Retaking undergrad courses online

Hey guys. Just wanted to get any info about people who have retaken courses online as a non-degree seeking student. Has anyone done this or know of places you can do this? It looks like I won't be getting in anywhere and am wondering where to do this/cost/if it's worth it/if schools would replace an old grade with the new? Retaking a few speech classes could bump my GPA which I know is why I haven't been able to get in anywhere. Any info is appreciated!! 

I think course replacements can be really helpful as long as the schools you are applying to with your elevated GPA don't use CSDCAS. CSDCAS does not factor any grade replacement or grade forgiveness policies into your GPA calculation.  I would not repeat classes if there weren't a significant number of programs I was wanting to apply to that did not utilize CSDCAS. I am a non-degree seeking student at USU. I will also take some classes from WKU this summer as I look toward starting grad school there this fall. I haven't done any grade replacements but have enjoyed my online coursework.

Two years ago I applied to 7 programs and got rejected from them all (I have a lower GPA- and two C's in CDS coursework). I retook the two classes online at Utah State in order to boost my GPA. They were fairly expensive, about $900 each for out of state students, but I think it was worth it (this cycle I was accepted to SJSU, and waitlisted at a few programs that I was previously rejected from). Even if you apply to schools that use CSDCAS, you can add this information into your personal statement to show your dedication to this field. And when you reapply to programs, some of them specifically ask "What have you done to improve upon your application?" (Chapman University asks this via CSDCAS). If you have the time/resources to do this, it can definitely improve upon your application, especially if you also gain more work experience, volunteer hours, research experience, etc. I also highly recommend applying to the same programs you previously did, as it shows persistence and determination to attend that specific program. 

Good Luck! 

Two years ago I got rejected by 8 schools due to gpa and no clinical hours.  I did a slpa program and got my slpa license.  Got accepted to Idaho this round. Anything you can do to boost the resume or fix things is always going to look good.  They like to see that you're not giving up.

Thanks for the input! I've been working in ABA therapy for two years since graduating and I retook the GRE. Last time I was rejected to 10 schools, and this time I was rejected to 3 and waitlisted at 6. I'm hoping that retaking a few classes will finally get me in! @Katie54 what was the program you did your SLPA through? And what was the cost? That is what's really holding me back is putting up even more money to prove I deserve to be in a program!! @Katie54

Edited by Hoosier27
Didn't tag

• 1 month later...

I know of two online programs for SLPA.  CSUN has one and I think its two classes (split up into two semesters) and works out to 3000 (I think).  Then, Chemeketa which was two years and worked out to about the same cost.  The CSUN one starts in winter, I think and pretty sure you can still apply.

sorry for the late reply.