Associates--> BSW--> MSW

I have recently been in discussion with an individual in their mid 20's who has not yet taken any college level course. 

They want to go into the social work field and gain a LCSW. I know that it is a long haul at this point, but I want to try to recommend the most logical and time efficient plan of action.

Has anyone had experience going from the Associates to the BSW to the MSW. When an individual has their BSW, will having an associates  impact  their acceptance into the MSW Advanced/ 1 year programs?

They have not yet taken the SATs/ACT's hence I  recommended that they begin in a community college. 

Any one have any insights? 

First, the person should take the SAT/ACT. That's the biggest concern. He should go over basic algebra, geometry and maybe some pre-calc. The science section, from what I remember, is just basic earth sciences. I recall that everything that I worked through was given in the question; all my knowledge of physics, chemistry and biology counted for little. The reading section is just comprehension. There's also a writing section. Just tell him to take out an ACT prep book to get use to the pace and format.

Second, I came from a BA to MSW, but with several years of work in a non-related field to social work and I was accepted into a program. I did not major in social work. Given this, I do not see the person's undergraduate path as a detriment if his GPA and writing skills are decent. Volunteer work with youth or his population of interest is also a major plus.

I take the person has been out of school for a while since high school, so getting back and putting on the "student cap" maybe a challenge. A community college would help him ease into that "cap." If he does well there then he has a chance to transfer into a decent 4-year college. Some community colleges have contracts with certain 4-year institutions where if you meet a certain GPA you're automatically accepted. He should make sure that the college he wants to transfer to has social work as a major, though, in order to be considered for the 1 yr MSW program.

After he completes his BSW he's in the same boat as everyone who's applying for a MSW. I don't see his associate degree and the age he'll be when applying (around 28/29) as an issue. We have soldiers returning home from war using their GI Bill and entering Columbia. I know another story of a woman who attended community college then transferred to a 4-year public, applied to medical school, and was accepted in Yale School of Medicine. A 60+ yr old man attended community college, transferred to a 4-year public and is planning on obtaining a master's. There are various paths to the end goal. Your friend's application wouldn't raise red flags if he does well all throughout his undergraduate years.

Also, congrats to your friend for wanting to earn a college degree. It seems he knows what he wants and has a good idea on how to go about achieving it.

EDIT: I want to add that attending a CC would be a wise choice financially. As with entering the "helping field," the cheaper the program the better - on all levels, be it undergrad and master's. Graduate with the least amount of debt possible on each level.

Edited by UrbanMidwest

I started out with an associate's degree from community college, and I was accepted into some very competitive programs.  Prior to CC I only had a 9th grade education.  If anything, I think it strengthened my applications by showing perseverance in the face of adversity, which I placed a heavy emphasis on in my personal statement.  I think schools of social work in particular are accepting of non-traditional students because it ties into the social work mission of embracing diversity, empowering disadvantaged populations, etc..  In my opinion, a CC/A.A. background is more likely to be interpreted as a sign of fortitude rather than weakness.

19 hours ago, UrbanMidwest said:

First, the person should take the SAT/ACT. That's the biggest concern. He should go over basic algebra, geometry and maybe some pre-calc. The science section, from what I remember, is just basic earth sciences. I recall that everything that I worked through was given in the question; all my knowledge of physics, chemistry and biology counted for little. The reading section is just comprehension. There's also a writing section. Just tell him to take out an ACT prep book to get use to the pace and format.

Just curiosity, why do you feel the SAT/ACT is so crucial? 

I feel like it will just add time that will be wasted, if an individual can just go to community and transfer into a BA or BSW level program. 

17 hours ago, ediblestranger said:

I started out with an associate's degree from community college, and I was accepted into some very competitive programs.  Prior to CC I only had a 9th grade education.  If anything, I think it strengthened my applications by showing perseverance in the face of adversity, which I placed a heavy emphasis on in my personal statement.  I think schools of social work in particular are accepting of non-traditional students because it ties into the social work mission of embracing diversity, empowering disadvantaged populations, etc..  In my opinion, a CC/A.A. background is more likely to be interpreted as a sign of fortitude rather than weakness.

Did you take the SAT/ACT in this process?

How long was your CC--> MSW pathway/ so far

1 hour ago, HunterGirl said:

I feel like it will just add time that will be wasted, if an individual can just go to community and transfer into a BA or BSW level program. 

Did you take the SAT/ACT in this process?

How long was your CC--> MSW pathway/ so far

I took neither the SAT/ACT or GRE.  I was not required to produce SAT/ACT scores when I transferred from CC to university because I had an associate's degree.  I believe it is a fairly common practice now for schools to waive the SAT/ACT requirement for students with associate's degrees, but I doubt it's true in every case so your friend will need to check each school.  None of the programs I applied to required me to submit GRE scores because I had a high undergraduate GPA.  High SAT/ACT and GRE scores may help strengthen an application, but in my case I didn't feel it to be worth the time or effort and as it turns out, it wasn't.

I spent 3 years in community college and 2 years at a state school to complete my bachelor's degree.  My 3 years at CC can be explained by my deficits in math and science - I basically started out in the lowest level remedial classes possible, and had to work my way up through several courses before I could even take college-level math.  It took a lot longer but was absolutely crucial to succeeding in later coursework.  If your friend doesn't need to take remedial classes, they could easily finish CC in two years.

7 hours ago, HunterGirl said:

Just in case the university asks for it when applying.

As for time, it all depends on how he prioritizes. Again, he should check the universities that have a BSW that he wants to transfer to and if they don't need an ACT then he's fine. If he does then I just see it as another step to achieve his goal. People study for the GMAT/GRE/EPP/MCAT so I don't see the issue studying for the ACT if it's needed. Once he obtains his MSW he'll have to sit for exams after two years of supervised work to gain his LCSW.

19 hours ago, UrbanMidwest said:

Just in case the university asks for it when applying.

As for time, it all depends on how he prioritizes. Again, he should check the universities that have a BSW that he wants to transfer to and if they don't need an ACT then he's fine. If he does then I just see it as another step to achieve his goal. People study for the GMAT/GRE/EPP/MCAT so I don't see the issue studying for the ACT if it's needed. Once he obtains his MSW he'll have to sit for exams after two years of supervised work to gain his LCSW.

But if its not needed..... :D

haha