SoP word limit when guidelines aren't clear?

How would you guys handle it when the websites of certain schools don't list the word limit for SoP and online applications aren't open yet (which might provide details)? Do you treat it as what is required for schools that list it, for e.g. 1000 words, the usual case for psychology programs?

I find that most schools (even across disciplines) have the same general guidelines for SOP length, so I'd write a first draft that would be a "typical" length for the other schools you're applying to. But it's far too early to have a final draft where you need to know the exact word limit. You can wait until after the applications are open and the details appear online before you need to worry about polishing a draft to the point where the difference between 750 words or 1250 words matter.

I would definitely follow the school guideline regarding word length. But if such requirement is not listed on their website, then you should be on the lookout. Many schools incorporate their guideline/instruction, including SOP word limit, in their online application. Once you complete some prior parts of the application and get to the essay/SOP section, you will know if it is 1500 words or 1000 words or no restriction at all.

If you know the typical word limit for a SOP in your field, like 1000 words, then write a SOP with 900-950 words. You will have little problems expanding your SOP if it turns out that the actual limit is over 1000 words for an accepted essay.

Edited by ShogunT