From good to great quant

ADM12

12 hours ago, ADM12 said:

I am hoping to raise my quant score which is currently 160 to 165+ (90th percentile). Any ideas on how to spend the next 1 to 3 months to achieve this?

Magoosh, perhaps?

It's going to take a lot of studying, either way. :) Good luck!

Sure, I get this question from time to time. You don't mention what you've done so far (which would be helpful to know), but here are a few ideas that will help no matter what, in order of importance:

1. Do all the ETS questions in their books and on the two Powerprep tests. Then review them and determine the optimal way to solve each, what the question is testing, what the reasoning opportunities are to make the question easier, etc. Most people have no problem doing all the questions but very few review them to the point of mastery. For any questions you got wrong, redo them from scratch after you've forgotten the solution.

2. Cross-train with GMAT Problem Solving questions from any old official GMAT guide, and with the last version of the Official SAT Study Guide (don't use the current version). These materials will be invaluable, since both the SAT and GMAT's math questions are written (mostly) about the same math topics and more importantly, reward reasoning to find solutions. Follow my advice about reviewing questions in step 1.

3. Use Manhattan Prep's 5-lb. book of GRE problems.

You'll also want to be taking practice GRE tests (via computer) throughout your study time; start with Manhattan's, do a Powerprep midway and the 2nd Powerprep toward the end.

Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

I suggest a systematic approach in which you take the time to master each topic/concept (e.g., percents, ratios, quantitative comparison questions, etc). So, for each topic/concept, you should:

1) Learn the underlying concepts (rules, attributes, notation, etc.)

2) Learn GRE-specific strategies related to that topic

3) Practice dozens of questions all related to that one topic.

4) Don't stop working on that topic until you have mastered it

Then, and only then, move on to the next topic.

In addition to learning the core concepts and GRE-specific strategies, be sure to work on your endurance and test-taking skills (e.g., time management) by taking several practice tests. 

Regarding resources, be sure to get ETS's Official Guide for GRE. For extra practice questions, ETS has a quant-only book  with 200 questions.

Cheers,

Brent