Improving my chances of getting into a Neuroscience PhD program

madif

I will be a junior undergraduate student fall 2016. I am thinking of applying to neuroscience PhD programs my senior year and am looking for advice on courses to take and any way I can improve my chances of getting into a program.

Basic info: I go to a large engineering/science focused school (Purdue), pursuing a BS in Brain and Behavioral Science, at graduation I should have 2.5 years experience in a neuroscience lab on campus and a cognitive psych lab, I should have at least 1 first-author publication, I will be enrolled in the research-based honors program, overall GPA currently a 3.34 (will rise to around a 3.7 by application), 3.96 major gpa. 

I am currently contemplating what kind of courses I should take the next couple of years. My first semester of college I completely screwed up and received a C in both biology and chemistry. Should I retake these courses and take other biology/chemistry courses? Or, should I take computer science courses? I am thinking of taking courses on both Python and C. Should I take a physics course? Any other suggestions on how to prepare myself and improve my application?

I am planning on taking the GRE this winter. Do you recommend taking the psychology subject test in addition to the regular GRE?

Edited by madif

First off, congratulations on being so pro-active. Now is a great time to start looking ahead to graduate programs. 

The most important thing for you to do right now is to make sure your GPA goes from a 3.34 to at least a 3.5 by application season. A 3.5 GPA and plenty of experience in the lab will get you into any program. Continue to work as hard as you can in the lab, but do not let your GPA stay below a 3.5. If you have a 3.5 GPA and a lot of research experience, your GRE only needs to be average. 

Are you more interested in computational neuroscience or proper neuroscience? If you like computational, then of course take more programming. If you want to work on cells and animal models, take more biology and chemistry courses. Physics is also important for neuroscience since you will be studying what is essentially circuitry in the human body. I would not waste time with psychology courses unless you want to do systems neuroscience or behavioral neuroscience. 

Finally, never retake a course in which you earned a C. Retaking the course may make your GPA look better, but graduate schools will still ask to see the original grade. I would just do better in a more advanced course to prove that you understand the material. And only take a subject test if it is required. 

Good luck! 

Edited by blc073

Hey! 

I just graduated from Purdue with a BS in Cell, Molecular, and Developmental Biology and starting my Ph.D this summer. You should PM me so I can better advise you about what courses you should take and whatnot. Boiler up! ;) 

1 hour ago, Bioenchilada said:

Hey! 

I just graduated from Purdue with a BS in Cell, Molecular, and Developmental Biology and starting my Ph.D this summer. You should PM me so I can better advise you about what courses you should take and whatnot. Boiler up! ;) 

Don't take advice from this guy, he has no idea what's going on! ;)