What should I spend my fellowship stipend on?

username1824

A fellowship I'm on gives me some money every year to buy supplies or whatever you need. I have $400 left to spend by May 15, but I'm not totally sure what I should buy. I'm thinking maybe a textbook, and an external hard drive, but that still leaves me with $150 left over. Any thoughts?

I guess it depends on what you need. I need some specialized equipment (not all of which is expensive) so that's what I'd buy. It's hard to say more without knowing your field...

If you've already bought specialized equipment and required supplies, then I'd look at ergonomic equipment.  With all the hours I spend at the computer I suddenly became way less angry when I upgraded to an ergonomic keyboard, mouse, and chair.

Here are some ideas if you don't already have them (all generic things since I don't know your field specific needs):

(in no particular order)

1. Noise-cancelling headphones

2. Ergonomic keyboard, mouse, mousepad, keyboard

3. New desk chair (unfortunately the really good ergonomic ones are much more than $150!)

4. Desk chair mat, if your desk chair has wheels and is on carpet.

5. Filing cabinet

6. Various office organizers to help sort your papers or other work. e.g.. those magazine folders, document trays, binders, folders, hanging folders etc

7. Software! e.g. Dropbox Pro subscription, Papers, any other things you could use

8. Membership fees for your field's national society, if this is allowed

Hope that gives you some ideas!