I'm a rising senior at the University of Virginia, a psych major and my current GPA is 3.1. I want to apply to the VCU MSW program this fall. I am planning on raising my GPA with my summer and fall classes which shouldn't be as difficult as what I've taken so far. VCU is the only school I'm interested in, I've only heard bad things about the GMU MSW program. I'm planning on taking the GRE soon but I'm wondering if it's even worth it. I have an internship coming up at a school for boys on the spectrum, and I have social services related volunteer experience. But even if I get my GPA up to a 3.3 or a 3.5, do I have a shot? I would love to hear the stats of people who have been admitted to or graduated from the program already.

• 1 month later...

Hi vcumswplease,

I was recently accepted in April to VCU's MSW program for the Fall of 2016.  I was a psychology major at GMU with a GPA of 3.59.  However, I attended Temple University for one year (GPA 2.88) and NOVA for a one year (GPA 3.28) before going to GMU.  So, I would say my average GPA is pretty similar to your overall GPA at UVA.  That being said, I would say what worked in my favor was that I was able to show an improvement from my first and second years of college.  I think you still have a chance with a 3.1 GPA, but in your personal essay be sure to explain why it isn't higher.  Another "stat" that I found helped me in the application process was my experience as a research assistant for two years.  I really did not have much social services experience, but the study I worked on dealt with adolescents in the juvenile court system with substance abuse and mental health issues.   So, be sure to mention anything and everything because it might be what convinces them to choose you.

I would not completely write off GMU though.  Their MSW program is a little bit of a mess right now due to it being created relatively recently, but you would still get an MSW at the end of it.  I've always believed education is what you make of it and I think that would be particularly true of GMU's MSW program.  With that in mind, GMU is also situated in an area with numerous field placement opportunities.  The number of connections you could make in Northern Virginia just through GMU's MSW program would be huge.  So, although the program is lacking in some areas, there are still opportunities to have a good experience.

I hope this helps!

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

Dying to know of anyone at VCU that applied to the MSW program for regular standing students received an email for the child welfare stipend. I am trying to figure out if everyone got this email, or if only those accepted did. I figure out this week on the 11 if I get in put just can't wait!!!!

It says this has two comments but I can’t see them? Have you heard yet? I am in the exact same boat and I am terrified. It says on the website that they’re sending out the decisions today on the 11th like you said but then on the same page when you scroll to the bottom it says everyone will hear no LATER than the 11th and I’m so worried they’re waiting until the 11th to send the rejections. 

1 hour ago, Sheltonap said:

It says this has two comments but I can’t see them? Have you heard yet? I am in the exact same boat and I am terrified. It says on the website that they’re sending out the decisions today on the 11th like you said but then on the same page when you scroll to the bottom it says everyone will hear no LATER than the 11th and I’m so worried they’re waiting until the 11th to send the rejections. 

I was accepted in 2015 but couldn't make the finances work. I applied again this year, have not heard back yet. I know today is the deadline! Same boat. 

On 4/8/2018 at 11:31 AM, ans01 said:

Hello everyone,

Dying to know of anyone at VCU that applied to the MSW program for regular standing students received an email for the child welfare stipend. I am trying to figure out if everyone got this email, or if only those accepted did. I figure out this week on the 11 if I get in put just can't wait!!!!

If they don’t tell us today I will literally freak out.

1 hour ago, Sheltonap said:

Offfffff course :(

Anyone gotten lucky, going crazy waiting for my email to come. Refreshed my email a billion times today!!!! Supposedly they are slow :blink:. Going to call someone tomorrow...wondering if this is a bad sign...screaming on the inside!!!!

41 minutes ago, ans01 said:

Anyone gotten lucky, going crazy waiting for my email to come. Refreshed my email a billion times today!!!! Supposedly they are slow :blink:. Going to call someone tomorrow...wondering if this is a bad sign...screaming on the inside!!!!

I just talked to my mentor and he said he called the admissions dept last week and they said we should have received emails earlier and if accepted a paper letter in the mail by the 11th....so I’m sobbing.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Let me tell you something I graduated in 2018 and going to VCU for my MSW was the worst decision I have ever made. Anyone can get accepted to the program and I mean ANYONE. The professors are constantly changing because the burnout was high and a lot of them it was their first time ever teaching. The field placement is a massive joke and a mess and quite frankly don’t give a crap about thier students needs. The program has low tolerance toward anyone who isn’t a liberal democrat otherwise you would be ostracized if anyone finds out you have a different belief system. If you accidentally call some a he or she but their pronoun is they/them you will be condemned by social justice warriors. You will be expected to write a bunch of meaningless papers and if you have taken psych in grad then the first year is basically intro to psych review. It’s a waste of time. Go ANYWHERE but VCU. The program is a mess and they have consideration for their students whatsoever. Save your money please. GMU is actually better than VCU’s MSW program even though they both suck. VCU sucks more. 

On 4/12/2018 at 2:00 PM, msinva said:

I was waitlisted for the DE program. 

On 4/11/2018 at 6:42 PM, ans01 said:

Dude just don’t go