Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

20 minutes ago, Ultrapeaches said:

Congratulations! It's so exciting to these updates, even for schools I did not apply to - it's really happening! Every email could be an interview invitation! 

Do you guys already have an interview outfit put together? What're you wearing?

9 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I have my shoes picked out because they're super cute and I literally walked 10 miles in them one day with zero issues.  I'm thinking nice slacks, collard shirt, and a suit jacket? I'd rather be over dressed than under.

I am about to start looking for outfits. I want something modern, but not too edgy. Definitely thinking slim fit/skinny dress pants with a matching blazer and a nice blouse. I'll likely wear professional heels and then bring a pair of flats just in case. 

I've been too scared to go shopping as I don't want to jinx myself, so I was waiting until February or when I first hear I have an interview. 

49 minutes ago, slaybackc said:

I am about to start looking for outfits. I want something modern, but not too edgy. Definitely thinking slim fit/skinny dress pants with a matching blazer and a nice blouse. I'll likely wear professional heels and then bring a pair of flats just in case. 

I've been too scared to go shopping as I don't want to jinx myself, so I was waiting until February or when I first hear I have an interview. 

I interviewed with Northwestern last year and mostly everyone was in suits/dress pants blazer combos. I personally wore a gray suit with a purple dress shirt and low heels. There were around 10 people there that day and from what I remember there was 1 guy in a suit (only guy at my interview date), 1 girl in a nice dress/blazer, 1 girl with a skirt suit, 1 girl a little more casual with a 3/4 sleeve blazer and non-matching dress pants (but I don't think it looked bad), and otherwise nothing else stood out to me. I would definitely stress wearing shoes you can walk in as most schools will give you a tour at some point. Northwestern we spent about an hour walking around campus before going to a wine and cheese event afterwards where you were also standing and mingling for an other hour.

Also on a different note, I know a lot of applicants are women (myself included) and I think I heard Northwestern had 4 guys they interviewed last year, so it can sometimes be a little intimidating on both sides being both the only guy in the room or interviewing the same day as a male applicant.

4 hours ago, Finley764 said:

I agree, I was also surprised to hear from them already -- I applied fairly early though (late November) so that's probably why.  Let me know when you hear back, I would love to meet other applicants as I know no one applying this cycle and therefore have no one to commiserate with :) 

I wasn't nervous when I read this, but I just went back and saw that I applied late November too... I think my final letter didn't get submitted until a couple weeks ago so that might be the reason why.

5 hours ago, Gadgette said:

Currently typing this from Cloud 9 because I got an interview with Virginia Commonwealth!!

Congrats!

I just got an email too a few hours ago, when's your interview date?

Edited by atx09

2 hours ago, Finley764 said:

That makes sense, I think my letters were all in within the week for that one, because I had one of my apps due early Dec. Let me know when you hear/choose your date!! 

Will do! What dates were there to pick from?

13 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I asked for the 23rd. You?

Hi everyone! So happy to have found this site! Nice to have a little community. I'm nervous people have started hearing from VCU. I'm in-state and VCU is definitely my top choice. Anyone know how they send out their interview invites? Is it a lost cause at this point...?

Hey Everyone! A little late to the party but wanted to connect with all of you guys who are also applying this cycle and hopefully leave behind some info for people coming through next year!

I am in the NY metro area and this is my first time applying to programs. I have a B.A. from 2011 in Education, and went back in 2014 to do my science prerequisites at another university. I have been working part-time/full-time while completing these, and so have definitely been on the 'slow and steady' path! Have had the opportunity to gain a lot of new experiences along the way, however, so no regrets. Would be happy to answer any other questions about my background.

I also got an email interview offer for Cincinnati last week, one of my favorite programs! I was given a date next month. If anyone else is heading out there, let me know - maybe we could be airport buddies!  Still no word from the rest of the programs, but know it is very early.

Non-GC-related hobbies include baking, reading, and my dog (10 month old puppy!). 

Good luck to everyone awaiting for news and applying this cycle!

8 hours ago, Gadgette said:

I just got mine this morning via email. Don't despair! It seems like this is pretty early in the season and lots of places haven't started notifications yet.

Ah thanks for talking me off the ledge! Can't wait till this process is over...

1 hour ago, JennyVt said:

Ah thanks for talking me off the ledge! Can't wait till this process is over...

I got mine through email also, but I definitely agree that it's really early in the season

I called UTHouston last weekend because I thought something was wrong with my application (luckily the director put me at ease and said my app would still be reviewed) and she told me not to worry too much about interview notifications. She said most schools will normally send out near the end of Feb.

Hi everyone! Just found this thread so I'm definitely a little late but still nice to find a community to share our experiences with! 

So I'm in the LA area, graduated with a BS in Microbio & Mol. Genetics in 2016 with a ~3.2 gpa. I went back and forth about whether to take more time off before applying but ultimately decided to go for it - applied to CSUS, UCI, Utah, UTHouston, UPitt, Mount Sinai & Case Western. I have experience interning with/shadowing a GC in a women's cancer research study and hospital, and am currently volunteering with a crisis helpline + sitting in on case conference meetings with genetic counselors at a nearby research hospital. I got an email interview offer for Case Western a couple days ago! 

Non-GC hobbies: hiking, going to the beach, going to concerts/music festivals :) 

So great to read about all of you + your interests, & see that we're all going through the same process/worries/struggles/excitement! Good luck to you all!!

Guess I shouldn't have freaked out so soon because I got an interview at VCU! Yay! If anyone wants recommendations for places to eat or check out in Richmond, let me know! It's a great city with lots to do. 

2 hours ago, gc843 said:

Is anyone else interviewing at VCU on Feb 23rd??

I am!! Are you staying with a student?

34 minutes ago, JennyVt said:

Guess I shouldn't have freaked out so soon because I got an interview at VCU! Yay! If anyone wants recommendations for places to eat or check out in Richmond, let me know! It's a great city with lots to do. 

That would be awesome! My husband is joining me on the trio out since he's never been there either. I figure if we're moving across the country we should make sure it's a good fit for both of us.

Congrats on the interview! What day did you get?

The NSGC is hoping to get the bill regarding CMMS recognition introduced to the house in the first quarter of this year. That could be great and really interesting to follow.

Edited by Gadgette

On 1/25/2017 at 3:21 PM, GCFaith92 said:

Yeah It seems different for sure, but I was debating applying just as a "safe" school. But I am unsure. Does anyone know anything about U of South Florida? I did their application via SOPHAS (which is a money scam and awful!!) After paying to have my transcripts sent to SOPHAS they make you enter every single course and its code and grade your received anyway! OR you could pay $90 to have them enter it for you (on top of the $135 application fee for SOPHAS) and than I had to do a supplemental application for the specific genetic counseling program which cost an addition $35. 1 of my transcripts was sent on 1/4/17 and STILL not received. I'm getting so frustrated!

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. I just finished submitting my last application yesterday, to USF! I've also applied to Rutgers, Brandeis, Emory, and Sarah Lawrence. USF is my top choice, because I already live in Orlando which is just an hour away, but I've been having so much difficulty with SOPHAS and transcripts. I don't think they'll even review my application because my transcript evaluation won't be submitted by the deadline, and they have absolutely no leeway. So I'm pretty bummed about that.

1 hour ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. I just finished submitting my last application yesterday, to USF! I've also applied to Rutgers, Brandeis, Emory, and Sarah Lawrence. USF is my top choice, because I already live in Orlando which is just an hour away, but I've been having so much difficulty with SOPHAS and transcripts. I don't think they'll even review my application because my transcript evaluation won't be submitted by the deadline, and they have absolutely no leeway. So I'm pretty bummed about that.

I applied to Rutgers and USF! SOPHAS was the death of me! I still didn't get confirmation from the school despite me having everything in. It was so expensive too!!! I'm just hoping I get an interview somewhere, even if I don't get in this year, an interview will give me good practice and some confidence. I no they give feedback if you get rejected so that's always nice. I am nervous my GRE scores will keep me out of every program this year despite my experience and GPA but time will tell!! Best of luck with SOPHAS, I submitted my transcripts on the 4th and it was just received on the 25th. They said from the day they receive the transcript, they have 12 business days to process it :-( hence why it took them so long.

So I'm curious, have you all thought about what type of Genetic Counseling you'd like to do? I know it's likely to change throughout school and GCs often switch multiple times in their careers.

I love working with people with developmental disabilities, so I'm thinking metabolic or neurogenetics would be right up my ally. I'm also really interested in the genetics of mental health, especially given the amount of people with companies DD and mental health diagnoses.

52 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

So I'm curious, have you all thought about what type of Genetic Counseling you'd like to do? I know it's likely to change throughout school and GCs often switch multiple times in their careers.

I love working with people with developmental disabilities, so I'm thinking metabolic or neurogenetics would be right up my ally. I'm also really interested in the genetics of mental health, especially given the amount of people with companies DD and mental health diagnoses.

I'm super interested in a metabolic specialty too! As well as cardiovascular. It'll be interesting to see how rotations and such either solidify our current interests or change them. 

56 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I'm leaning towards prenatal ? I love the idea of family planning and helping people have healthy babies.

General genetic counseling might be up my ally too. I love working on something new everyday, so doing a little bit of everything would be fun too. 

But I'm totally open to any field that catches my eye during rotations. 

17 hours ago, slaybackc said:

I'm leaning towards prenatal ? I love the idea of family planning and helping people have healthy babies.

General genetic counseling might be up my ally too. I love working on something new everyday, so doing a little bit of everything would be fun too. 

But I'm totally open to any field that catches my eye during rotations. 

I am certainly into Prenatal as well! Before I settled on wanting to be a GC I was torn with reproductive medicine. I certainly want to deal with families and planning. I love learning about cancer as well though since it effects almost everybody to some degree, and has effected my life twice with people very close to me. Time will tell where we land :-)

18 hours ago, Gadgette said:

I am not sure; I'm open to different things. I like working with parents and families, so initially I thought I would end up at a pediatric hospital, but I could also be happy doing something public health focused.

Edited by Ultrapeaches