Applyong to MSW Program Advice

ssmmvv

Hi everyone!

I am a recent graduate from CSULB. I am applying to a MSW program for Fall 2017, but I am lost in my journey. I have a few questions for anyone who can answer them.I am considering applying to CSULB, CSUF and CSULA.

I will be paying for school all on my own and I still have undergrad loans so I am looking for something affordable but a good school.

What is the cost for the MSW program at each school? What are current students paying?

What time are classes? I've heard they are later in the evening

I know that experience is important so what kind of experience did you have when you got accepted? I dont have any background in social work and I feel that my experience isnt up to par so I am nervous about my chances getting into any of these schools.

Stats:

Major: Sociology

GPA: 3.4

5 Month internship working with foster youth

3 years working with at risk children under 18

Greetings, and congrats on your graduation! 

I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability:

MSW costs- Look on the department's website for the schools that you intend on applying to. While figures won't be listed for the 2017-2018 academic year, you can get a rough figure on what the sticker price will likely be, given current rates. I have nearly half of my tuition covered. Larger schools have more money to shell out, so factor that into where you're applying (some out-of-state larger schools are more affordable with funding than smaller in-state schools with no funding).

Class times- Look online and see if previous terms' syllabi are online for you to view. Otherwise, e-mail admissions and ask when classes are generally offered. Some MSW programs are geared toward people that work 9-5 (thus evening classes), while other institutions expect full time commitment (with mostly daytime classes).

Experience- Working with at-risk and foster youth are DEFINITELY related to social work. Given the experience that you have, I think that you will be fine, although it doesn't hurt to have more experience. When doing personal statements, talk about your experiences and how having a master's degree will propel you in your desired field.

Best of luck to you! :)  

• 7 months later...