so how much did you spend?

cheesethunder

$650 - Application fees (conservative estimate of ~$80 * 8)

$225 - TOEFL

$190 - Postal fees (international, *not* overnight. Including overnighting forms to last-minute extra LOR who was out of the country)

$180 - GRE

$80 - GRE additional score reports

$80 - TOEFL additional score reports

$30 - Transcripts

$25 - GRE prep materials

$1460

$650 - Application fees (conservative estimate of ~$80 * 8)

$225 - TOEFL

$190 - Postal fees (international, *not* overnight. Including overnighting forms to last-minute extra LOR who was out of the country)

$180 - GRE

$80 - GRE additional score reports

$80 - TOEFL additional score reports

$30 - Transcripts

$25 - GRE prep materials

$1460

$750 - Application fees (let's say 10 at $75 a pop... but I'm not sure I'm applying to one or two of those)

$180 - GRE

$120 - GRE score reports (including schools that I didn't end up applying to... shit I realized that its +20 because I'm applying to a different department in one of my schools... that means I have to send them a bunch of things QUICK... good thing I realized.)

$50 - GRE test prep book (my coworker had other books I could borrow, luckily)

$0 - Postage (because I am abroad in a semi-developing country and I don't trust its postal system, all my schools have allowed me to email them writing samples, etc., even if they don't normal accept them electronically, thank God)

$0 - Transcripts (apparently I paid some sort of lifetime fee as part of my graduation... but I don't remember)

_____

$I'll find out for sure when the credit card bill comes.....

14 Application Fees at about $80 Average:$1,200

Admissions Consultant for SOPs: $1,300

Admissions Consultant for CV: $250

2 GRE Prep Courses: $1,200 *Not including gas to get there.

Postage: $45 *Not including gas to get to the post office (sent via USPS W/Delivery Confirmation).

Transcripts: $60

GRE Score Reports: $300

GRE Prep Book: $30

Paper, Envelopes and Ink: A lot of $ but it's not included in this estimate.

Total: Approx. $4,385

I work full time at a professional job and saved for a full 12 months for this. I'm broke now but I wanted to leave no stone unturned this year and went all out since getting into a PhD in my field is very competitive.

14 Application Fees at about $80 Average:$1,200

Admissions Consultant for SOPs: $1,300

Admissions Consultant for CV: $250

2 GRE Prep Courses: $1,200 *Not including gas to get there.

Postage: $45 *Not including gas to get to the post office (sent via USPS W/Delivery Confirmation).

Transcripts: $60

GRE Score Reports: $300

GRE Prep Book: $30

Paper, Envelopes and Ink: A lot of $ but it's not included in this estimate.

Total: Approx. $4,385

I work full time at a professional job and saved for a full 12 months for this. I'm broke now but I wanted to leave no stone unturned this year and went all out since getting into a PhD in my field is very competitive.

Out of curiosity, what did you think of the admissions consultant? I had no idea such things existed. Not that I would have had the $ for it anyway, but now I'm intrigued. How did it affect your applications? Do you think most people would find this service valuable, or only people in your field?

Out of curiosity, what did you think of the admissions consultant? I had no idea such things existed. Not that I would have had the $ for it anyway, but now I'm intrigued. How did it affect your applications? Do you think most people would find this service valuable, or only people in your field?

I don't know how the admissions consultant thing worked out since I haven't heard from any schools yet. I think the real result of if it worked or not will be the indicator of money well spent...or not. As of right now though, I think it was worth it. I think my SOP was as good as it could be and really represented me. I feel confident about my apps and in no way is there a single thing about my apps that I feel like "oh, I wish I would have said this in my app" or whatever. I owet his to my consultant.

In a way I feel like I paid for piece of mind...and it's worth it. I feel like if I don't get in this year then I never will since this year I did a thorough job. If I get into a school, I believe it will be because of the consultant. If I don't, I will just think the consultant (who wasn't directly in my field but teaches in a similar field) just didn't understand the nature of the programs I applied to but will mostly think it actually wasn't her fault, just me and my degree (my master's is in an unrelated field to what I want the PhD in which is a big "no-no" for the departments I'm applying to.)

Yeah, it was expensive but I feel worth it. If you don't get in this year, save money all year like I did and get a good consultant.But again, check back with me in April and I'll let you know how it goes.

Application Fees: $40 (Applied to 4 schools but received waivers for 3 because of AmeriCorps service)

GRE: $150

Prep Materials: $50 (Thank you Borders 40% off coupons)

Transcripts: $65 (Boo Carnegie Mellon for losing mine and requiring me to resend)

$305.

I'm always suprised at how even college admissions can be "bought" in terms of high-priced prep courses/consultants and such. I'm the type that believes if it's meant to be you don't need all of those fancy things. On an AmeriCorps VISTA budget the $305 was a stretch for me.

I'm mid-career so, while expensive, it wasn't prohibitive for me. However, I don't know how those of you who are current students do it!

I couldn't afford it while I was a student, that's why I took a year off. I tried last year and when it became a question of whether I was going to have a place to live or application fees, I realised that I'd have to wait a year.

GRE Books, Test, Scores: 380

Transcripts: 140

Applications themselves: 785

Envelopes, Ink, Postage: 300

1605$

And if you include the lost money from taking an hour cut at work so that I could do this whole stupid process, 5 hours a week, for 12 weeks, at around 14$ an hour (I'm a waitress, so it varies): 840$ (at least)

GRAND TOTAL: $2445

I took out an extra $3000 in student loans because I'm on my own, working as a waitress, and taking full loads of classes and writing a thesis.

Thinking about all this money makes me a little ill...I wanted a new computer because mine is eight years old...that isn't going to happen anytime soon though.

Some of these are approximate because I can't remember. My dad kindly paid for my postage as an applying to grad school gift.

1 GRE: $150

Additional score report: $20

Transcripts: $100

Portfolio materials: $50

Portfolio printing: $35

Application fees: $240

Total: $595 plus about 1000$ in tuition and books for two classes I need for one of the programs I applied to.

I totally didn't realize it was that expensive.

Let's see...

$1100 GRE Prep

$150 GRE test

$220 to send GRE scores

$30 to send transcripts

$100 books to help with the process

$920 Application fees

$2,520

I'm sure theres been other miscellaneous charges somewhere... I sure hope I get in somewhere

Oh, if I include the money for my undergraduate edcaution, add about 200k to that lol

Edited by APHI224