New Undergraduate Summer Student - Tips and Advice?

scientist410

Hello everyone,

For the first time this summer I am holding a research position in an actual research lab! I am excited but at the same time a little bit leery because it will be the first time I am venturing outside of conventional classroom/wet lab lessons. My field is in the biological sciences (in this particular case - cell/molecular biology).

I wanted to you guys if you had any particular tips and/or advice about how to make the best out of this experience as well as in general conduct with working in the lab?

On 5/2/2016 at 10:48 PM, kimmibeans said:

Don't be afraid to ask for help! Ask as many questions as you need to. There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Along these lines, don't be upset if you screw something up, that's how you learn. 

• 1 month later...

Whatever you do, do not get involved in lab politics. Some people hate each other and will try and suck you into the gossip. You are only there for a summer - stay on good terms with everyone you can. :)

On a less scary note, you are there to learn! As long as you take the opportunity seriously and show respect for the lab members, it is okay to make mistakes, ask questions, and go on trips on the weekends.

Edited by Kaede

Err on the side of quiet, polite & professional as you start off. You don't have to be everybody's best friend immediately. As soon as you figure out the culture of the lab (e.g. what kinds of jokes are acceptable, what the work ethic is) then you can let your real personality start to shine through. Or not. ;)

Bring a notebook to jot down things (so you can remember how to operate a particular instrument/run a piece of software). Go back to your textbook and join the dots between what you are doing in the lab and how it relates to what you've learned in the classroom - you'll appreciate what you're doing a lot more, and it can only strengthen your theory.