Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

Congratulations to everyone that got accepted somewhere this year!!  This is a really exciting time!  I'm looking forward to connecting with you all in the future at conferences or other events.

For those that didn't get in, I know exactly what you're going through.  I was a 2nd year applicant, so I know how crushing it is to realize you put so much time into things and didn't get accepted anywhere.  I applied to 7 schools last year and only received one interview at UCI and was wait listed.  This year I applied to 10 and received 6 interviews.  I know so many people have already said it, but it really is such a common thing to be a 2nd or 3rd year applicant in this field.  There just aren't enough programs yet for all the qualified applicants.  For anyone looking for advice on strengthening their application or wanting someone to proofread their essay for them next year feel free to reach out!  I don't want to put my contact information on this board, but shoot me a PM and I'll give you my email or facebook info.

55 minutes ago, GCInTraining said:

This one: https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/63509:)

I also volunteered at Crisis Text Line (advocacy you can do from your couch) and Planned Parenthood. Also, the more shadowing you can get, the better!

Ahh I'm a CTL crisis counselor too!! So exciting to see fellows CCs on here. <3 

@No1992 At first I wasn't handling it very well, but I'm starting to see the silver-linings a bit.  Today is my birthday, so I kind of wish that I had just been rejected on match day.  Being told I was high on the wait list makes me hopeful for next year though, and the clinic I shadowed at has said they'd love to have me back for more experience.  I'm a little worried about the true match system for next year, because I'd like to stay in Canada if I can, but am thinking I need to expand to the States if I'm really serious about getting in next year.

Just when I thought all hope was lost yesterday, I found out that I was moved off of the wait list for SLC! I just accepted the offer today. Will anyone else on this thread be attending??

And to everyone who didn't get in this year, I'm really sorry- I feel you. It can be discouraging to go through the interview process only to be turned down. But you should be proud of yourself for making it this far! Remember that not everyone is offered an interview, so you are a competitive applicant already! Your committment and dedication will only shine through when you apply again, plus you have more time to beef up your CVs

4 minutes ago, robyn94 said:

Just when I thought all hope was lost yesterday, I found out that I was moved off of the wait list for SLC! I just accepted the offer today. Will anyone else on this thread be attending??

And to everyone who didn't get in this year, I'm really sorry- I feel you. It can be discouraging to go through the interview process only to be turned down. But you should be proud of yourself for making it this far! Remember that not everyone is offered an interview, so you are a competitive applicant already! Your committment and dedication will only shine through when you apply again, plus you have more time to beef up your CVs

I'll see you there!

Just now, robyn94 said:

@bubusaur Cool! Did you call or email Janelle when you accepted, or did you just reply on the application page?

I replied on the application page only. I was just wondering if I should have called. But she did say that to accept, we just need to do it online, so I'm guessing it's fine.

2 hours ago, No1992 said:

@adragonisnoslave@TAGC@robyn94 I feel you guys. I interviewed at two schools in Canada, got on wait lists but no prize. So difficult to think about the next steps from here (not sure if this is the right time to do that any way). How are you guys handling everything?

Since I've known since March, I'm doing fine now. Once I got the last rejection that I was holding out hope for, I cried. Bummed around about it for two more days and then put my full force into finding a job. That instant turnover really did help me since I accepted a position two weeks ago!! I start June 5th :)

2 hours ago, GCo.Hopeful said:

For those of you who got in this cycle and it was your second time applying, what sort of jobs did you look at to strengthen your application?

I recently accepted a position as a Client Services Associate (will be promoted to a Client Services Manager once I'm trained) at a national home healthcare agency. My role will basically be handling the scheduling of RNs, health aides etc, for our clients who need assistive care. I will also work on the hiring process of new nurses, sometimes do home visit of new clients, and do payroll and other paperwork needed. This will give me experience of working with patients, a better view into the healthcare field, as well as some experience with insurance. 

The other way I am trying to strengthen my application is to continue to take one or two classes at my university to improve my science GPA/take grad level courses to show that I can do the work. There is a grad level nursing class that is based on genetics and its role in healthcare that I am about to sign up for. And I'm still in the process of trying to set up weekly (at a minimum monthly) shadowing with one of the cancer genetic counselors in town. I just recently joined "The Red Shoe Society" which is a young professionals group that works with the local Ronald McDonald house, so I can gain some networking as well as help with fundraising and volunteering at the RMH. I will have to quit my weekly volunteering at the AIDS foundation, but might be able to do their walk in hours still, haven't figured that out yet. I was also thinking about doing the crisis textline as well, as that is an area I am lacking in, but I feel that my new career along with the other things I have in the works should be fine for advocacy experience. 

2 hours ago, Gadgette said:

So....is it too early to start the Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 thread? 

Congrats to everyone who got in! As much as I'd have loved to been one of you, I am sincerely happy for each and everyone one who got an acceptance.

Everyone else- it definitely stings to have not gotten in. But look what we accomplished! We put ourselves out there, poured our hearts and souls into reaching our dreams! That's no small feat. 

Def start one if you'd like! I'll definitely join in. I've still been lurking ever since I got my last rejection. 

2 hours ago, GCo.Hopeful said:

@Elisheva Do you know when is it acceptable to contact them and ask how we can improve?

I was going to reach out mid-May, probably a little after my graduation as I know they still have a lot of things to handle and work out with the incoming class. Since I applied to 8 schools, that's kind of the silver lining to me as I will have TONS of feedback to work from!

Edited by AspiringGC

Well looks like I'll be trying second match/applying again next year as well. I worked all day but had my phone, waiting to hear something from Oklahoma about the waitlist but never did. They said they'd let me know either way but I got nothing. Did this happen to anyone else? 

I'm just wondering, this was a sentence I received in March from Augustana, (a program I received a interview from last year). It seems a bit borderline icky.

"If and when all other things were equal between applicants, preference was given to applicants from areas of the country (USA) which are known to be underserved or have workforce needs."

48 minutes ago, raindaywoman said:

I'm just wondering, this was a sentence I received in March from Augustana, (a program I received a interview from last year). It seems a bit borderline icky.

"If and when all other things were equal between applicants, preference was given to applicants from areas of the country (USA) which are known to be underserved or have workforce needs."

I received that same email from them and I also felt it seemed off and not really right. Just because you live in a underserved area doesn't mean you will go back there to work, nor would there even possibly be a job available for you. I'm not sure why they decided to make that a criteria as if you can choose where you really grew up at.

16 hours ago, minja134 said:

I received that same email from them and I also felt it seemed off and not really right. Just because you live in a underserved area doesn't mean you will go back there to work, nor would there even possibly be a job available for you. I'm not sure why they decided to make that a criteria as if you can choose where you really grew up at.

Huh. I was clear that I wanted to return to Kentucky and serve more rural communities and no one seemed to care. I was self conscious about being one of the only applicants I met who didn't come from a big city or go to a prestigious school for undergrad. 

Welp. Who knows what they want.

• 1 month later...

It's been a long time since I posted to this thread, and congrats to those of you who were accepted and are preparing to take the next step in your lives! How exciting! I'm posting because this seems odd to me and really really frustrating: It seems pretty universal we were all told if we didn't get so much as an interview, to contact the program AFTER May 1st to get review on our applications, right? So I did that. I waited til after May 1st, hoping the stress from match day would die down, and since I work in higher ed I know the stress that surrounds finals and end of term week for so many. Anyways, I waited and then contacted shortly there after. Left voicemails or emails. None of them got back to me. So I contacted again last week, and have received contact from 2. But today, this was an email I got, and it's actually really making me upset:

"(My name)

Due to the large number of requests coupled with the limited availability of faculty this summer, we have a short opportunity to offer feedback on applications. Please call (Program director's name) on [One specific date in june in a 4 hour block], eastern time zone. If you are unable to make this time, unfortunately  we are unable to schedule an alternative day/time."

I removed my name, the program director's name/contact info and the date obviously, but has anyone else received anything as curt at this? This program was my top choice, and I was planning to apply there again next cycle, but they really make me feel like they can't be bothered if you weren't good enough to get in a first time. It's really discouraging. especially in contrast to how friendly they were last summer and fall, when I was a potential applicant. Is anyone else experiencing anything similar with trying to get feedback on their applications? My coworker applied to PhD programs this cycle, and his programs were more than happy to share review. 

5 hours ago, Blizzard said:

It's been a long time since I posted to this thread, and congrats to those of you who were accepted and are preparing to take the next step in your lives! How exciting! I'm posting because this seems odd to me and really really frustrating: It seems pretty universal we were all told if we didn't get so much as an interview, to contact the program AFTER May 1st to get review on our applications, right? So I did that. I waited til after May 1st, hoping the stress from match day would die down, and since I work in higher ed I know the stress that surrounds finals and end of term week for so many. Anyways, I waited and then contacted shortly there after. Left voicemails or emails. None of them got back to me. So I contacted again last week, and have received contact from 2. But today, this was an email I got, and it's actually really making me upset:

"(My name)

Due to the large number of requests coupled with the limited availability of faculty this summer, we have a short opportunity to offer feedback on applications. Please call (Program director's name) on [One specific date in june in a 4 hour block], eastern time zone. If you are unable to make this time, unfortunately  we are unable to schedule an alternative day/time."

I removed my name, the program director's name/contact info and the date obviously, but has anyone else received anything as curt at this? This program was my top choice, and I was planning to apply there again next cycle, but they really make me feel like they can't be bothered if you weren't good enough to get in a first time. It's really discouraging. especially in contrast to how friendly they were last summer and fall, when I was a potential applicant. Is anyone else experiencing anything similar with trying to get feedback on their applications? My coworker applied to PhD programs this cycle, and his programs were more than happy to share review. 

Hi, so I have sent out emails to all my programs. Basically only three have replied all telling me to contact them after June 4th, 6th, or 9th (different for each program), but I haven't received anything like that. I was bummed as I waited until the 25th to send these emails and was still told I need to wait a could more weeks until they have time. All programs that responded to me have said that they'd be happy to discuss my application... I feel that is a little rude of a program to only offer such a short time.. but I guess I don't really understand what other things they may be dealing with on their end... but still. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/23/2017 at 4:41 PM, UTGC said:

I did a writing exercise for UT Houston so no guarantees it's the same sort of thing, but I bet it's not terribly different.

I was nervous about it too, but it's really nothing to be worried about - honestly it'll probably feel like a "break" from the actual interviews. At UT, they put us in a room by ourselves and we just answered some simple prompts. It was mostly situational and about interpersonal things (not quizzing you about genetics or anything similar), like "how would you respond if your supervisor told you XYZ?". In my experience, they definitely provided sufficient time to complete the exercise and I didn't feel like there were any difficult or trick questions. They just want to get to know you and this is another way for them to learn about how you think.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any more questions about how interviews are conducted!

Hi I applied to UT Houston 2019 fall. Do you know when they are going to send out the interview letter? I am very nervous. I didn't have any genetic counseling shadowing experience. I feel that it is impossible for me to get in.