Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

Hey guys, for those of you who mentioned that you'll be looking for jobs for the upcoming year, check this out. It's an opening for a genetic counselor assistant position at Hopkins:

JOB opportunity:

We are looking for a new college graduate who majored in biology/genetics, etc to fill a genetic counseling assistant position at JHU.  Successful candidates will be interested in a genetic counseling career in the future.  The genetic counseling assistant with have the opportunity to work with 3 busy genetic counselors, and also opportunity to shadow in clinics.

Please review and apply to the position using the following link:

https://jobs.jhu.edu/jhujobs/jobview.cfm?reqId=313236&postId=13847

If you are interested, please email your cover letter and resume to Brittney

Murray at bmurray@jhmi.edu and apply using the link above.

1 hour ago, AspiringGC said:

Sort of not related, but my school is offering a weekend class to become certified as a phlebotomy tech, which is really awesome because becoming a phleb tech normally takes 3 months to a year just depending on the program! It's currently full for this weekend, but I am the first one on the waiting list so hopefully I can get in :) 

If I don't get into grad school this year, this certification could open up more job opportunities for me and might look good on my future application, so that's cool. 

That's so great! I did that too this year and would say it's a really great way to become comfortable with patients. I'll be crossing my fingers hoping a spot opens up!!

6 hours ago, Ultrapeaches said:

Personally, I'm always looking for an reason to dress up. No one's gonna dock you points for looking like you're taking this interview thing too seriously, y'know? Here are the only two photos I have of my outfit from my Emory interview - one is a ridiculous selfie of me breaking low-carb edge that I sent to my partner. I'm thrilled that I had interviews as an excuse to buy these pieces - I feel like a stone cold fox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgu2dot3utvaojm/outfit1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tmfpwrzvoy1w7r/outfit2.jpg?dl=0

I agree re this, always better to overdress than under dress, unless you are applying to work at a startup. (I mean no ball gowns or anything ;))

Also you look great! Hope the interview went well too!

Edited by raindaywoman

I have to say, I've been depressingly watching everyone on this forum post and post about all the schools and interviews they've gotten, making each rejection worse and worse. Then finally on Friday I got waitlisted for an interview at Northwestern and I was on cloud nine. I'm starting to realize that it's basically another rejection though, as I'd only get an interview if someone cancels theirs, and that's assuming I am at or near the top of the list, correct? And chances of someone cancelling their interview are slim too right? Because you won't know if you got in to the other schools you interviewed at until the acceptance match day thingy? Ugh, so my little cloud nine moment, and with it my hope, is quickly disintegrating. :(

50 minutes ago, daisyhunter said:

I have to say, I've been depressingly watching everyone on this forum post and post about all the schools and interviews they've gotten, making each rejection worse and worse. Then finally on Friday I got waitlisted for an interview at Northwestern and I was on cloud nine. I'm starting to realize that it's basically another rejection though, as I'd only get an interview if someone cancels theirs, and that's assuming I am at or near the top of the list, correct? And chances of someone cancelling their interview are slim too right? Because you won't know if you got in to the other schools you interviewed at until the acceptance match day thingy? Ugh, so my little cloud nine moment, and with it my hope, is quickly disintegrating. :(

Hey! Just wanted to say I was there last year. (and partially there this year) I'm a sort of unique applicant in that I am over thirty and finished my degrees 9 years ago. My GPA wasn't the strongest, but I would say I have a really strong resume. Some schools are looking for those numbers and some the other part of the picture. Most likely it had more to do with its the wrong school or the wrong time - and in the end they are getting 200+ applicants for 6 positions. And getting a waitlisted interview IS a big deal :). If this is for you you'll find the right school and the right time, soon. :)

Edited by raindaywoman

1 hour ago, daisyhunter said:

If it makes you feel better, I was in that position last year. It really sucked in the moment but I think in the long run, it ended up being a great thing. I was super disappointed after I didn't get in last year but it gave me the chance to get feedback from directors and figure out exactly what they're looking for, improve my application A TON, and learn more about the field. Now I'm even more confident this is what I want to do (I've also heard some people not get in and discover it wasn't their calling and that's just as amazing). I look back on my application last year and laugh because I'm not even close to the same person/applicant I was a year ago. Just remember, this is an incredibly competitive field so even being considered is a huge compliment. There's also no shame in being a 2nd year applicant :) 

7 minutes ago, GCInTraining said:

If it makes you feel better, I was in that position last year. It really sucked in the moment but I think in the long run, it ended up being a great thing. I was super disappointed after I didn't get in last year but it gave me the chance to get feedback from directors and figure out exactly what they're looking for, improve my application A TON, and learn more about the field. Now I'm even more confident this is what I want to do (I've also heard some people not get in and discover it wasn't their calling and that's just as amazing). I look back on my application last year and laugh because I'm not even close to the same person/applicant I was a year ago. Just remember, this is an incredibly competitive field so even being considered is a huge compliment. There's also no shame in being a 2nd year applicant :) 

If you don't mind me asking, what types of changes did you make when reapplying this time around? How are you different now than last year? I ask because you have an impressive amount of interviews and right now I only have 1 :-) 

22 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

If you don't mind me asking, what types of changes did you make when reapplying this time around? How are you different now than last year? I ask because you have an impressive amount of interviews and right now I only have 1 :-) 

Well thank you :) I think a lot of it had to do with taking a gap year and moving to a new place. It sounds cheesy but it really forced me to be independent and gave me time to focus on grad school applications while being out of school. I currently work as a genetic counseling assistant which has been amazing and I'm able to shadow a ton (both in and outside of work) so I have a much better grasp of the field (googling and minimal shadowing only does so much). I also added two advocacy jobs, one at a crisis line and one at planned parenthood. It also gave me time to re-take the GRE and I ended up doing significantly better (it's a bit easier when you're not studying for it on top of classes). I'm SO glad I took a gap year and I feel like now I'll have more of a choice of programs rather than going to my last choice school just because it's the only one I was accepted at.

38 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

Just think if you do end up a second year applicant you'll be even more prepared and confident in the career and school you've chosen. Hope you hear back from the other schools soon!

9 hours ago, Cricket643 said:

March 15-16. When is yours?

Mine is March 29th & 30th! They're spanning interviews over three weeks then hey @robyn94 @Cricket643
Interesting. It may be based on location. I'm in Western Canada, so a bit of a distance. I'm glad I got booked for late March though, the flight cost would have been unfortunate if it were early March hahaha.

I'm still waiting for Utah. I emailed last week and they said that if I hadn't gotten an interview or rejections I was on the waitlist. I also still don't know anything about Pittsburgh, other than they were hoping to get the invites out last week, which I saw someone got! The waiting is starting to make me feel like it just isn't going to happen. 

On the plus side, I go to VCU this week  for my interview so at least I know it will be an exciting week!! I also feel like there is a good chance UCI may start sending stuff out this week.

43 minutes ago, adragonisnoslave said:

All right - tips on answering the dreaded "tell me about yourself", if it comes up? 

I always give a brief overview of myself: major, where I went to school, a bit about my family, why I am interested in genetic counseling, and (for GC school specific) maybe a briefly go over any genetic counseling experience/relevant experience. 

Definitely doesn't have to be long, I always think of that question as a time to through down my "elevator speech". 

1 hour ago, AspiringGC said:

I always give a brief overview of myself: major, where I went to school, a bit about my family, why I am interested in genetic counseling, and (for GC school specific) maybe a briefly go over any genetic counseling experience/relevant experience. 

Definitely doesn't have to be long, I always think of that question as a time to through down my "elevator speech". 

So mostly just restating the personal statement? 

2 hours ago, adragonisnoslave said:

All right - tips on answering the dreaded "tell me about yourself", if it comes up? 

I just give a quick overview of main points from my education/work background - where I went to school, what I studied, one or two notable work experiences and what those entailed. 

I also avoid anything "personal" like family, hobbies, hometown, etc..I did a mock interview last cycle with a clinical psych professor who I was a research assistant for and her advice was to try and keep everything discussed to mostly professional experiences/accomplishments that are unique to you (unless of course the interviewer asks you a more personal question!) She also said that "tell me about yourself" is a good moment to highlight what experiences were most important to you, not just rattling off bullet points from your CV/personal statement. 

I keep it brief, only like a minute or so to refresh on what my background experiences are. Some interviewers don't have notes/papers/questions prepared in front of them, if this is the case a lot of what they ask you about following this question will be based off of whatever you brought up. 

44 minutes ago, adragonisnoslave said:

So mostly just restating the personal statement? 

I'd agree on what @kbash said! Not so much restating my personal statement, but still giving them a good, insightful look on what makes me "me" and unique. I only ever mention my family because both of my parents are military, so we moved around a lot when I was growing up and that really shaped who I am as a person today. 

Hey everyone! I just wanted to share this Ted talk about genetic counselling with you all. Jacyln provides a great summary of what genetic counsellors do, and also shares some powerful insight into the challenges and rewards of the profession. I think this video is useful to share with anyone who would like to learn more about genetic counselling. I liked it, and I hope you enjoy it as well! 

14 minutes ago, robyn94 said:

Hey everyone! I just wanted to share this Ted talk about genetic counselling with you all. Jacyln provides a great summary of what genetic counsellors do, and also shares some powerful insight into the challenges and rewards of the profession. I think this video is useful to share with anyone who would like to learn more about genetic counselling. I liked it, and I hope you enjoy it as well! 

Thanks for sharing!

Some of the questions I got last year, I thought I'd share:

What would your friends say were your best qualities? Your worst qualities?

What do you think is the hardest part about being a Genetic Counselor?

Tell me about memorable case you remember from shadowing.

There was a scenario question, I don't really remember the particulars but it amounted to - what would you do if you did a genetic test on a couple and their child and found out that the father was not the biological father of the child (a recessive disorder) and the couple were worried because they wanted to have more children.

Edited by raindaywoman

@KeepSwimming2017 A whole lotta nothing :-( I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can lock down atleast 1 more interview. My heart Is at Rutgers but I'd love to get more interviews so I have options. I don't think we will hear from them until next week though considering they're a new program

@GCFaith92 My heart is at USF for multiple reasons and my heart is hurting because they've been so silent! ='( But I'm thankful for the interviews I do have. Rutgers is a new program too but they were on top of things, they sent out interviews like, within two weeks of their deadline, lol.

3 hours ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

@bubusaur @Ellaie @GCFaith92 Have you guys heard anything from USF as yet? It's driving me insane just sitting here...waiting...

Nothing yet.  I mentioned on this thread last week that they told me in an email they were hoping to send out interview invites this week though.

I have both of my interviews this weekend (tomorrow and monday) and I'm freaking out! Any last minute tips or previous interview experiences it might be beneficial for me to know? Especially regarding the typical "what are your best/worst qualities?" questions. Thanks guys!