Do I have a shot?

a2Brd

Hi all! 

Just having a little trouble deciding where to apply. Mostly, I'm concerned my top pick is out of my reach.

Undergrad GPA is 3.5 from a large competitive state school. 

Currently in a graduate program. GPA at this time is also a 3.5.

Graduate program is at a small school but has a great reputation. I don't have much research experience from undergrad but my current program requires a thesis and I am doing a lot of independant work in the lab. I received a competitive teaching assistantship and am up for a competitive research fellowship as well. 

I have a pretty specific field of interest and would like to focus my future graduate work on developmental biology, germline development and maternal factors affecting development. 

My GRE scores as of right now: (planning a retake)

Q: 156

V: 157

Written: 4.5

I feel that I will be able to obtain great recommendations but how will my somewhat low GPA affect my application? 

I am very interested in two of the labs at Brown University and two labs at the University of Pennsylvania. These would be my absolute top choices for a Ph.D. Do I have a shot? Should I attempt the subject GRE? Other schools in the mid Atlantic/New England area that may have a program related to my interests? Also my PI currently has some connections with faculty in my area of interest at UPenn. Does this help? 

Any advice would be awesome!! 

15 hours ago, a2Brd said:

Hi all! 

Just having a little trouble deciding where to apply. Mostly, I'm concerned my top pick is out of my reach.

Undergrad GPA is 3.5 from a large competitive state school. 

Currently in a graduate program. GPA at this time is also a 3.5.

Graduate program is at a small school but has a great reputation. I don't have much research experience from undergrad but my current program requires a thesis and I am doing a lot of independant work in the lab. I received a competitive teaching assistantship and am up for a competitive research fellowship as well. 

I have a pretty specific field of interest and would like to focus my future graduate work on developmental biology, germline development and maternal factors affecting development. 

My GRE scores as of right now: (planning a retake)

Q: 156

V: 157

Written: 4.5

I feel that I will be able to obtain great recommendations but how will my somewhat low GPA affect my application? 

I am very interested in two of the labs at Brown University and two labs at the University of Pennsylvania. These would be my absolute top choices for a Ph.D. Do I have a shot? Should I attempt the subject GRE? Other schools in the mid Atlantic/New England area that may have a program related to my interests? Also my PI currently has some connections with faculty in my area of interest at UPenn. Does this help? 

Any advice would be awesome!! 

How many years of experience do you have? This is more important than your GRE and your GPA. Also, who's writing your letters of recommendation? Connections will be helpful if the person knows people in the admissions committee or is very well known. 

Ivy schools aren't all in the same tier in terms of difficulty. Brown and Dartmouth are not nearly as hard for admission as Harvard and Princeton. Your stats are fine for Brown, so far as having a chance at it. Can't comment on UPenn as I don't know. As Bioenchilada said, your other stats will matter. Aim higher and not lower if you have the time and financial means to do so.

Thank you all for the input! 

I would say I'll have about 3 years experience all together once I'm finished with my masters.

As for letters of recs. I will be getting them from my PI who has already stated she would write me a very strong rec and my two thesis committee members whom I've had in classes and labs as well. 

Brown is my top choice so here it goes! 

10 minutes ago, a2Brd said:

Thank you all for the input! 

I would say I'll have about 3 years experience all together once I'm finished with my masters.

As for letters of recs. I will be getting them from my PI who has already stated she would write me a very strong rec and my two thesis committee members whom I've had in classes and labs as well. 

Brown is my top choice so here it goes! 

So, only one of your rec letters comes from a research mentor? 

(I sent you a PM- by the way)

Edited by Bioenchilada

Masters students tend to have an edge for PhD programs. I don't think your GPA is bad. Just make sure your rec letters come from great mentors that can speak to your drive, ability to think of ideas and execute them. Explain in your essay why you did a Masters first (great to talk about needing to mature, or explore science, and now being ready, etc.), and why the PhD is next (because now that you have a Masters, what's the point of a PhD unless you want to be a PI?). Do proper due diligence when picking your schools and tailoring your essays to them. 

I know who you're talking about at Penn since I remember she gave a guest lecture in one of my classes before. Honestly, I would NOT apply to schools simply for the people. You never know what will happen by the time you arrive there (say they filled up all their spots the previous year, or aren't taking new students for the next year, etc.), or the personalities will clash. You should pick a program that you will enjoy in the event your ideal lab and mentor are not available.