1000 words or 2 pages?

so, all these programs basically require 1000 word SOPs. but, usually the SOP is converted into a PDF file when it is submitted, which means the words can never be counted. additionally, i doubt anyone would count the words given the number of SOPs read.

my question: how seriously do we need to take these word counts? can we just limit our SOPs to a reasonable length, i.e., two pages, going over the 1000 word limit without egregiously abusing it?

I've always heard to take the limit very seriously. Although it isn't a big deal on their side to get an essay slightly too long, it also shouldn't be a problem for you to fit your essay within the limit. Going beyond the limit may indicate your inability to follow instructions and your lack of desire to keep the application playing field fair.

do we really think admission committees think that way? "this candidate shows an inability to follow isntructions" just doesn't seem like the kind of thing that an admission committee will say, analyze, evaluate, or take seriously.

i guess, in the end, its better safe than sorry though.

• 2 weeks later...

I fit 1100 words in 3 pages double spaced (or was it 1.5 space?), at any rate, I think that keeping it near the word limit and also at a reasonable page limit is important. I posted before about being ove 100 and someone said something about how being below or above the requested word count by 10% was acceptable, for some reason that sounded very reasonable to me and I felt comfortable going 100 over, mostly because I was able to keep it to 3 pages.

I fit 1100 words in 3 pages double spaced (or was it 1.5 space?), at any rate, I think that keeping it near the word limit and also at a reasonable page limit is important. I posted before about being ove 100 and someone said something about how being below or above the requested word count by 10% was acceptable, for some reason that sounded very reasonable to me and I felt comfortable going 100 over, mostly because I was able to keep it to 3 pages.

I would second the 10% margin of error standard. That seems to be the most reasonable... except for one school that absurdly wanted 500 words, and I gave them like 590. No one is counting words, I can guarantee you that, so it matters whether it subjectively seems longer. Keeping it from going over on to another page is important here. When there is a difference between what is reported on the grad school application and the department website, it's always on the longer side, and its always going from word numbers to pages. Don't abuse the system and fiddle with the font, spacing and margins, but also don't worry too, too much about 999 words unless you're typing it directly into the app (i.e. unless you're not uploading it as a file). I want to reiterate a point that several wise people have made on these forums: we worry about these things much more than the adcomms do. That said, anything "unprofessional" would look bad.