How to kickstart GRE prep?

garg.ashutosh

Hi I am an MBBS graduate from New Delhi, India. Completed my MBBS on 31st December, 2015. Right now i am a junior resident (non-academic) in the department of psychiatry at the Institute of Human Behaviour and Allied Sciences, New Delhi, India. 

I want to go for GRE Psychology. I am a complete newbie, have no idea where to start.

I basically want to know what all to study. What all things to do besides studying. What strategies to employ. What forms to fill. What people to contact with, if at all? Basically everything. I believe there must be several resources on the net but i am unable to find a coherent source. If someone can guide me to some source like this, it would be wonderful. Otherwise people who have already appeared for GRE psychology, please guide.

Edited by garg.ashutosh
To add more information

I would advise you to go through the various preparation strategies. Let take a look

1. 3 Month Plan for the GRE

2. Take a GRE test to evaluate your current Strengths and Weaknesses. We also have 5 free GRE tests available on our website.

3. Have look at the GRE Freebies available on the forum

4. Have look at our official GRE Directories Quant and Verbal

5. Frequently take tests and practice.

Practice, Practice and Practice.

Best of Luck

If you are totally starting from scratch, I would recommend taking a practice exam to see what you need to work on. Most test prep books will include at least one, and you should have access to an official one when you register for the GRE as well. If the test date you want is available, I would go ahead and register for it so you can get access to the official study materials and then see what else you want.

Decide what to study based on your practice exam scores, what questions you perceived as being really tricky, and what parts of the exam are important to your programs. (They should say how they evaluate GRE scores somewhere in their admissions materials.)

The math on the GRE is not very advanced, but it is full of weird patterns, trick questions, and things that look a lot harder than they are. I would recommend studying it for that reason alone even if you are strong in math. I found it very worthwhile to read up about common types of GRE math questions on SparkNotes so I could recognize a trick question, then do practice questions from the Manhattan Prep books.

I didn't need much help with the verbal section, but there are many helpful comments on this forum about how people improved their score there.