Am I being realistic for Fall 2017?

Hi all! I know it's early for Fall 2017 but I'm starting to try and whittle down my "big list" of schools to the ones I will actually apply to in the fall. I have a 3.3 first degree GPA, am currently taking online prereqs with about a 3.8 GPA for those. My GRE scores are 159 V/150 Q/ and 5.0 AW and as of now I am not planning on re-taking them again. I have good extracurriculars including teaching in a sign language-based school for deaf toddlers, volunteering at an orphanage in Italy, interning under an SLP at a hospital, and working for my undergrad's Disability Services office.

I am trying to have a healthy mix of schools that are a reasonable fit with my GPA/GRE. I've emailed a bunch of them but have either gotten no reply or been told to "Just apply and see what happens". I applied with no prereqs and a lower GRE score last year and was waitlisted for Montclair. So far my list includes: Montclair, Kean, Monmouth, WPUNJ, East Stroudsburg, Salus, SCSU, LIU-Post, and Teacher's College. I was wondering if anyone had any advice, criticism, or suggestions for either adding or deleting a school from this list. I am trying to be realistic (to save myself money and disappointment!), but I know it is hard in this crazy competitive field, and especially hard in the Northeast! 

Thank you:-) 

Edited by lindsayg1993

I would look into Temple as well. It's my undergrad and from what I saw they accept a good number of people every year with a degree in a different field but who have experience in other things - especially people who have done stuff abroad. 

East Stroudsburg accepts a LOT of their own undergrads so I would look at them with caution. No one from my undergrad class got accepted there (even though we all got into multiple other schools) I guess because there's a decreased chance of getting in. 

Hey as just a general preference on my end was only applying to the schools that did not send me generic unhelpful responses like "just apply and see what happens."  Furthermore if the school flat out doesn't respond chances are that same experience might happen again come admissions.  Idk if this is true for others but it worked in my favor when I applied to only schools that had returned my response.  I just think that if they are too busy to talk with you now I feel that may be the same attention your application receives further down the line.  Not a proven formula but one I trust :)

7 hours ago, royffle said:

I would look into Temple as well. It's my undergrad and from what I saw they accept a good number of people every year with a degree in a different field but who have experience in other things - especially people who have done stuff abroad. 

East Stroudsburg accepts a LOT of their own undergrads so I would look at them with caution. No one from my undergrad class got accepted there (even though we all got into multiple other schools) I guess because there's a decreased chance of getting in. 

ESU Alum here. They only take 1/3 of the incoming class from their undergrad , the waitlist on the other hand is about half ESU. But if you are a PA/NJ res it is SUUUUPER competitive 

From My experience with schools - they were focused on the speech course grades (which you look to have done well in!) as well as the writing end of the of the GRE (which you also did great on!) 

the only school on your list I had applied to was LIU Post, from your stats I think you would definitely have a chance. Good luck:)

On May 23, 2016 at 1:47 PM, lindsayg1993 said:

Hi all! I know it's early for Fall 2017 but I'm starting to try and whittle down my "big list" of schools to the ones I will actually apply to in the fall. I have a 3.3 first degree GPA, am currently taking online prereqs with about a 3.8 GPA for those. My GRE scores are 159 V/150 Q/ and 5.0 AW and as of now I am not planning on re-taking them again. I have good extracurriculars including teaching in a sign language-based school for deaf toddlers, volunteering at an orphanage in Italy, interning under an SLP at a hospital, and working for my undergrad's Disability Services office.

I am trying to have a healthy mix of schools that are a reasonable fit with my GPA/GRE. I've emailed a bunch of them but have either gotten no reply or been told to "Just apply and see what happens". I applied with no prereqs and a lower GRE score last year and was waitlisted for Montclair. So far my list includes: Montclair, Kean, Monmouth, WPUNJ, East Stroudsburg, Salus, SCSU, LIU-Post, and Teacher's College. I was wondering if anyone had any advice, criticism, or suggestions for either adding or deleting a school from this list. I am trying to be realistic (to save myself money and disappointment!), but I know it is hard in this crazy competitive field, and especially hard in the Northeast! 

Thank you:-) 

For the online preqs are you getting a second degree or just taking them as a non-degree?

4 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

Is University of Delaware too far south for you? As a new program, they may be less competitive than more established schools.

I was looking into that but thought I read a thread on here saying they were competitive - I might be wrong! It's not ideal but definitely an option. I'm in North Jersey and would like to avoid moving if at all possible. 

17 minutes ago, lindsayg1993 said:

I'm doing the 2nd bachelors through USU! 

I'm thinking of switching the  degree option. Are you almost done? I feel that I won't have enough courses completed by the time apps are in.

7 minutes ago, Alyspeechie said:

I'm thinking of switching the  degree option. Are you almost done? I feel that I won't have enough courses completed by the time apps are in.

I'm doing this summer, fall, and then will finish in the spring. Depending on what you already have done, you might be able to finish in time! From what I had asked with the schools, they don't seem to have a preference (or they didn't tell me they did) if you have a degree or just the classes! 

Look into the SUNY Schools as well, they're a little further away but not all are horribly far (and pretty well priced). I applied with a 3.3 and similar GREs to yours as well as a LOADED resume, but was rejected from most of the schools you listed above. But its hard to say because you never know what you're up against. But I know one of the Grad admissions at one of the schools and she told me one applicant wasn't outstanding on paper but her Letter of intent blew them away so they accepted her. So Don't just think of it as just grades/scores, it's a combination of everything.