Disciplinary Record

BDMballer101

Hey guys, so I was involved in an academic dishonesty incident during my freshman year. There was no academic probation or suspension involved so nothing went on my official student transcript. However, I do have a disciplinary record on file. I was wondering what engineering graduate schools ask on the applications regarding disciplinary violations. Do they specifically ask about it and request access to your disciplinary record or do they only require your official transcript? I am specifically looking at ChemE PhD programs.

Looking at your location of Austin, I don't believe UT-Austin or A&M asks a question specifically on if you received a academic misconduct in their applications. They ask if you have ever been suspended, so you wouldn't have to worry there to answer no. Now some university applications do ask a different worded question regarding academic misconduct I believe. Every university typically should have access to review your disciplinary records (normal people and jobs don't have this right) to see it without your consent.
Now in my opinion, I don't believe any engineering grad programs actually reaches out to your undergrad to verify to see these records (you could ask your records department). If it's not on your transcript it is a lot harder to find out, but it's up to you on if you want to take a risk like that. The risk you take answering falsely can reach a penalty of expulsion from graduate school. The severity of a academic dishonesty hurting your chances depends really on what it can be, but this application question is up to you to answer.

Edited by Texan_Air

I can't answer your question definitively, but I would expect your disciplinary record to be covered by FERPA. If so, your alma mater wouldn't be able to disclose it, nor would other schools be able to access it, without your consent. You could probably confirm that with your registrar.

I also don't recall any questions about disciplinary records or incidents of academic dishonesty on any of my applications, and the only document required from undergrad was my official academic transcript.

Here is A&M's question phrase " Are you currently on academic suspension from a college or university? " and here is Iowa State's question phrase "Have you ever been charged with or subject to disciplinary action for scholastic or other type of misconduct at any school?". I applied to 11 schools last fall and I would say the majority don't ask the 2nd type of application, but some did.

Now for the FERPA, I meant to say that graduate schools are exempt to this when your doing a application for admission with them. FERPA does contain some exceptions to the written consent rule with them being 1. To University officials (including third parties under contract) with legitimate educational interests and 2.To the provider or creator of a record to verify the validity of that record (e.g. in cases of suspected fraud). I remember one of the last things when filling out applications being a statement about this and sometimes you have to check it to say all information provided in this application is correct.