MA program transfer

Hi all,

I was accepted into an MA program as an out of fielder. I am just now finishing up my prerequisites. I don't really love the school or location as much as I thought I would, and also just found out I will probably never get in state tuition, basically doubling the cost of the program. I'm contemplating re-applying to schools. Starting from square one is terrifying to me, but I'm paying out of pocket and didn't plan on taking out loans. Does anyone have any experience transferring graduate programs?

Thank you so much in advance!

Are you taking prerequisites in a full post-bac program for that school, or just a few courses that that school specifically needed you to complete before you entered their program? If so, which course subjects?

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, why would you risk not getting accepted into another program? I understand your point about cost but, assuming you'll start the Masters program in the fall, you'd be taking a year off and incurring application costs. What kind of work would you do in the meantime? Would it pay enough to be worth losing a year of SLP pay (since you'd get the degree a year earlier by staying in this program)? I'm attending a school in the fall that really wasn't my first choice and isn't in the best location but I didn't get in to my first choice so it would have been crazy for me to turn down this program. Any program that gets you the degree is a good one. Just power through and get the degree.

Edited by castikat

I think you'd need to come up with a more compelling reason to want to transfer than "I don't like the location". It's not "my S.O. got a job transfer" or "my relative got sick and I need to help out my family" or something like that.