Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

3 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I'm already feeling the dread, nervousness, and disappointment because my email box is empty. Reminding myself that it is still early in the day and Utah hasn't rejected me yet.

I'm feeling the same way :(

Hi all, 

Im new to posting forum but I've been reading all along... I applied to SLC, Arcadia, Rutgers, Mt. Sinai and LIU. I haven't heard from any and I'm freaking out! Anyone have any leads? I have a 3.95 gpa and awesome experience but terrible terrible gre scores... Maybe I'm not even getting interviews due to the gre scores? I'm really freaking out!

10 minutes ago, Elisheva said:

Hi all, 

Im new to posting forum but I've been reading all along... I applied to SLC, Arcadia, Rutgers, Mt. Sinai and LIU. I haven't heard from any and I'm freaking out! Anyone have any leads? I have a 3.95 gpa and awesome experience but terrible terrible gre scores... Maybe I'm not even getting interviews due to the gre scores? I'm really freaking out!

I know SLC has sent out interviews already, I think I was probably one of the last people because there were only 3 dates left open when I chose my interview date. As for Rutgers, I know they're reviewing my application this week, and they told me they would have a result for me sometime by the end of this week, so maybe you'll hear back from them this week as well. =)

Ok thanks - I was checking back on last years replies and some people heard back from SLC as late as February 24th so maybe there's still hope? I also sent in my applications at the last second so maybe they're at he bottom of the pile of that makes any sense? I don't know... I'm hoping

@Elisheva That could be it! I think I submitted mine the day before the deadline as well, but I never thought they would choose me because I haven't taken Embryology. There also could've been interview dates in April but I didn't check, so maybe you're right =)

I'm hoping that's it! Btw, @KeepSwimming2017, congrats!. I also submitted my applications the day before it was due. I do wonder how much they focus on the GRE's if everything else is great. Im a terrible standardized tests taker... The disparity between my scores and everything else is almost funny... I guess I'm playing the wait game like everyone else!

48 minutes ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

@Elisheva That could be it! I think I submitted mine the day before the deadline as well, but I never thought they would choose me because I haven't taken Embryology. There also could've been interview dates in April but I didn't check, so maybe you're right =)

I noticed that they just opened up a new interview date in April (it definitely wasn't there yesterday).  By the time I realized that the interview date I signed up for was going to conflict with a mandatory work conference, all of the other interview dates were already filled/unavailable. I was in the process of drafting an email asking if tthey could work me in for a different date, when I noticed that a new interview date had appeared in April. So maybe there is another wave of invites coming for April slots?

Edited by metabolismo

@metabolismo I just noticed that too! I had to do mine on March 28th - I had taken off 4 days from work to go to California for a birthday trip but that's not happening now, lol. But yeah, maybe they're still reviewing applications and sending out interviews.

3 minutes ago, Elisheva said:

@metabolismo, thanks! That gives me a bit of hope... I think it's just weird I haven't heard from anyone yet interview invitation or rejection.  Anyone whose done this in the past, do you know how much emphasis is put on the GRE's? 

Many places don't send things out until later February. I applied to 8 programs and have only heard from one so far. 

This is my first cycle, but I mentioned a while back, I attended Stanford's webinar. They said that they don't put a HUGE emphasis on it, but the GRE scores are needed because the final "obstacle" of this program is passing a standardized test. The program director at Stanford said they prefer to see that someone can pass a standardized test because they don't want to put in two years of education for someone to not be able to pass the certification exam. It's a waste of time for both the program and the student. 

A high GPA can offset this of course, but if for an unfortunate reason you don't get in this cycle, definitely work to get your GRE scores over 50% (preferably 60%+) and I'm sure you'd have no reason to not get in a second time :)

A GC applicant I met online sent me this table as to when you'll be hearing back from schools. I'm noticing some changes in dates already but this may offer some comfort to others.

BnKfThn.png

7 minutes ago, bubusaur said:

A GC applicant I met online sent me this table as to when you'll be hearing back from schools. I'm noticing some changes in dates already but this may offer some comfort to others.

BnKfThn.png

I posted that table on, like, page nine of this thread, maybe? I just made it by a aggregating the data from the results tab,  so it's not gospel or anything. I was just trying to make a quick reference for those not wanting to dig through the results from previous years. 

7 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

Well, the official utah rejection letters are out now. Andddddd with that, that's a wrap on my applications for the cycle! 0/3. Not even an interview :(

Aww man. I'm sorry to hear that :(

20 minutes ago, Ultrapeaches said:

I posted that table on, like, page nine of this thread, maybe? I just made it by a aggregating the data from the results tab,  so it's not gospel or anything. I was just trying to make a quick reference for those not wanting to dig through the results from previous years. 

Oh cool! So you made this!

I got it from someone else so I guess I found the origin!

8 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

Well, the official utah rejection letters are out now. Andddddd with that, that's a wrap on my applications for the cycle! 0/3. Not even an interview :(

I'm sorry. I've got no words for you - that really, really sucks.

@Blizzard Ugh - I am so sorry to hear that. The best thing to do is contact each of the programs you applied to following the conclusion of the application cycle to see where you could improve for future years. Persistence is key!

31 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

That really sucks, I'm sorry.  

16 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Rejected from Utah and Oklahoma. Fun day

Ugh. I'm sorry.

1 hour ago, Blizzard said:

I'm so sorry, definitely apply next year! I've talked to so many GC's who took two years to find their program. I'm already planning what to improve on my application for next year.

1 hour ago, Ultrapeaches said:

I'm sorry. I've got no words for you - that really, really sucks.

To add to make an even better week, I had a chance to buy back my first car last night. Called the kid this morning to make an offer, because hey I just found out I'm not going to grad school for at least another year and so I have the money now, and he sold it literally as I was leaving the voicemail. 

So I'm not really sure how the last 6-7 days could get any better. 

1 hour ago, Blizzard said:

To add to make an even better week, I had a chance to buy back my first car last night. Called the kid this morning to make an offer, because hey I just found out I'm not going to grad school for at least another year and so I have the money now, and he sold it literally as I was leaving the voicemail. 

So I'm not really sure how the last 6-7 days could get any better. 

Time to take yourself out for a nice dinner or get a massage or something!