Yikes! Typo

I had the wrong school in one place of one of my SOPs - I realized after I submitted and before the deadline was up, but they wouldnt let me change the SOP. Needless to say, I dont think I'll get in:(

It was in the fit paragraph for school X where I said that study at school Y would be perfect for me. Someday I know I'll look back and have a great laugh at it.

I did this at the end of my Indiana University SoP (referring to it as the University of Indiana at the end - doh!). I noticed it the day after I submitted it and re-submitted a new copy via email, and all was okay. But for the hour or so between when I caught the error and when I figured out how to fix it, I was seriously panicking.

• 2 weeks later...

Go ahead... tell me I'm an idiot.

Misspelled a prof's NAME on my SoP. Realized I had forgotten to double check the spelling while I was in the shower a few minutes later. Added an extra letter where it didn't belong. Ew.

This prof is not in the department to which I am applying... I was mentioning some interdisciplinary work I would like to pursue. Still, I'm screwed... right? I wish I had never realized what a dumbie I am. Then this would be cataloged in my brain as just another rejection instead of "rejection due to typo: no hope as soon as I clicked submit".

Misspelled a prof's NAME on my SoP. Realized I had forgotten to double check the spelling while I was in the shower a few minutes later. Added an extra letter where it didn't belong. Ew.

This prof is not in the department to which I am applying... I was mentioning some interdisciplinary work I would like to pursue. Still, I'm screwed... right? I wish I had never realized what a dumbie I am. Then this would be cataloged in my brain as just another rejection instead of "rejection due to typo: no hope as soon as I clicked submit".

this was my biggest fear

some profs have some crazy names

What do they care about other departments? Half the professors you meet will be only vaguely aware that other departments exist. The spelling of names in those alleged departments is a minor matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if capitalizing areas of specialization is a fatal error for admissions? Funny thing was I didn't capitalize the areas of study when I mentioned them in a list as examples and I capitalized correctly when naming courses. However, I did capitalize the field of study when I referred to my main interest (i.e. Social Psychology) as sort of an emphasis on the field... So I said something like, "I would like to study Social Psychology." Apparently, I am not supposed to capitalize "Social Psychology". Otherwise, everything looks fine. My main worry is that they will see that I inapproriately capitalized an area of specialization/interest, which is not a proper noun. Do you think admissions will be picky about this? I keep kicking myself about this...