be nail-biting.

Did anyone else find it hard to write the "Summary of Goals" statement? I felt like it was impossible to cram everything they asked for into 3000 characters. I write pretty concisely, but I think that 4000 characters would have been the minimum necessary to address all their topics.

I completely agree. Were you able to fit in any references?

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah the character limits were incredibly taxing on my ability to actually answer the questions they asked. The summary of goals was the worst for me. They don't want it to sound like a technical paper, but also want you to display your technical competence while still talking about how it fits into your professional goals all in 3000 characters? Give me a break.

• 1 month later...

The NDSEG website says a little bit about how proposals are judged:

An evaluation panel in each discipline reviews all complete and eligible applications. The applications that are top-ranked by the evaluation panel are then forwarded on to the Department of Defense. The DoD then selects applicants to receive awards based on an assessment of the applicants’ academic ability in fields of interest to the DoD. The NDSEG Fellowship is sponsored by the Army Research Office, the Office of Naval Research, the Air Force Office of Scientific Research, and the High Performance Computing Modernization Program. Fellows are selected by these four sponsoring organizations.

So basically, do something one of these DoD sponsoring organizations likes. If one of these sponsoring organizations has an active program in the area you describe your interest in, that would sound like a pretty good bet. But there aren't really any consistent standards, and who knows what these DoD folks like to see in an application.

So basically, do something one of these DoD sponsoring organizations likes. If one of these sponsoring organizations has an active program in the area you describe your interest in, that would sound like a pretty good bet. But there aren't really any consistent standards, and who knows what these DoD folks like to see in an application.

Interesting; thanks. It seems like the NDSEG cares more about grades/GRE/research niche than any of the other fellowships I applied for. Just given the fact that we got like, 3000 characters for our research proposals shows that they're not too consumed with the specifics. Contrast that especially to the GRFP, where the broader impacts are apparently the most heavily weighted component and GRE scores are optional..

Interesting. The ARO has an environmental sciences division which meshes incredibly well with my field of study. Hmmm....

13 days to go... *taps fingers nervously*

Yeah, my research interests would be supported by only, if anyone, the ARO. Apparently, one way to increase your chances of being awarded the NDSEG fellowship is to have research interests that are in line with all the sponsoring organizations. That, of course, is only easy to do in certain fields, though.

I assume that is referring to when they've finalized the list of awardees, not when the first batch of award notifications goes out.

2010 award notifications are scheduled to be sent the first or second week of April.

Wait slightly extended, it would seem.

Wait slightly extended, it would seem.

Wow...so they post this on their *facebook* page but not their actual website? Sketchy.....

Does the "1st week of April" mean this week (as that's when April begins), or does that mean the first and second FULL weeks of April? Can we really be extended until April 16th? That makes decisions a bit more difficult...

Email:

Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:09 AM

Subject: RE: ndseg notification

Award notifications for both awardees and individuals not awarded the fellowship will be issued no later than the second week of April. As of right now, there is not a set date for the announcements. Please feel free to contact us again should you want to follow up.

Best,

The NDSEG Program Team at ASEE

Email:

Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:09 AM

Subject: RE: ndseg notification

Award notifications for both awardees and individuals not awarded the fellowship will be issued no later than the second week of April. As of right now, there is not a set date for the announcements. Please feel free to contact us again should you want to follow up.

Best,

The NDSEG Program Team at ASEE

Thanks for sharing, kkompiles.

I am assuming they mean the second full week, but it could be sooner ("no later than...").