Prereqs as non-degree or get a post bacc degree?

Hi guys, 

I will be applying to grad school for fall 2017 and am deciding between getting a second degree (post bac CSD) or just completing the required courses needed at the schools I'm applying to ( no degree). The degree option will take longer and cost more. I'm already with a huge loan from undergrad but I do need to raise my GPA to get into grad school...

Alyspeechie, 

I just took specific courses that I needed to qualify for 3-year masters programs and I got in (you can see my stats and school below). My plan if I didn´t get in was to keep taking courses until I finished an entire 2nd degree. Unless your GPA is terrible low, I would go for the pre-reqs. It is the shortest and most affordable path. 

In my state, I cannot work as a SLP Assistant unless I have a bachelor's in CSD or complete a SLPA Associate's. I want to have the option of working as a SLPA either during grad school or if I don't get accepted on the first shot. It's also cheaper to complete the pre-reqs paying the UG tuition at USU than it would be to take the same classes as part of an extended master's. Depending on which grad school, it could be up to a $20k difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Keep in mind that you might not be able to receive financial aid for doing pre-reqs as a non-degree student. It depends on the school. 

Also, look at all the schools you think you want to apply to and find out what they require for pre-reqs. It varies greatly from school to school and might be just as many as getting a second degree, or you might want to get the second degree just so you don't have to worry about taking every pre-req course required by every school you want to apply to. 

If you can save money, go for it, but just keep these things in mind.