PhD in Hispanic Linguistics vs. Second/Other Language Studies

scarvesandcardigans

Hi everyone / hola a todos,

This might be better suited for linguistics, but I also want to post it here to see if anyone in languages has insight. 

I am a current MA student and I'll be applying to doctoral programs this fall, for fall 2017. I currently study Hispanic linguistics, which I love, but I am also interested in English (native language) as well as other Romance languages and their linguistic structures. My overarching research interests are bilingualism and language acquisition, with emphasis on cognitive processes of bilinguals of these languages in the changing linguistic landscape. This is a lot of information to fit into one doctoral degree, but I have narrowed down my list of schools that I'm applying to and have some big questions before I actually start the process.

The schools that I am looking at right now are: Georgetown, Penn State, Rutgers, Indiana, and UC Berkeley. Indiana offers a PhD in Second Language Studies which allows for the studying of multiple languages from the SLA/TESOL lens, and Berkeley has a doctoral degree in Romance Linguistics (Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, French). I love Hispanic linguistics, and I would love to teach it or primarily research in this field for my continuing study, but I want to additionally study other languages and SLA. 

I'm not sure if I should apply to Hispanic Linguistics programs, or look more into general programs like the ones I have mentioned. If anyone has any experience with these schools or their programs, a program I haven't mentioned, or anyone from the linguistics thread can chime in, any insight would be great. 

Thanks! 

Hi Scarves, I remember you from last year. How's it going? It sounds like things worked out pretty well for you. I'm starting to sweat next year already because of what I am required to do during my second year (a lot of work!)

I'm not familiar with the schools you inquired about, but it seems that you are either going to be in linguistics, Hispanic linguistics, or education :)

It sounds like schools with Hispanic Linguistics would be good candidates for you, possibly with Applied Linguistics as your area. Those types of programs can outsource a lot to the linguistics and education departments, right? Since your interests are pretty well defined, my only advice, which I'm sure you already know, is to start contacting and networking with professors to find one who you can connect with.

Edited by xolo

On May 16, 2016 at 1:54 PM, xolo said:

Yes hi! It's going well. I can't believe how quickly time is flying. I completely understand though about there being a lot of work in the coming semesters. How are things going for you otherwise? 

I have to agree - I think that Hispanic linguistics programs are a lot more flexible in where they allow you to work and with whom. I talked to one of my professors today, an alumna of IU, and she said that even though she worked through Hispanic linguistics, she was able to gain experience in an SLA/psycholinguistics lab outside of the department. I have come to find that other programs seem to be more rigid in where they allow you to take courses. But this could just be information from the schools where I looked. 

It is definitely time to start contacting people though, I do agree with that. Thank you for your input!